SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if the December date (if true) is just the release of the physical album with a digital release coming out sometime prior...:hmm: :pray:

Here is the album version. There were two clips, and I stitched them together, so they overlap properly for most of the middle

https://clyp.it/dhiz2d22

Thanks Dan. Still in the same realm as the Kygo mix.

Yet again, this is before Lillywhite had them re-record all of the songs live in the studio. (or something like that) Wonder what it sounds like now... I like the version in the clip above quite a bit.

Here is the album version. There were two clips, and I stitched them together, so they overlap properly for most of the middle

https://clyp.it/dhiz2d22

Are we sure this isn't the Kygo mix? Sounds quite similar.

The song has a killer hook, maybe the catchiest since Vertigo? As it is in the Kygo mix though, I don't know how it works as a whole. I don't even mind EDM, but the way it plays (in that concert video at least) the flow is wonky - it seems to just keep starting and never really goes off. Hope there is different mix for the album.

Are we sure this isn't the Kygo mix? Sounds quite similar.

The song has a killer hook, maybe the catchiest since Vertigo? As it is in the Kygo mix though, I don't know how it works as a whole. I don't even mind EDM, but the way it plays (in that concert video at least) the flow is wonky - it seems to just keep starting and never really goes off. Hope there is different mix for the album.

What?! You can't tell this is minus the additional beats and mixing?

The thing is, since vertigo, they just haven't created a hit of that caliber, as strong as Beautiful Day or whatever else before it.

Now, I recognise this is entirely subjective, and others might disagree, but I just think that - although they've made some really beautiful music with NLOTH and SoI - they've failed to successfully yield a single with that 'spark', a proper hook that makes the song soar... that indescribable 'it' that just makes a song catchy, feel-good, and makes people want to turn up the radio, or sing along at a gig.
I actually think they have produced a song with that "it" factor (or is at least a strong relative of that term)--The Crystal Ballroom! I genuinely believe that tune is the closest thing since "Vertigo" (and, IMO, it kinda surpasses it) U2 have made that could possibly compete on radio... which is why I'm utterly baffled that the band, for all of there comments about seeking relevance and airplay, would choose to relegate such a strong melody to the status of "b-side" while The Miracle (which, admittedly, I've warmed up to over the years) is pegged as first single. It's just such a bizarre move, to not at least let the song be a one-off.

Then again, at one point I also thought Original of the Species was going to light up the charts hahhaha

Good find!

I checked out the company, they have a show reel that includes some clips from a U2 shoot they did. I can't place it but i suspect it's from the SoI promo era:

NOVEMBER SEVEN FILMS - Home

Anyone able to place that video?

on the music videos section, it shows they did the acoustic Miracle for Rolling Stone as part of SoI promo.

Last edited:
Thanks Dan. Still in the same realm as the Kygo mix.

Yet again, this is before Lillywhite had them re-record all of the songs live in the studio. (or something like that) Wonder what it sounds like now... I like the version in the clip above quite a bit.
Lillywhite worked on Best Thing late last summer. I think his success with it led the band to give him the reigns over the remaining tracks. So, this could still be the finished product?

Lillywhite worked on Best Thing late last summer. I think his success with it led the band to give him the reigns over the remaining tracks. So, this could still be the finished product?

Yeah, that is my assumption too. Hopefully, because I think this is a great little tune that could do quite well.

I think they need to redefine what success is for them. A win at this point is them being respected/not hated. If they had achieved that with SOI, the groundwork would have been there for SOE - now they have to lay that groundwork, and then go for gold from there.

Yeah, that is my assumption too. Hopefully, because I think this is a great little tune that could do quite well.

I think they need to redefine what success is for them. A win at this point is them being respected/not hated. If they had achieved that with SOI, the groundwork would have been there for SOE - now they have to lay that groundwork, and then go for gold from there.

The Springsteen/Neil Young route of making music to express something rather than trying for hits? Adam is on board.

This song is pretty much guaranteed to be released for real sometime in the near future, right? When have they ever performed a song on TV that wasn't released at most a few months later (not years)? Kinda crazy to think they'd play a new song on late night TV that the general public can't acquire in anyway?

Little Things would be way better if they took the Womanfish route and played it drunk.

I actually think they have produced a song with that "it" factor (or is at least a strong relative of that term)--The Crystal Ballroom! I genuinely believe that tune is the closest thing since "Vertigo" (and, IMO, it kinda surpasses it) U2 have made that could possibly compete on radio... which is why I'm utterly baffled that the band, for all of there comments about seeking relevance and airplay, would choose to relegate such a strong melody to the status of "b-side" while The Miracle (which, admittedly, I've warmed up to over the years) is pegged as first single. It's just such a bizarre move, to not at least let the song be a one-off.

Then again, at one point I also thought Original of the Species was going to light up the charts hahhaha

I agree. TCB was their biggest missed opportunity. Now because of the Apple debacle it would have been overlooked anyway, but THAT was the song that could have gotten them some moderate airplay again. It was criminal to leave it off the proper album.

I like The Miracle enough, but the one thing I felt was missing from it was a massive hook somewheres. The chorus is alright, but it never really takes off in a way that other successful songs for the band have in the past.

Not sure if TCB had a bigger hook in it, but I could see it being as close to one as they've had on the album. Guess the Roxy Music-feel made it a bit of an album outlier though, hence the b-side status.

From the U2 website....

NEW #U2TheJoshuaTree2017 DATES

Sun Sep 3 - Detroit, MI Ford Field
Tue Sep 5 - Buffalo, NY New Era Field
Fri Sep 8 - Minneapolis, MN US Bank Stadium
Sun Sep 10 - Indianapolis, IN Lucas Oil Stadium
Tue Sep 12 - Kansas City, MO Arrowhead Stadium
Sat Sep 16 - St. Louis, MO The Dome At America’s Center
Fri Sep 22 - San Diego, CA Qualcomm Stadium

Tue Oct 3 - Mexico City, Mexico Foro Sol
Sat Oct 7 - Bogota, Colombia, Estadio El Campin
Tue Oct 10 - Buenos Aires, Argentina La Plata
Sat Oct 14 - Santiago, Chile Estadio Nacional
Thur Oct 19 - Sao Paulo, Brazil Morumbi Stadium

Last edited:
From the U2 website....

NEW #U2TheJoshuaTree2017 DATES

Sun Sep 3 - Detroit, MI Ford Field
Tue Sep 5 - Buffalo, NY New Era Field
Fri Sep 8 - Minneapolis, MN US Bank Stadium
Sun Sep 10 - Indianapolis, IN Lucas Oil Stadium
Tue Sep 12 - Kansas City, MO Arrowhead Stadium
Sat Sep 16 - St. Louis, MO The Dome At America’s Center
Fri Sep 22 - San Diego, CA Qualcomm Stadium

Tue Oct 3 - Mexico City, Mexico Foro Sol
Sat Oct 7 - Bogota, Colombia, Estadio El Campin
Tue Oct 10 - Buenos Aires, Argentina La Plata
Sat Oct 14 - Santiago, Chile Estadio Nacional
Thur Oct 19 - Sao Paulo, Brazil Morumbi Stadium

Interesting. I wonder how they'd balance this with the rumoured December album and potential single in July/august?

I guess it does add up quite nicely to have a late July lead single, promote it/do some magazine previews & interviews etc in that big August gap, and then do what many have suggested already: use September/October to tie SoE into TJT in terms of promotion and thematic connection, maybe release single 2 during the SA dates in Oct before album release in December.

Interesting. I wonder how they'd balance this with the rumoured December album and potential single in July/august?

I guess it does add up quite nicely to have a late July lead single, promote it/do some magazine previews & interviews etc in that big August gap, and then do what many have suggested already: use September/October to tie SoE into TJT in terms of promotion and thematic connection, maybe release single 2 during the SA dates in Oct before album release in December.

Or they can just do their vacations in August. Tons of Instagram posts!

I agree. TCB was their biggest missed opportunity. Now because of the Apple debacle it would have been overlooked anyway, but THAT was the song that could have gotten them some moderate airplay again. It was criminal to leave it off the proper album.

I disagree...TCB is totally pedestrian. It's no better, and no worse than anything else on SOI....wouldn't have sniffed the charts had it been released as a single...:|

I think the 'status' it has garnered is due to the fact it WAS left off the album. It's a nice song, I still play it, but I can't see how it would've been any better than any other single off that album...:shrug:

I think Fall of 2018 is probably best case.

I suppose they could drop the album in 4th Q, and hit Europe and Australia in Spring (arenas), then come back to USA in the fall of 2018.....assume only hitting major markets as demand won't be that strong after TJT tour.

Can definitely say no quick follow up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom