SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It does feel like it may the last album.

That's what I heard some people say back in 1988 after Rattle and Hum was released and in the summer of 1993 after Zooropa was released. I remember one person saying in 1993 they just" couldn't see U2 ever writing and recording new material again".

When will u2 realise that their joyful songs suck? Their best albums like AB, JT, Zoorpoa and TUF have all had a dark edge to them.

Dark is fine, but I don't need to be inspired to slice my wrists opened to think a song is "good" or not. I'm sure there's some Goth fans who think just that and all, but whatever.

As for the whole "ATYCLB = good, 90's bad" arugment... it's not like they were originally foreign to the idea of non-depressing songs in the first place (see IWF, Gloria, Pride, Two Hearts, etc.).

have u2 ever written wrist-slitting music?

with some exception, I feel like joyful u2 = sappy u2. My second least favorite U2, second only to Haiti mon amour U2.

Can you go into more detail please? What is "dangerously average U2"?

could be any other song.... from Walk On to Breathe... to SFS

I don't think Breathe is average because it does have some unique elements where they pushed a bit. But yes, Walk On, SFS, Miracle, Yahweh, Miracle Drug, All Because of You, Stuck, Crumbs... Those are all pretty average to me...

. But yes, Walk On, SFS, Miracle, Yahweh, Miracle Drug, All Because of You, Stuck, Crumbs... Those are all pretty average to me...

Those are all classic songs to me, some of U2's best. Miracle Drug is one of my top 10 favorite U2 songs. Walk On is nearly in my top 10 and I think that song won "Record of The Year" back in 2002 at the Grammy awards. Great song. U2 would often play that at the end of their shows on the last leg of the Elevation Tour. Blew away most of their music from the 90s as well with the exception of a couple of songs.

A song that was just average for me would be something like "Holy Joe ".

I love Yahweh, find myself humming along with Walk On (especially the simple little piano notes leading into the ending), think Miracle Drug is a song I need to add to my Best of U2 playlist every time I hear it and yet I always forget, enjoy Stuck in a Moment when I am mellow, and generally really like ATYCLB up to its unfortunate cliff (I can never decide if that cliff is after In A Little While or Peace on Earth...sometimes I need to hear Bono pissed off at the world, and POE satisfies). I could live without Crumbs, All Because of You, and a few others, but that is going to be with most albums.

Different? Sure. Not an essential song(s) because they came out at a different time in life when music wasn't the soundtrack of my emerging life? Sure...I find it rare that a new song moves me like the songs that guided me through adolescence into adulthood. But I think placing the "average" tag on very good songs that came at a different time but were very well received by the general public is just opinion, and likely influenced, again, by the "time and place" factor. ATYCLB, for me, did enter my world at a transformative time and shares some of the power of the songs of adolescence (Joshua Tree, etc) or the soundtrack of my college years (Achtung Baby, Zooropa). But I can see where it didn't hit the average U2 fan in that pocket.

I know few here will believe me but I have no reason to make this up.

Was w someone close to the bad over the past few days at the CA shows (someone on road team, not a "roadie"). The new album is done and basically fully mixed. This person has heard it on Bono's phone. It will be out in the fall (classic fall release cycle). They will tour most of 2018 to support it. Indoor arenas only.

Again, I've been on here way too long. Telling you what i heard directly.

That's what I heard some people say back in 1988 after Rattle and Hum was released and in the summer of 1993 after Zooropa was released. I remember one person saying in 1993 they just" couldn't see U2 ever writing and recording new material again".

yea, well, they weren't pushing 60 and built like 90s brando in 1988 and 1993.

I laughed at the "shut up nerd" line. WE ARE ALL U2 NERDS.

I have also heard the fall rumor for the album, but I don't have anything to back it up other than "it's what I heard from someone somewhere."

But I shall hold on to hope.

emfqbpmiwezzlziiqxt9_zpstkum8vx6.gif

Those are all classic songs to me, some of U2's best. Miracle Drug is one of my top 10 favorite U2 songs. Walk On is nearly in my top 10 and I think that song won "Record of The Year" back in 2002 at the Grammy awards. Great song. U2 would often play that at the end of their shows on the last leg of the Elevation Tour. Blew away most of their music from the 90s as well with the exception of a couple of songs.

What???

Holy Joe was the DRUGS!

love Holy Joe! speaking of which, I only just realised recently that the vocal melody in the verses is the same as If You Wear That Velvet Dress!

Let's hope these rumours are true - we have been burnt and surprised too many times to believe or not believe the rumours, we can only hope.

Hopefully we get some independent verification from multiple sources in the coming weeks to give us some more assurance

Well the Kimmel segment nearly got awkward as, in my opinion, Edge was put on the spot for continuing to tinker.

Bono said, I think, 'Edge will be mixing after it's out'

That was great! The new end lyrics to The Little Things felt really special and personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom