SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming... - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2017, 01:36 AM   #121
Refugee

Local Time: 09:26 AM

Old 05-24-2017, 02:18 AM   #122
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:26 PM
Question from someone who didn't see it - is it possible they are just providing standard answers because they don't yet want to give away their plans?

Old 05-24-2017, 02:30 AM   #123
ONE
love, blood, life

Goosebumps. Can't see through the tears.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:35 AM   #124
War Child

Local Time: 01:26 AM
I'm always pessimistic when people say that such and such is going to be a big hit.

But I really think this has the potential to be a huge hit.

Also, I know it's super early and I haven't had a long gestation period, but I think this might fall in my top 3 of songs released after 2000.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:08 AM   #125
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKnight View Post
I'm always pessimistic when people say that such and such is going to be a big hit.

But I really think this has the potential to be a huge hit.

Also, I know it's super early and I haven't had a long gestation period, but I think this might fall in my top 3 of songs released after 2000.
Idk! It's too early for me to tell! It's a nice song but it hasn't really grown on me. I'll reserve judgment until I hear the studio version. So far it's average for me or maybe slightly better! I do love the ending though!
Old 05-24-2017, 03:13 AM   #126
ONE
love, blood, life

The thing for me is that the criticism of the build being too slow is fair, especially when it closes a Joshua Tree concert.

In this forum, and certainly in recorded, album form that build is better the longer it goes, and the release is just so epic, and gets bigger right at the end now too.

I love the new lyrics - its like Bono decided that the style of honesty worked well, and he went all the way there for that new last stanza.

In all, this is the most excited I've been for a new U2 song since the first time I heard City of Blinding Lights.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:16 AM   #127
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Sounds fantastic with good audio, what did the band say about the album?
Old 05-24-2017, 03:16 AM   #128
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:26 AM
I am not getting the hype about the new song either. Sounds like a B side to be honest. Will wait for the album version before I pass my final judgement but it's nothing special so far.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:21 AM   #129
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by akann View Post
I am not getting the hype about the new song either. Sounds like a B side to be honest. Will wait for the album version before I pass my final judgement but it's nothing special so far.

This is the type of post I don't get "am not getting the hype", some people have hype because they enjoy the new song, it's all about personal preference and opinion, there really isn't anything to "get", if you don't enjoy it then that's all good, but some do, such is life
Old 05-24-2017, 03:30 AM   #130
Refugee

Local Time: 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUEFC09U2 View Post
Sounds fantastic with good audio, what did the band say about the album?
They said it would have been finished by now but Edge still mixing (I think) and Edge said "a lot" of work to do and jokingly said it will be out within 27 years.... so really, no new information at all.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:35 AM   #131
ONE
love, blood, life

Video from Jimmy's youtube account

Old 05-24-2017, 03:36 AM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargedVT View Post
They said it would have been finished by now but Edge still mixing (I think) and Edge said "a lot" of work to do and jokingly said it will be out within 27 years.... so really, no new information at all.

Not looking great for this year is it?, I keep flip flopping between it will defiantly be this year to it won't be this year :-(
Old 05-24-2017, 03:43 AM   #133
Refugee

Local Time: 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUEFC09U2 View Post
Not looking great for this year is it?, I keep flip flopping between it will defiantly be this year to it won't be this year :-(
Just seems like they are hesitant about committing to a firm date. I wasn't expecting this album to land until at least October so obviously they are going to work to finish it off over the next few months.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:51 AM   #134
Refugee

It's worth keeping in mind that the band are inevitably going to be cagey about firm details, even if the album is indeed finished.

They'll want to be the ones to announce the album, and it's release date. They probably wouldn't want to openly say "oh yeah, it'll be out in October/November". That would take the punch out of the grand official announcement, when it comes.

Also, if the album is really done, it's probably not that 'romantic' to admit that they want to wait until a tour is done, or wait till the autumn for promotional/sales reasons (or whatever).

So they were never going to openly say "yep, it's done, it'll be out on x date".

I think the good news is they're sort of implying it's completed though, and using Edge's tinkering as the narrative about why it's not out yet.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:30 AM   #135
The Male

Local Time: 01:26 AM
Musically, I don't particularly enjoy much of anything about the track until Edge starts playing guitar. There's something very plastic and anonymous about the instrumentation (particularly the canned keyboard drumbeat), as if anyone could do what they're doing here. Miles and miles away from the evocative sound of Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree. Sure, it's live, but it still sounds flat.

But I will say that the lyrics are some of Bono's best in a while. Honest and direct, not overwitten like so much of SOI. I also hear a lot of potential in the climax of the song; you can hear the classic U2 chemistry peeking through.

Now.