SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The "tax avoiding" thing really only has legs in Ireland and some UK. Not a person stateside could give a shit, and we all look for ways to lessen our taxes. I cannot imagine that really has that much pull, when looked at from a "per person aware of U2" statistic. Most don't know, some who know don't care, and then there is a small number who care so much it makes them hate the band. Fair enough...but that just isn't that impactful. The negativity Bono draws is far more from a cynical society that hates "from the sleeve" emotions, and parses every comment for deep meaning from a guy who is known to speak words for the fun of speaking without always engaging the brain first. Add to it people who don't want politics in music (this amazes me...have you heard of U2?), and Bono gets to be the punching bag. I agree more personal lyrics can help bridge that gap, but I don't think that "love or hate" dichotomy with Bono really rests upon his structuring of personal assets and residence to avoid paying high taxes. Outside of a few people who were probably going to hate him anyway.

As for the new song. I really do like it. Yes, it is 2000's U2, but it is the 2000's and the band is U2, so I am not sure why that is a surprise. There are elements of 80's emotion, but it is still largely a 2000's U2 song, which is fine. The 1980's U2 was the 1980's U2, and they often moved off a theme, so the UF sound was short lived, as was the War sound and the JT/R&H sound, and what they do now is a more contemporary rock version that pulls from all those influences. There are still anthemic moments, keyboard soundscapes, some chime here and there, and also the standard American progressions they learned from JT. I don't think they are in the time/headspace/age to make another sound/noise art record, and Pop certainly made them realize the general public doesn't want its dance beats from U2, though we can all disagree with the general public there. This is a good song that might turn into a great song, but I still feel like its impact is going to be with fans only, because there simply is not a medium for a 50 year old band to get their song out to the masses in any way that penetrates the cultural norm. That's true of everyone...that mechanism is dead, and it is up to fans to buy their favorite bands albums, knowing 40,000 units in a week is enough to throw it up at the top of the charts these days. The million sellers for new music from old bands are long gone. So charting this as to whether it is a success by sales numbers compared against the past is a pointless venture. For me, just...is it good? SOI was good in parts. But it wasn't great. There are songs I really like, but the album wasn't a "turn on and listen through" album. I know a lot of diehards hate ATYCLB, but that was a good album...right up to the cliff (again, that cliff is either after In A Little While or Peace on Earth for me...it changes). It worked. The songs were good. They had staying power. That's all I want...a good album. I am not going to hold it up against the past. Just my ears.

Last edited:
I just can't find the "generic"-ness that people are complaining about. It's a piano ballad, something U2 really hasn't done a whole lot of. And that chorus is pure pop goodness. Maybe I'm just a generic pop lover, but it's a nice little song with that soaring end.

I'd much prefer this as a lead single than another Elevation/Vertigo/Boots/Miracle wannabe.

I just can't find the "generic"-ness that people are complaining about. It's a piano ballad, something U2 really hasn't done a whole lot of. And that chorus is pure pop goodness. Maybe I'm just a generic pop lover, but it's a nice little song with that soaring end.

Agree. Unless people are conflating "generic" with "easily listenable", which some do. It is an easy to hear song, accessible, with basic elements, but so is most rock music with a pop hook (and good pop hooks are not easy), and this is executed very well. Just the fact that it can resonate on first listen is a good sign the song has been done well. I consider generic to be that thin/overproduced sound with 24 tracks blasting small elements that are not differentiated from the other, creating this bland picket fence, rather than wall, of sound, turned down against modded/auto-tuned vocals.

The way I always refer to "generic" music to friends/wife is "hey, it's a Zach Attack song". The Zach Attack was the fake band Zach Morris had on Saved by the Bell that would occasionally play in an episode for no apparent reason, apropos of nothing, with no other episodes focusing on the fact that he had this gig-ready band. They would play at their diner, and the music was usually a keyboard/synth driven drone with some funky but not too funky rhythm and bubble gum lyrics. Fake music. Whenever I hear a song that sounds like that, I say "Hey...it's a new song from Zach Attack!" Kind of like any "band" on a Disney Channel show.

I don't get that from this. This is an emotional ballad. If generic is it is listenable on first take and doesn't require the listener to dig through noise and experimental layers to find the melody, then yeah...it isn't Zooropa. But it isn't generic. There is a lot of generic out today...that isn't generic

I'd much prefer this as a lead single than another Elevation/Vertigo/Boots/Miracle wannabe.

I prefer the first half of the song, before it gets drowned out in yet another Edge chime-fest overload.

Question from someone who didn't see it - is it possible they are just providing standard answers because they don't yet want to give away their plans?

It's late May. I think we'd be getting more info than this if SOE is coming this year.

Agree. Unless people are conflating "generic" with "easily listenable", which some do. It is an easy to hear song, accessible, with basic elements, but so is most rock music with a pop hook (and good pop hooks are not easy), and this is executed very well. Just the fact that it can resonate on first listen is a good sign the song has been done well. I consider generic to be that thin/overproduced sound with 24 tracks blasting small elements that are not differentiated from the other, creating this bland picket fence, rather than wall, of sound, turned down against modded/auto-tuned vocals.

The way I always refer to "generic" music to friends/wife is "hey, it's a Zach Attack song". The Zach Attack was the fake band Zach Morris had on Saved by the Bell that would occasionally play in an episode for no apparent reason, apropos of nothing, with no other episodes focusing on the fact that he had this gig-ready band. They would play at their diner, and the music was usually a keyboard/synth driven drone with some funky but not too funky rhythm and bubble gum lyrics. Fake music. Whenever I hear a song that sounds like that, I say "Hey...it's a new song from Zach Attack!" Kind of like any "band" on a Disney Channel show.

I don't get that from this. This is an emotional ballad. If generic is it is listenable on first take and doesn't require the listener to dig through noise and experimental layers to find the melody, then yeah...it isn't Zooropa. But it isn't generic. There is a lot of generic out today...that isn't generic

Exactly. This times times a thousand.

I am absolutely not expecting an album until early 2018. Once this Joshua Tree 30 tour was announced, I assumed we had said goodbye to a 2017 release. If these South American shows are for JT, then you can kiss SOE 2017 goodby for real.

I'll be VERY surprised if we get anything besides a single in 2017. Just embrace it people, makes it easier. Enjoy the tour if you can go,and 2018 will be here before you know it. Life is short, time goes fast... 9 months is nothing.

I actually love the first half of the song. It's the second half that loses it for me....though hearing a proper version does help. I feel Adam and Larry have a great build, almost Please like....but Edge goes for something else. Not bad, but not great. Which is what I would call his guitar playing for most of the 2000s

But that first part, I just love the melody. The hunted become the pray is a little clunky with the 2000s Bono 3 billion syllables, but if you hum instead of try to cram the words, it's lovely.

I think 2000s U2 have become much more melodic. They've gotten into Beatles territory for a good tune/pop song. I just don't know if that's ever been U2 strength. They've always had melodies, but there was always a space or atmosphere about them. 2000s U2 seems a bit more direct, the melodies hit you right away versus taking some time to soak in.

Eh

No clue on when new album will come out. They did seem a bit coy on Kimmel, to the point where you could almost project it was all done on purpose. I do believe Edge will be mixing the songs non stop, but seems like such a waste to mix for another year?

I think we'll know whenever the South American tour is announced.

I am absolutely not expecting an album until early 2018. Once this Joshua Tree 30 tour was announced, I assumed we had said goodbye to a 2017 release. If these South American shows are for JT, then you can kiss SOE 2017 goodby for real.

I'll be VERY surprised if we get anything besides a single in 2017. Just embrace it people, makes it easier. Enjoy the tour if you can go,and 2018 will be here before you know it. Life is short, time goes fast... 9 months is nothing.

The only thing I'm bummed out about is it puts Little Things in jeopardy. If they're showing it to the world and on TV, I'm worried it'll get lost in the shuffle. Otherwise, I'm pumped to have something concrete to get hyped for in 2017 (JT30) while knowing we'll most likely get something in 2018 and 2019 (new album, tours)

Capture75.PNG

For people saying Bono changing lyrics is an indication the album isn't done, he changes lyrics to songs live all the time

Sort of reminds me when people who aren't hardcore fans always say that all U2 songs "sound the same", even if it's only based on hearing a guitar or Bono singing.

I prefer the first half of the song, before it gets drowned out in yet another Edge chime-fest overload.

Before SOI: "I really hope Edge avoids the chime-y guitar riffs on the new stuff and does something original or out of the ordinary."

After SOI: "OMG, IRIS IS THE BEST SONG ON THE ALBUM!!!"

You're new to U2, we get it, but Bono's changing lyrics to 30 year old songs this tour.

Not new to U2 at all. I don't think he's changing stuff on this one for the sake of switching it up. The songs not finished, I feel.

Last edited:
Not new to u2 at all. I don't think he's changing stuff on this one for the sake of switching it up. The songs not finished.

Yeah, ummmm I knew that.

I think Bono is someone who will constantly be changing lyrics, updating, etc. He has an album that's not released yet, so he's probably taking advantage of that fact. This could be an idea that came to him last night, or it could have been an old line from the first revision that he now likes better. This is how he's always worked, we're just getting a rare glimpse because we hardly get to hear songs prior to a studio release. It doesn't MEAN anything.

When I compare 'Little Things' to other similar U2 songs from the 2000's, like Stuck in a Moment, Sometimes You Can't Make It, & Every Breaking Wave, I think it's definitely the best of the bunch.

As we all know though, it still seems likely that Best Thing will be the lead single. It would seem to be the more radio-friendly song. I do expect Little Things to be a single at some point -- a shortened radio version.

Not new to U2 at all. I don't think he's changing stuff on this one for the sake of switching it up. The songs not finished, I feel.

I'm with you on this.

Changing lyrics to songs he has been singing for years is a given and annoying when trying to sing along.

Changing lyrics to new songs, I'm not sure that happens too often (I'm sure I'll be corrected if not)

Changing lyrics to songs not yet released? That's just odd to me unless they are not finished. Also, you just wrote the thing, why would you alter the lyrics already?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm with you on this.

Changing lyrics to songs he has been singing for years is a given and annoying when trying to sing along.

Changing lyrics to new songs, I'm not sure that happens too often (I'm sure I'll be corrected if not)

Changing lyrics to songs not yet released? That's just odd to me unless they are not finished. Also, you just wrote the thing, why would you alter the lyrics already?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's just what singers(a lot) do :shrug:

He did not just write this thing, this has been kicking around for awhile now.

I guarantee you that many song's lyrics don't solidify, until Bono starts rehearsing for the tour of that album and he starts to listen back to the songs before getting ready for the tour.

since there are changes being made and the song hasn't been released it's safe to say that it's not finished - the changes will likely make their way into the song, whatever they end up being.

The Joshua Tree 30th anniversary box set includes "One Tree Hill Reprise (Brian Eno 2017 Mix)". Sounds interesting!

U2 > News > The Joshua Tree At Thirty

LP 6 – Outtakes
I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (Lillywhite Alternative Mix ’87)
One Tree Hill Reprise (Brian Eno 2017 Mix)
Silver and Gold (Sun City)
Beautiful Ghost/Introduction To Songs Of Experience
Wave Of Sorrow (Birdland)
Desert Of Our Love
Rise Up
Drunk Chicken/America

When I compare 'Little Things' to other similar U2 songs from the 2000's, like Stuck in a Moment, Sometimes You Can't Make It, & Every Breaking Wave, I think it's definitely the best of the bunch.

As we all know though, it still seems likely that Best Thing will be the lead single. It would seem to be the more radio-friendly song. I do expect Little Things to be a single at some point -- a shortened radio version.
I disagree. I think this will be, and should be, the lead single.

This is the U2 people want to hear, and I think the band knows this and it's why the song is getting such a big push before ever even being released.

This is a great time. It manages to be fresh and familiar at the same time.

I disagree. I think this will be, and should be, the lead single.

This is the U2 people want to hear, and I think the band knows this and it's why the song is getting such a big push before ever even being released.

This is a great time. It manages to be fresh and familiar at the same time.

Don't disagree with any of that. Just based on other reports I've seen, and the band's recent lead single selections, Best Thing seems like the more likely choice. Personally however, I would have no problem with Little Things as the lead single.

It would be cool if the fans could choose the first single, somehow getting to hear a couple of the potential lead off songs, and then a vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom