SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming... - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2017, 09:32 AM   #151
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:29 AM
Hopefully the band is following social media and can see the immediate love for the song. In fact, I can't think of a new U2 song/single in the last 10 years or so that seems to have the universal positive reaction that this one does. Sure, there's a sprinkle of folks that don't care for it, but overall it's been an extremely positive reaction.

I also wouldn't jump to conclusions on their comments last night. The band is playing a song from their new album on tour, and as the closing song. That's very telling that a release will happen sooner than later. But remember, right now they're touring for The Joshua Tree. It's not very smart marketing to cross reference a release date for SOE. They're building buzz around a new song, and once the Joshua Tree Tour winds down, then they can transition into full new album marketing. The way they answered the questions last night will only add more buzz by more questions being asked.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #152
War Child

Local Time: 03:29 AM
So you might be suggesting U2 is known for smart marketing?

Could probably have a whole thread on that topic alone... I don't think they are very good at it personally and it goes beyond the SOI misfire with iTunes.

The new song was great last night... I wonder if they'll come up with a radio friendly edit that is shorter.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #153
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post

They've had random week-long gaps in tour schedules in the past that have proven to be nothing, so I'm not anticipating this gap will be filled with anything of importance.
they have - but it's odd on such a short tour.

alas, i agree it's probably nothing - but i'm holding out some hope.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #154
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWU2Buffs View Post
You never know, but in my view we have a different Larry:

On that rooftop for Invisible, he looked pretty disengaged, at least to me.. .could have been cold night air, could have been the whole process, maybe just a bad day, whatever but he did not seem into it.

Last night he seemed considerable more engaged and enthused, more comfortable visiting with Kimmel and playing the songs, etc.

So, based on Larry's demeanor, SOE in early November.

Or not.
I was on the rooftop for Fallon.

It was fucking freezing up there. the high during the day was below freezing, and this was after the sun went down - with a lot of wind, 90 stories in the sky.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
I think it is:

Sometimes, I wake up looking at shadows
And your the only (thing) that matters.
But I can't see you through these tears.

Not sure about the cadence in the middle line, and "looking" sounds wrong, but I can't make out anything more accurate.
that's much better for the climax than repeating "waiting for any song to reappear"
Old 05-24-2017, 10:01 AM   #156
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

agreed with headache and others. they need to release this sooner rather than later.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:17 AM   #157
Refugee

it would be cool if, as a supplement to the album, they made alternate versions available as a download. Like, the version they were planning on releasing last fall and member's favorite tracks that didn't make the album, or Bono's preferred version. It'll never happen, obviously, and isn't even a good idea for the band but it would be interesting to hear.

Little Things is still being worked on and had they released it last week we'd be saying "ah, this new version is better, they should have waited!" I have faith in them right now that the tweaking is for the best.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:18 AM   #158
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by popacrobat View Post
that's much better for the climax than repeating "waiting for any song to reappear"

Agreed.

I think we need to wait for another version to find out what he says, because it's like he got some of it wrong. It just doesn't sound right with what he actually said. This fits a bit better:

Sometimes, I wake up jumping/staring/screaming at shadows
When only yours really matters
But I can't see you through the tears.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #159
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
they have - but it's odd on such a short tour.
Actually, it's really not that out of the ordinary for a U2 stadium jaunt around North America. Of course, you can say that those past tours ended up having two North American legs, but nobody knew this when tickets went on sale (even if fans assumed it). The first North American leg of 360, for example, was actually one show shorter.

The European leg sticks out quite a bit more as abnormally short.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #160
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
it would be cool if, as a supplement to the album, they made alternate versions available as a download. Like, the version they were planning on releasing last fall and member's favorite tracks that didn't make the album, or Bono's preferred version. It'll never happen, obviously, and isn't even a good idea for the band but it would be interesting to hear.

Little Things is still being worked on and had they released it last week we'd be saying "ah, this new version is better, they should have waited!" I have faith in them right now that the tweaking is for the best.

I mean, it's hard to argue when two days since the last version Bono has fixed one line and completely changed a stanza for the better.

I just wish they hurried up!
Old 05-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #161
ONE
love, blood, life

Two more random thoughts before I go to sleep:
1 - Bonos delivery after edge's solo is as emotional as anything we've heard from him since Kite after Bob's death.
2 - singing about things that make him vulnerable and that humanise him is the real way to win back some public favour.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #162
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Agreed.

I think we need to wait for another version to find out what he says, because it's like he got some of it wrong. It just doesn't sound right with what he actually said. This fits a bit better:

Sometimes, I wake up jumping/staring/screaming at shadows
When only yours really matters
But I can't see you through the tears.
I hear myself
"Sometimes,
I wake up in the shadows
And you're the only thing matters
But I can't see you through the tears"

He stumbles a few times, probably because they're different from what he's been singing. But an improvement nonetheless.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:35 AM   #163
War Child

Local Time: 10:29 AM
If they change lyrics "on the fly" .. from one live performance to the next ... I don't know if they are ready to release Little Things in some form soon. But they should ....
Old 05-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #164
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:29 AM
Quote:
Two more random thoughts before I go to sleep:
1 - Bonos delivery after edge's solo is as emotional as anything we've heard from him since Kite after Bob's death.
2 - singing about things that make him vulnerable and that humanise him is the real way to win back some public favour.

Unfortunately nothing will change the public opinion that Bono is a tax avoiding twat.

I think he's fine with it because he knows the good he is doing. It has been many years since I've met a person who has said they LIKE U2 when favorite bands come up. Closest praise I'll hear "I liked the Joshua Tree "

It is what it is. It's why I don't care how great of a song they write, it won't get played due to how polarizing he is, and the fact they're too old to break into popular radio.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #165
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

taken off of Kimmel's channel. odd.