SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he means as an answer by 'why did you put that on the album'? He also used that term when describing a big screen TV in a working class house.

This is a fuck off post.

It's his Dublin expression that you probably don't understand the meaning of. Ask a Dubliner

That was a really good interview, right up until the inevitable questions and responses about the album which doesn't make it sound like we're going to see it anytime soon!

What difference does the number of songs make in this day and age with the way most people get their music?

What difference does the number of songs make in this day and age with the way most people get their music?

I suspect it has to do with making the album into something resembling a statement or having it be a cohesive listen if one chooses to listen by that route. This is a band that's been around for years and isn't a newer act that might easily get talked into an EP or whatever else might be used to get some attention. They grew up with the album structure and maybe they think something pushing a lot of tracks is a bit of overkill?

In terms of the "day and age" argument, that's probably why we're seeing all sorts of bonus or extra tracks on certain releases nowadays... it gives the artist a chance to make people buy the album itself so they get more songs.

If its just a matter of mixing the album(Songs Of Experience) and whether 12 or 15 songs are on it and in what order then I think the album will be released before the end of 2017.

Wouldn't SOE have to be a 2017 release if they already have venues booked for the tour??

We still don't know if the tour is for TJT or I/E. Bono didn't give too many specifics other than there will be a continuation of the tour.

Just unknown as to when. He hopes to have it out for 2018, but since it's not up to him.....

That is what leads me to believe there's a very good shot of TJT Tour extending.

If its just a matter of mixing the album(Songs Of Experience) and whether 12 or 15 songs are on it and in what order then I think the album will be released before the end of 2017.

Bono said in the Charlie Rose interview, September/October 2016 that they had 16 songs and wanted to get it down to 12.

So they've used seven months to drop one song.....

SOE...:cute:

It's coming soon...:yes:...all signs point to this...:hyper:...U2 are great marketers...(as well as procrastinators and perfectionists)...:up:

Be patient my young padawans...be patient...:hug:

Perhaps you refer to the imminent release of SOE?

Oh no, my young Jedi. You will find that it is you who are mistaken about a great many things.

Your friends, in this Interference forum, are walking into a trap of Bono's lies. It was he who announced a new album would be coming last year and then again this year! The album is quite far from completion by your pitiful little band.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I liked this part in particular:

In "New Year's Day" you sang the "Gold is the reason for the wars we wage" line for the first time. There weren't a lot of snippets of cover songs. You seem to be sticking to the album versions of the songs.
I put "oil" in, actually. I said, "So we're told this is the golden age/But oil is the reason for the wars we wage." By the way, part of the fun of doing these shows is I'm changing the lyrics when I want to and I'm sticking to, as you point out, the arrangements on the albums. But I was in a band early on in the 1980s where the lyrics where not really the priority, strangely. It was, "What's the song about? What's the tune? What's the beat?" And you had people like Brian Eno who was, like, sort of anti the concept of the old-school lyric. He was saying, "Just look at these beautiful sonic paintings you're doing with your voice. Why do you need words? Just sing like that."

On Unforgettable Fire we left "Elvis Presley and America" like that, but some of the other songs were not finished, so "Bad" or whatever is not finished. Even "Where the Streets Have No Name" isn't finished, but why would you touch it? As a lyric it's a sketch. And so I'm really enjoying changing the odd lyric. "I first saw her face high on a desert plane." That's a beautiful change. In "New Year's Day" I sing, "It's true, it's true, the people break through." Little tiny little things that keep me close to the songs.

Nothing wrong with letting the material evolve.

Also, good to hear him say they're trying to whittle SOE down to 12 songs instead of the usual 11. At least until Larry decides to cut the best one again FOR NO FUCKING REASON.

What a strange turn of events, that it wasn't Larry who was against this tour but Bono, and that he's the one thinking forward.

Wouldn't SOE have to be a 2017 release if they already have venues booked for the tour??

If you recall, they had Innocence & Experience shows booked for 2017. There was even the Columbus Ohio show that Ticketmaster accidentally leaked late last year, that was supposed to occur on October 20th, 2017. Kings of Leon now have that date for that venue. That tour was clearly called off, and this JT Tour happened instead. Pisses me off, because Columbus is essentially in my back yard. Hopefully it still happens! Deadlines mean nothing to this band. As long as tickets haven't been out on sale, they can cancel and reschedule anything for years on end.

Also, the I&E tour was originally scheduled to begin in the fall of 2014, with SOI coming out in the spring (and yes, the Invisible Super Bowl / Fallon/ Oscars etc was supposed to be part of that promo tour).

I believe they fully planned to have it out last fall, and Dreamforce and IHeartRadio were supposed to be part of a larger promo tour for the album. I do believe they would have it out this coming fall were it not for this Joshua Tree Tour. Now, we're looking at early 2018 as our best case scenario.

Last edited:
Why is 2018 a best-case scenario? We haven't heard anything concrete about a JT tour extension, and as it stands they will be available after August 1 to work on SOE if necessary. I'm guessing they've already made headway on album photography/art so it's really about finalizing that, making a video, and choosing which songs to cut.

He literally says in the interview that they need to prune some of the songs, and that the track listing isn't set yet. That sounds like final-stage language to me and that there isn't much, if any, recording left to do.

Steve Lillywhite was brought back to finish it off?
So we didn't want to go in and make that mistake again, so we went in and played the songs again. Steve is the best guy for recording us in the studio with the band playing live, so that's what happened.

Notice he's speaking in the past-tense?

Of course, this is subject to veto by anyone in the band, particularly Edge. Which is why Bono says he's hoping for this year.

Also, did anyone notice that The Little Things clip from Kimmel is embedded in the RS interview? Didn't know it was back on YouTube.

Sorry if that's old news.

Why is 2018 a best-case scenario? We haven't heard anything concrete about a JT tour extension, and as it stands they will be available after August 1 to work on SOE if necessary. I'm guessing they've already made headway on album photography/art so it's really about finalizing that, making a video, and choosing which songs to cut.

He literally says in the interview that they need to prune some of the songs, and that the track listing isn't set yet. That sounds like final-stage language to me and that there isn't much, if any, recording left to do.

Steve Lillywhite was brought back to finish it off?
So we didn't want to go in and make that mistake again, so we went in and played the songs again. Steve is the best guy for recording us in the studio with the band playing live, so that's what happened.

Notice he's speaking in the past-tense?

Of course, this is subject to veto by anyone in the band, particularly Edge. Which is why Bono says he's hoping for this year.

The tone seems to be that Bono thinks it's done, and that we're it up to him it'd be out this year, if not last year. But clearly what Bono wants doesn't mean it will happen.

All signs are pointing to the album NOT coming out in 2017. They have said there's more to do. I doubt they work on it much, if at all, during the course of this 3 month tour. After the tour ends on August 1, they'll probably take a couple months off for vacation, work on it some more in the fall, and then roll it out next spring. The only way the album is coming out in 2017 is if it's already done, which I don't think it is. All we need is that final nail in the coffin, when they announce the South American leg as being part of the JT Tour.

I'd bet the farm on a 2018 release. (I actually do own a farm, so I can say that!)

You're thinking early 2018 if you had to guess?

I'd like it before then, but don't listen to me.

Yes, listen to the guy with the hat bent on mixing. Time to let go, Edge.

The tone seems to be that Bono thinks it's done, and that we're it up to him it'd be out this year, if not last year. But clearly what Bono wants doesn't mean it will happen.

All signs are pointing to the album NOT coming out in 2017. They have said there's more to do. I doubt they work on it much, if at all, during the course of this 3 month tour. After the tour ends on August 1, they'll probably take a couple months off for vacation, work on it some more in the fall, and then roll it out next spring. The only way the album is coming out in 2017 is if it's already done, which I don't think it is. All we need is that final nail in the coffin, when they announce the South American leg as being part of the JT Tour.

I'd bet the farm on a 2018 release. (I actually do own a farm, so I can say that!)

no.

all signs are pointing to the album being more or less done, and it's simply the band deciding on what track listing to release.

being U2, something that should come out in 2 months could take 5 years for them to actually release, so anything is possible.

but no, in no way does this article point towards the album coming out in 2018. the opposite, actually.

Okay, but Edge said on Jimmy Kimmel "there's more work to do".

I'd love to be wrong, but I firmly believe we won't see the album in 2017. I just don't see it as a realistic possibility at all.

I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. I really don't think it's that big of a deal if it doesn't come out until 2018. 9-10 months is nothing, and will fly by. Last year at this time, we had just as much reason to believe the album would be released in the fall of 2016. IHeartRadio seemed to somewhat confirm it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom