SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zooropa sounds like multiple songs pieced together, which is how it's actually created. what if U2 patched 2 different sections of songs they made during past sessions?

Many many U2 songs sound like they have been pieced together. They don't spend forever in the studio playing full songs as a band. It's a massive 'copy and paste' exercise, underpinned by endless self-doubt and producer swapping.

GOYB is the most extreme case that I can think of right now.

One problem is, casual fans see the Kimmell show, love the new song, go to download it and can't. It's not available anywhere and nobody knows when it will be - that's a missed opportunity again for them.

It's great to see they obviously have confidence in the new song, but even JK referenced hearing new music 18 months ago and making a point of saying when on earth will people get to hear it?

It's great to see they obviously have confidence in the new song, but even JK referenced hearing new music 18 months ago and making a point of saying when on earth will people get to hear it?

Which is great news. They would not have let him ask questions about the new album, or remotely engaged with him if they weren't more progressed than "not sure, still lots of work"

Which is great news. They would not have let him ask questions about the new album, or remotely engaged with him if they weren't more progressed than "not sure, still lots of work"

Totally agree with this. The pulled video also tells me one of two things: either Bono and gang were not happy with it (unlikely) and asked that be removed, or a single release is imminent and they wanted to scope the single promotion so people would have to download via iTunes. If it was me, I would release a new single right before or right after each new leg of the TJT tour. There are 3 legs to the tour of I recall, so there are 3 singles right there. Drop the tour announcement and release date between legs 2 and 3, release the album late summer, like early September. Take winter off for rehearsals or promos, start the tour early 2018.

One problem is, casual fans see the Kimmell show, love the new song, go to download it and can't. It's not available anywhere and nobody knows when it will be - that's a missed opportunity again for them.

This is a problem I run into all the time when I see opening acts at shows. I listen to what they play, like some of it, then make a mental note to check it out later only to find out that they don't have a debut or new album yet.

I've seen Royal Blood twice now, both times opening, and the second show was where they debuted a new song they wrote as the opening track. Last week, I finally got to hear a studio version of it over a year-and-a-half later.

Like the others said, that does give me a bit of incentive to check out whatever is released later. But it's still kind of frustrating, haha.

This is a problem I run into all the time when I see opening acts at shows. I listen to what they play, like some of it, then make a mental note to check it out later only to find out that they don't have a debut or new album yet.

I've seen Royal Blood twice now, both times opening, and the second show was where they debuted a new song they wrote as the opening track. Last week, I finally got to hear a studio version of it over a year-and-a-half later.

Like the others said, that does give me a bit of incentive to check out whatever is released later. But it's still kind of frustrating, haha.

That Band though :love:

Can't wait to hear their new album ! HL&S is a killer song :D

Oh, definitely. I first saw them open for the Pixies in 2014 when no one had heard of them and they pretty much blew me away. When I saw them open for Foo Fighters a year later, they had a few alternative rock hits by then and, more shockingly, had gotten much better live.

Definitely one I wouldn't mind seeing again as a headliner!

Yeah, after listening to the Kimmel version, I was singing Little Things all night long. Love both "sides" of the song. Do wish there was a little different transition from the first section to the second, but still love it.

They really, really shouldn't be playing this live and on Kimmel if it's not finished.

Ok, So don't be too harsh here. But I thought, it would be cool if the two section of Little Things were brought together a bit. If Bono would sing the "little things" chorus from the first section in the second "sometimes" section to make it more of a complete sounding song.
So i did a little edit and threw it in there. The only place i could fit it was in Edge's solo section where Bono was keeping his Shephards Pie hole closed. So around 4:08 you can hear what i did.

Tell me what you think, obviously quality isn't great since i'm overlapping two parts of the song.

cheers.

https://soundcloud.com/nian-fiedler/things-that-are-little-womanfish-edit

Agreed. It's a strong pivot, but it's strong.

It works thematically too: the first verse seems to be Young Bono talking to Old Bono (I'm not a ghost now / You need to see me), and the second verse is something like the confession Young Bono wrings out of Old Bono -- breaking through the rosy bs and getting him to admit his self-doubt and sense of doom. So the second half is a response to the first, a strong pivot to a new speaker and a deeper, confessional lyric. And that's exactly how the music feels to me -- opening up and getting down to what's really wrong.

Man, the version from Kimmel is really damn good. I think I really like this song. Why did they take that clip down?

Agreed. It's a strong pivot, but it's strong.

It works thematically too: the first verse seems to be Young Bono talking to Old Bono (I'm not a ghost now / You need to see me), and the second verse is something like the confession Young Bono wrings out of Old Bono -- breaking through the rosy bs and getting him to admit his self-doubt and sense of doom. So the second half is a response to the first, a strong pivot to a new speaker and a deeper, confessional lyric. And that's exactly how the music feels to me -- opening up and getting down to what's really wrong.

good stuff :up:

LOL...:lol:

Oh you're serious...uh, U2 doesn't want that as the 'seminal' version...they have an album to release...in the near ( :doh: ) future...:yes:

Honest question....has an artist ever promoted a song on TV that was not part of a released or confirmed to be released album, or a released or confirmed to be released single?

They promoted a song that essentially does not exist or to everyone's knowledge has no plan on existing....it's fucking odd as hell.

We were all pissed about Invisible not being on the album when they played Fallen but we all had a copy or the ability to buy a copy of the song.

This really is bananas!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Honest question....has an artist ever promoted a song on TV that was not part of a released or confirmed to be released album, or a released or confirmed to be released single?

They promoted a song that essentially does not exist or to everyone's knowledge has no plan on existing....it's fucking odd as hell.

We were all pissed about Invisible not being on the album when they played Fallen but we all had a copy or the ability to buy a copy of the song.

This really is bananas!

Didn't Kendrick Lamar perform an unreleased untitled track on The Colbert Report in 2014?

I'm not making fun of the question or the poster, I'm just saying 'This is U2,..c'mon, everything they do is planned and calculated. Removing the video from the Internet is a way to protect their intellectual property'...it's not in the wild yet, so they don't want that version of the song to become the penultimate version. They want to control what they release and when they release it.

And U2 has done this before...Womanfish anyone???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom