SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does releasing new music around certain weeks around holidays have that much of an impact either way anymore? I don't think I've been gifted a CD since like 2002. Capitalizing on iTunes gift cards burning holes in people's wallets?

Last edited:
More likely that a date could be set now if they do have plans to take this tour to SA after Europe.

There was a small flurry of movement a week or so ago when the rhetoric changed, and some positive signs started pointing towards then having made a decision. Whether it was finished or not. It's possible they gave Edge a 'shit or get off the pot' ultimatum, and that was the end of the JT tour.

Again, all grain of salt stuff, but for those new to this, u2songs aren't in the business of posting these kind of things without something to back it up.

Does releasing new music around certain weeks around holidays have that much of an impact either way anymore? I don't think I've been gifted a CD since like 2002. Capitalizing on iTunes gift cards burning holes in people's wallets?
I'm pretty sure it does impact sales to some degree, but like you implied, things are pretty different now compared to when U2 sold gangbusters of HTDAAB on opening week (of course, having a hit single also helps drastically, but I do believe the timing of release amplified sales).

I dunno, my skepticism of this release date has less to do with the fact that it comes shortly after Black Friday, and more to do with it just being another album release rumor [emoji14]

Before Little Things in Chicago Bono said it was "the last song on the album" - hopefully an indication that tracklist decisions have been made!

I don't know how I feel about the last words on SOE being "the end is here." :'(

I don't know how I feel about the last words on SOE being "the end is here." :'(

U2 do funny things, and they will know t will be taken that way, even if it only means something for the song in context.

That said, we all need to be prepared, because it isn't exactly a stretch to think it could be their last.

Before Little Things in Chicago Bono said it was "the last song on the album" - hopefully an indication that tracklist decisions have been made!

Really?

That sounds pretty specific.

One thing that came to mind when listening to a rip of the Kimmel performance is that U2 has this habit of performing songs that build to a hard, firing-on-all-cylinders climax, and instead of finishing with on a big powerful moment, everything stops and they end on this really sparse coda that sucks the air out of the room and forces the audience to stop applauding wildly.

Other examples would include Beautiful Day and Please, and probably some others I'm forgetting.

Am I crazy?

Little Things is plain great.

I haven't been following the album's development closely recently so I appreciate when these threads start with catch up posts. One question about song titles, whatever happened to Morning After Innocence (or something like that), the first title they teased post-SOI way back in '14 or so?

U2 do funny things, and they will know t will be taken that way, even if it only means something for the song in context.

That said, we all need to be prepared, because it isn't exactly a stretch to think it could be their last.

Yep, you're right. It wouldn't be a surprise, yet who really knows. I'd wager that THEY don't even know, at least not at this point.

Also Lazarus totally agree with your assessment of that last lame coda.

What I'm hearing here is it's about creative doubt.

He says the end is here...sometimes.

Sounds like Bono being honest that at times when he can't come up with lyrics or the band a tune they feel like jacking it in. But then later they don't.

I do it all the time in my daily life :)

Well, that's what I'm hearing from this line anyway.

Little Things is plain great.

I haven't been following the album's development closely recently so I appreciate when these threads start with catch up posts. One question about song titles, whatever happened to Morning After Innocence (or something like that), the first title they teased post-SOI way back in '14 or so?
That became Little Things, apparently

Reg Dude, have u been hearing the same rumblings about the new US dates as early as the next few days?
Not specifically... thought atu2 seems pretty confident about it

Let's see what July/Aug brings us.. Perhaps a summer single?

Not specifically... thought atu2 seems pretty confident about it

Let's see what July/Aug brings us.. Perhaps a summer single?

If we're talking a December release, I see at least one single between now and then, more likely two. Judging by history with other releases, I'd expect singles in late August and early November, likely amid heavy promotion.

The Best Thing would be an ideal summer hit!

+ if the Kygo remix is still relevant, it would be great to have that version released as well to attract youngsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom