SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Much as I'd like a lead single soon, and welcome a break from the rockers they've been going for, I doubt 'The Little Things' is it.

I suspect the major reason they're pushing this song so much (playing it at every show bar one, closing the set, playing it on TV etc) is to simply make the point that they're still looking forward, in spite of touring a 30 year old album. They've been craving relevance (and having been losing that battle since 2009), and touring an old album is doing them no favours in that respect.

Or at least, I could see them viewing things that way - this is a band that second guesses their new material at every turn, and calls in hip young producers to re-do their work. And they could've just announced the JT tour as a celebration of an album they're proud of, but they strongly pushed a narrative of how relevant it still is today. It looks to me like they're actively avoiding a 'heritage act' image.

I think playing 'The Little Things' is a reflection of their self awareness. It's not simply a new song, it's reaffirming that U2's well hasn't run dry. That's my theory, at least.

Also, there was that article last week where Bono called 'The Best Thing' the lead single of SoE. And to be honest, I think they'd only debut a proper lead single - and one they believe to be the strongest of the bunch - once they're ready to officially announce and promote SoE. I just couldn't see them pushing live performances of a song 3 or 4 months before we're likely to officially get it. It would take the suspense and drama right out of the eventual release.

Again, I'd have no problem with them just releasing it now, but I suspect they don't see things that way.

So, I think what we're getting right now is more a statement about the band's ability to still offer new material, rather than anything that will lead imminently to a single. I still have faith (for now) in an autumn release, but I think the first we'll get anything is September.

Why do people think The Best Thing isn't a break from the rawk model they have used since Vertigo? It is pure pop - even the version from the beach clip, which is very clearly not the Kygo remix.

I agree with Jamie. It's the perfect statement re: the band's fears of irrelevance, but also (and maybe more importantly) it's a song about losing faith in things and fearing the worst (literally 'the end') in a way their single material probably isn't. It fits the times re: the band and re: the world out there; but it doesn't quite seem like a single.

Why do people think The Best Thing isn't a break from the rawk model they have used since Vertigo? It is pure pop - even the version from the beach clip, which is very clearly not the Kygo remix.

Exactly.

I think a one-two punch would be nice; one a YouTube release one very quickly afterwards a more proper release.

I'm all for the best thing being the lead single. Seems like a big and fun song from the remix. I find it much more enjoyable and accessible than Little Things (I love sad/dark U2 as much as anyone else) Can already see car commercials, bits during football games with it in the background etc.

The Best Thing is awful tho.

I'm someone who forms some basic opinions based on beach clips, but I don't understand how anyone can claim it is awful or brilliant from a one minute, poor quality snippet. You have no idea re production, instrumentation, anything really other than melody, and some basic musical bits.

Similarly, the remix could be so far removed from the actual song in terms of instrumentation that it is just silly to suggest the quality of the song is anything other than 'kinda good' or 'kinda bad'.

It's been so long since i heard the beach clip version (whereas the Kygo performance is far better recording quality and is still up on youtube), but yeah, you could easily tell it was a break away from that raw, rock sound of the last few albums.

It sounded so refreshingly understated, and effortless. It didn't feel like loads of parts stitched together in an attempt to make the most epic single possible (like the Miracle), it was just a simple, great pop tune. I hope that feel has survived...

Am I the only one who cringes at the oh la la la Bono does in little things? Surprised no one brought that up.

I think that is something Bono does when he gets bored of his own songs. He would have rehearsed and recorded it hundreds of times recently, so he's probably just livening it up for himself.

It is weird and does not fit.

It's been so long since i heard the beach clip version (whereas the Kygo performance is far better recording quality and is still up on youtube), but yeah, you could easily tell it was a break away from that raw, rock sound of the last few albums.

It sounded so refreshingly understated, and effortless. It didn't feel like loads of parts stitched together in an attempt to make the most epic single possible (like the Miracle), it was just a simple, great pop tune. I hope that feel has survived...

Yeah - it's the effortlessness that really makes it appealing.

Little Things is a song of experience.

The Best Thing is a song of not learning from experience.

The choice is easy.

If they want their continued pursuit of a younger generation, they'll go with the pure pop song and the dance remixes... and it'll flop.

If they just want to release a good song, they'll release the Little Things. It won't be a huge smash with the kids and all, but it'll be massive on adult alternative and the likes... and those who would be inclined to like U2 will love it, and the critics will love it, and everyone will remember why the band was so beloved for so long.

The Kygo mix is just so desperate sounding. The verses sounds too much like EBTTRT. I'm a young person who likes young people music, and it sounds exactly like what it is: a bunch of old men trying to sound 'hip'

I don't remember very much the beach clip, but I remember it being slightly less embarassing.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who cringes at the oh la la la Bono does in little things? Surprised no one brought that up.
I cringe more at the first "Sometimes" part. It's forced and flat. Obviously 2 songs they've been working on stuck together . Don't get me wrong, I really like it though.
What I think is important though is that the production on the album version is spot on it could easily be destroyed.

I want to agree w everything Wide Awake in AZ said a few pages ago. That dude is WOKE.

Not sure I understand people complaining about Edge playing chimey guitar. It's his style. That's how he plays. It's like complaining that SRV never deviated from a blues based formula, or that Jack White keeps writing blues rawk riffs, or that Slash is still noodling away playing gasoline and whiskey soaked rock tunes.

Yes, Edge, as part of U2, had some extremely satisfying and deliberate detours from his base playing style. That those detours were as successful and vital as they were is the surprise to me. That he hasn't continually avoided his base playing/writing style shouldn't be so surprising.

For my part, I love this new track. The surprise to me is that the Edge (and rest of the band) can return to a similar pallate and come up with something new and familiar that moves me. TLTTGYA does this for me.

(also it's not like Edge ONLY does chime-y guitar thing; think about guitar sounds from SOI. there wenret all that much moments where he played delay-drenched arpeggios but instead there are all kinds of straight-forward punk chords, some nasty distortions, blues passages, etc. I can confidently say Edge can be more diverse and versitile than many good guitar players you guys all know of. I mean, think about it; bunch of famous players you guys know of are heavily reliant of minor pentatonic blues passages that's been used over and over. it's not just Slash, it's also done by some alt-rock guys like John Squire, Kim Thayil, etc. Im pretty sure that Edge isn't really adventurous on the music theory/technical front but still he tries to establish different sounds for different songs.

Zooropa sounds like multiple songs pieced together, which is how it's actually created. what if U2 patched 2 different sections of songs they made during past sessions?

(also it's not like Edge ONLY does chime-y guitar thing; think about guitar sounds from SOI. there wenret all that much moments where he played delay-drenched arpeggios but instead there are all kinds of straight-forward punk chords, some nasty distortions, blues passages, etc. I can confidently say Edge can be more diverse and versitile than many good guitar players you guys all know of. I mean, think about it; bunch of famous players you guys know of are heavily reliant of minor pentatonic blues passages that's been used over and over. it's not just Slash, it's also done by some alt-rock guys like John Squire, Kim Thayil, etc. Im pretty sure that Edge isn't really adventurous on the music theory/technical front but still he tries to establish different sounds for different songs.

Totally agree w everything you say here. He's got a bunch of tricks up his sleeve, like all good players. The chime is one of his tricks, and thank god for it (or we'd never have had WTSHNN, among others).

I'm happy as long as the first single isn't a rawk song. They've done that three albums in a row and it's only worked once (although I think The Miracle is underrated). The lead single has to be a surprising pick that generates a lot of free press; the selection needs to get attention. Incidentally, that should hurt Little Things' chances since they're already getting free press for that song. Still a plus that the song doesn't "sound" like a lead single and has some deep lyrics.

Last edited:
Zooropa sounds like multiple songs pieced together, which is how it's actually created. what if U2 patched 2 different sections of songs they made during past sessions?

But that was pre-Internet. So before we could have criticized the heck out of it for no particular reason. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom