SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's interesting... Whenever I listen to the kygo clip, I feel like I'm just waiting for the chorus to hit rather than enjoying the time it takes to get there. And while I can kinda see where you're coming from with the opinion of the chorus as "generic uplifting motif" ala Crazy Tonight or what have you, what it all boils down to--for me, at least--is that the melody line just stays with me; the sucker has its sweet, saccharine-infused claws clenched firmly to me, and I'm legitimately hooked. And when listening to the tune via the mindset of "hits!," I genuinely believe that chorus could be a contender (now whether the song would land in my list of favorite U2 songs is a different discussion, and when compared to that other potential SoE track, I much prefer TLTTGYA).

That's interesting... Whenever I listen to the kygo clip, I feel like I'm just waiting for the chorus to hit rather than enjoying the time it takes to get there. And while I can kinda see where you're coming from with the opinion of the chorus as "generic uplifting motif" ala Crazy Tonight or what have you, what it all boils down to--for me, at least--is that the melody line just stays with me; the sucker has its sweet, saccharine-infused claws clenched firmly to me, and I'm legitimately hooked. And when listening to the tune via the mindset of "hits!," I genuinely believe that chorus could be a contender (now whether the song would land in my list of favorite U2 songs is a different discussion, and when compared to that other potential SoE track, I much prefer TLTTGYA).

Yeah, agreed on all fronts.

It is a better hook than A Sky Full of Stars, and that seemed to land. And it certainly isn't indicative of the sound of the album it's on, so people shouldn't panic either.

I'd say we will get the album version, and the n a week or two after, they may give Kygo permission to drop his version to see if they can jump start it on pop radio as well as AC.

The chorus for TBT is definitely a high point--infectious, soaring; it's very buoyant. But the verses, I dunno... it leaves a little something to be desired, IMO, and I'm not sure it quite gets the job done as an element that will grab the average radio listener's attention enough to get to the chorus. It feels somewhat rambling (plodding?), like it's just a placeholder or early draft until the band could write something that'd better compliment the chorus (which, it bears repeating, is very strong). Then again, we've also yet to hear an official release of the song, or a cut that hasn't been relayed to us via phone, so I could very well be singing a different tune when (if?) that day comes.

In summation: this post is just another random hot-take from a U2 fanatic :D

Is it not also the case that the two versions of The Best Thing that we are talking about are also about a year old now? It is entirely possible that the song has been altered somewhat since then, maybe a new verse or lyrics, but hopefully still the same the chorus and hook.

Yeah, agreed on all fronts.

It is a better hook than A Sky Full of Stars, and that seemed to land. And it certainly isn't indicative of the sound of the album it's on, so people shouldn't panic either.

I'd say we will get the album version, and the n a week or two after, they may give Kygo permission to drop his version to see if they can jump start it on pop radio as well as AC.

I love A Sky Full of Stars. It's a pretty basic song but the production makes it better than it should be like most of Coldplays songs. You are right in that TBT has a great hook and if U2 can get the production right, the song has potential to do really well commercially.

Last edited:
Is it not also the case that the two versions of The Best Thing that we are talking about are also about a year old now? It is entirely possible that the song has been altered somewhat since then, maybe a new verse or lyrics, but hopefully still the same the chorus and hook.
Yeah, I was trying to allude to that possibility, but it appears my post could've been worded more clearly...

Yeah, I was trying to allude to that possibility, but it appears my post could've been worded more clearly...

Agreed Catman, given their history and propensity for mixing and altering up to the last minute, it would be in the realms of fantasy to believe that they have left TBT completely untouched and unaltered for about a year! In my opinion of course!

I actually find the chorus hook to be generic, and think the verses are what sound refreshing for the band. Reminds me a bit of Cream by Prince.

The verses to me sound like a modern update of EBTTRT's verses. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if this is the song the Scotts alluded to as being a throwback "tribute of sorts" to an older song of theirs. It sounds most like EBTTRT in my book, and based on the era theyre seeking to invoke (their evolution in the 90s) on this record it could be a perfect fit.

The verses to me sound like a modern update of EBTTRT's verses. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if this is the song the Scotts alluded to as being a throwback "tribute of sorts" to an older song of theirs. It sounds most like EBTTRT in my book, and based on the era theyre seeking to invoke (their evolution in the 90s) on this record it could be a perfect fit.
I know it's hard to get a feel for a song from a crappy beach clip, but I honestly have no idea what the heck you're talking about. It sounds nothing like Even Better Than The Real Thing.

I know it's hard to get a feel for a song from a crappy beach clip, but I honestly have no idea what the heck you're talking about. It sounds nothing like Even Better Than The Real Thing.

To be fair, I can hear a melodic similarity between the vocals in the verses of both songs.

"Give me one more chance, and you'll be satisfied."
"When you look so good, baby you don't even know."

I think Kygo also said in an interview he thought TBT reminded him of EBTTRT.

But everything else in the song is obviously miles apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom