SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an idea:

since they have 15 songs they could release an 8 song album this year, write one more and release an 8 song album next year. Do a Kid A/Amnesiac.

no.

all signs are pointing to the album being more or less done, and it's simply the band deciding on what track listing to release.

being U2, something that should come out in 2 months could take 5 years for them to actually release, so anything is possible.

but no, in no way does this article point towards the album coming out in 2018. the opposite, actually.

I agree entirely with Headache here, after reading the entire article. The only reason that 2018 even came up was because the interviewer put it in the question. He could equally have asked simply, "when is SOE coming out?" and Bono's answer would have been exactly the same, i.e. hopefully before the end of this year. So it is only the fact that the interviewer mentioned it that 2018 is even in the equation at all. All known info still points to it being done, with the exception of a bit of possible mixing and mastering, which could easily be finished in a matter of weeks.

The fact that they still haven't announced formally any SA/Australasia tour dates and what they are yet is encouraging to me. If, as we suspect they will be fall 2017 and/or early 2018, surely they have stadia provisionally booked. If it was nailed on that they were just JT30 shows they most likely would have released them by now. If they are holding off as long as possible to see if they could be some sort of hybrid SOE/JT30 show, until they know SOE is finally in the can, I'm more optimistic. They haven't been down south for quite a while, surely a combo of a re-booted E+I tour along with a JT30 middle segment would sell a boat load of tickets?

It certainly sounds like there is a bit of friction between Bono and Edge too, which might be good if they compromise...a certain amount of extra technicianship for a band with a technician for a guitarist is good, but the instinct to know when to stop is also good. If it gets over-tinkered, it winds up awful, and if it gets half-assed, we wind up with the dreaded "unfinished product" and an album like Pop that we know is good, but could have been fantastic if not rushed to market.

There is a sweet spot in there most bands understand (or don't have a choice about because the execs are giving producers power). U2 have been at a level for about 29 years where they aren't subjected to the same oversight...

"Then the plan is to do the Songs of Experience tour with the same staging?

Yeah, the Experience and Innocence tour. It'll invert a lot of things, but it's got the same basics. We've got some incredible staging ideas, but it's basically the same language as the last tour."

Interesting, given that the rumour is stadiums..

Is there a date for when SA/AUS tour dates will be announced? Cause that'll tell us whether SOE is done or not.

Is there a date for when SA/AUS tour dates will be announced? Cause that'll tell us whether SOE is done or not.

I've only been asking myself that question for 6.5 years.

There were rumors of it happening last Sunday, so who knows? There was a list floating around out there that had the South American tour starting October 6th. If so, there's still plenty of time to announce them. The NA leg was announced the 2nd week of January and began 4 months later. So if the dates are announced next week, that's also about 4 months between announcement and first show.

I guess I'm at the point of my life where I have so much going on that I probably won't even notice or be affected if the album doesn't come out this year. 2018 is fine with me.

With that said, I think the album is coming out this year.

I guess I'm at the point of my life where I have so much going on that I probably won't even notice or be affected if the album doesn't come out this year. 2018 is fine with me.

With that said, I think the album is coming out this year.

Yeah I'm the same way. Years ago, the possibility of waiting 9 more months would have KILLED ME! But now I realize that time goes so fast anyway, and 9 months is nothing. I sure as hell hope it's this fall, but if not then it won't affect my life that much.

I'm a pretty happy fan, really. Got a great (IMO anyway) album 2.5 years ago, saw them live less than 2 years ago, will be seeing them again in a months time. And there's a new album on the horizon, and in all likelihood I'll be able to see them again in 2018 or 2019. Can't complain about that. When I was a 15 year old boy at my first U2 concert 20 years ago, I never dreamed they'd still be so active at this point. I remember thinking "no way they keep going much past 2000".

I really feel bad for the Australian/South American/Japan/anywhere else who don't get shows, and after all this band has given me, I'd gladly wait until next year for the new album if it meant those fans could get some shows. Here's hoping BOTH scenarios happen soon!!

Well I'm in the camp that anything can happen. Remember when SOI was being talked about, and then delayed... then all of a sudden they did those acoustic sessions and decided that the songs were good to go?

About a week after that (according to the reports), we had SOI.

"Then the plan is to do the Songs of Experience tour with the same staging?

Yeah, the Experience and Innocence tour. It'll invert a lot of things, but it's got the same basics. We've got some incredible staging ideas, but it's basically the same language as the last tour."

Interesting, given that the rumour is stadiums..

very... i'm surprised not many more caught on to this one.

if it is stadiums... do they have a screen that goes across, say, the 50 yard line and do a 360 degree thing again? that they can walk in and stuff, with the ramps and stages stretching out towards each end zone?

very... i'm surprised not many more caught on to this one.

if it is stadiums... do they have a screen that goes across, say, the 50 yard line and do a 360 degree thing again? that they can walk in and stuff, with the ramps and stages stretching out towards each end zone?

I can't see them doing a 2nd consecutive stadium tour in the US, on the back of a new album, after they're hitting most of the regular spots this time around unless they're just looking to minimize dates.

As for the tech, they could do a long center stage deal with a cable high up from end to end suspending fabric to be projected upon from gear in the sidelines. No climbing inside but imagine an 80-yard screen that didn't require you to set foot inside JerryWorld. The distance runs would be good for Bono.

I haven't.been following that closely (my attitude after years of pre-album cycles is -it's out when it's out) but there is a clip on YouTube of Edge playing and singing to some song and I thought it sounded pretty great. Anyone know what the hell it was?

Title is "Songs of Experience...The Edge" uploaded to YT in March 2016

I can't see them doing a 2nd consecutive stadium tour in the US, on the back of a new album, after they're hitting most of the regular spots this time around unless they're just looking to minimize dates.

As for the tech, they could do a long center stage deal with a cable high up from end to end suspending fabric to be projected upon from gear in the sidelines. No climbing inside but imagine an 80-yard screen that didn't require you to set foot inside JerryWorld. The distance runs would be good for Bono.
Well, if they start in South America, Australia and Old Zealand, then follow up with Europe and eventually make it back to NA last? It could work.

Or it could be like vertigo where the rest of the world gets stadiums and the US gets arenas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom