SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It just means it is a tribute to anniversary remaster. Ppl in New Zealand are a little behind so this makes perfect sense.

It just means it is a tribute to anniversary remaster. Ppl in New Zealand are a little behind so this makes perfect sense.
It would be great if they played OTH in NZ. They have never done that before and no has ever documented these things on a website.

A JT30 tour down under is great news for people who live there, but bad news for a new album. Unless they drop the album in the fall, tour stadiums in Australia/NZ and South America, and then do an SOE arena tour in USA and Europe in summer 2018. You could think of the current JT30 shows as the stadium leg of a larger tour.

Even though they are playing new materials on JT30, I have hard time seeing them drop a new album and then continue to tour The Joshua Tree.

In all seriousness would you expect the album this year?

I'm hopeful, but news of extending the TJT Tour is putting a damper on my enthusiasm. I kind of thought this might happen (the tour extension). I mean you're celebrating your best selling, most accessible album, and the performances are amazing. I was at the Santa Clara show and it's way AWESOME start to finish (even if the crowd petered out at the end). Bono is in fine form, but the rest of the band seems rejuvenated playing these songs.

SOE...I want it...but hell, this tour is KA (kick ass)...:yes:

I'm hopeful, but news of extending the TJT Tour is putting a damper on my enthusiasm. I kind of thought this might happen (the tour extension). I mean you're celebrating your best selling, most accessible album, and the performances are amazing. I was at the Santa Clara show and it's way AWESOME start to finish (even if the crowd petered out at the end). Bono is in fine form, but the rest of the band seems rejuvenated playing these songs.

SOE...I want it...but hell, this tour is KA (kick ass)...:yes:

So they extend the tour then what happens to SOE? In your opinion of course, I always assumed you had some form of inside info lol

Honest to goodness, I don't think they are in any kind of hurry to finish this album. New albums don't make them any money, touring does. And right now, they're in the middle of a very successful, sold out stadium tour (and Pittsburgh). Might as well hit South America, Australia, etc and make a bunch of money. If this JT tour goes into early 2018, I wouldn't expect SOE until later 2018. Then tour SOE in 2019.

I know this isn't what we want, but they're gonna follow the money. And the money is telling them to milk this JT thing for all it's worth.

I'm all for a JT/SOE hybrid tour for these southern hemisphere shows. I just want the new album, but more than that, I believe fans in these areas deserve to get their shows. They have toured North America 3 times since they've toured South America and Australia, and it's been 11 years since Japan. As an American, I am very grateful to have had so many opportunities to see them, but a trip down under is past due.

Honestly, a JT/SOE hybrid tour could look like this;

1. SBS
2. NYD
3. New Song
4. Pride

5-15- Joshua Tree

16. New Song
17. Bad
18. New Song
19. Beautiful Day
20. Elevation
21. Ultraviolet
22. One
23. Little Things (new song)
24. IWF (should end each show with a fan favorite, not an unknown new song on an album that may never come out)

There's really no reason they need to play more than 4 songs off a new album at this point in their career.

So they extend the tour then what happens to SOE? In your opinion of course, I always assumed you had some form of inside info lol

No, no...I have no source...my source is my 34 years of being a U2 fanatic. I have had some inside sources on tour stops...but recording, I'm just making a (somewhat) educated guess.

The album is done...to an extent, but I think the current climate (US politics) is causing certain factions in the group to rethink this release. Again completely conjecture from me...but their reluctance to say "the album is expected this Fall" on Kimmel reflects the current thinking that anything is open at this point (in regards to themes and song writing for this album release).

I also think that the response (from fans and critics alike) has altered their thinking on this nostalgic tour. It's carrying some weight and relevance, and what seemed like an excuse to tour the Anniversary of TJT is really turning into a political/social statement.

Maybe U2 is the band to bring Rock back...:hmm:

No, no...I have no source...my source is my 34 years of being a U2 fanatic. I have had some inside sources on tour stops...but recording, I'm just making a (somewhat) educated guess.

The album is done...to an extent, but I think the current climate (US politics) is causing certain factions in the group to rethink this release. Again completely conjecture from me...but their reluctance to say "the album is expected this Fall" on Kimmel reflects the current thinking that anything is open at this point (in regards to themes and song writing for this album release).

I also think that the response (from fans and critics alike) has altered their thinking on this nostalgic tour. It's carrying some weight and relevance, and what seemed like an excuse to tour the Anniversary of TJT is really turning into a political/social statement.

Maybe U2 is the band to bring Rock back...:hmm:

Excellent post mate, I for one am still hoping for SOE this year and maybe some JT/SOE tour to follow

Excellent post mate, I for one am still hoping for SOE this year and maybe some JT/SOE tour to follow

I don't think it's out of the question...right now. Come August, if there's no word...well then we'll be waiting until 2018 at some point.

The problem is they're pushing 60 now...so that might play into getting the album out a bit sooner...we shall see!

Cheers!

Honestly, probably strong rumours about a tour, and NZH are assuming it is JT given it is the current one

That's kinda where I'm leaning right now. I'm thinking these media outlets are hearing touring whispers and just assuming it's a continuation of where they are now, because they don't know better and don't know that the iE tour was meant to be a 2 part tour.

BUT... it is U2

That's kinda where I'm leaning right now. I'm thinking these media outlets are hearing touring whispers and just assuming it's a continuation of where they are now, because they don't know better and don't know that the iE tour was meant to be a 2 part tour.

BUT... it is U2

Yeah..... Why wait until 2018 to continue the JT tour in the Southern Hemisphere? If its on the back of a new album would make sense. But the current leg finishes in July. Even if they started in Oct they could easily have the whole southern hemisphere done by December.

Having said that I could take a hybrid show with JT and SOE. The thing is though in stadiums dunno if that would work with the set not containing enough material casuals are all that familiar with to be honest.

Either way we really deserve to see them down here its been a long time. You guys in the US and Europe dont know how lucky you have it.

Honest to goodness, I don't think they are in any kind of hurry to finish this album. New albums don't make them any money, touring does. And right now, they're in the middle of a very successful, sold out stadium tour (and Pittsburgh). Might as well hit South America, Australia, etc and make a bunch of money. If this JT tour goes into early 2018, I wouldn't expect SOE until later 2018. Then tour SOE in 2019.

I know this isn't what we want, but they're gonna follow the money. And the money is telling them to milk this JT thing for all it's worth.

They don't need the money. They're craving relevance more than a big payday. And regardless, I&E continuing will sellout venues, they don't need the JT tour to make money playing live.

Reading the article again now that I'm not half asleep - it is VERY poorly researched. It only says in quotes that U2 is touring NZ in 2018, and they are currently touring TJT. The writer connects the two, not the source.

Then the writer claims that OTH is a New Zealand (and Australia) bonus track on the album.

I wouldn't freak out just yet.

I keep listening to the various YouTube vids of their Kimmle performance of "The Little Things".

I really like SOI and inevitably this song and all songs on the new album will be compared but I can't do that based on a live performance vs a studio recording.

With that said, I really like the song. The lyrics are relatable and quite frankly beautiful. The build is something special...at first I thought it was boring but now it really works and because it's so basic You focus on the lyrics and it makes the song as a whole just so much more powerful.

Edges guitar at the end, while fairly basic adds a nice punch to the song and brings it to another level.

My strong belief is that the studio mix is going to add addition layers of sound that are going to take this song to another level for me and a lot of folks here. I'm not an "everything U2 releases is gold" type fan but this is 100% single material.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

They don't need the money. They're craving relevance more than a big payday. And regardless, I&E continuing will sellout venues, they don't need the JT tour to make money playing live.

Everything you say is correct.

And yet... here they are, playing to sold out stadiums on the back of a 30 year old album. They could have spent this time finishing the album... but they didn't. They do crave relevance... and then they go out and do a nostalgia tour like this. At first it was just going to be a few shows to honor the Joshua Tree. Then it became a stadium tour of North America and Europe. Now, there are strong rumors of them taking this JT Tour to South America, Australia, New Zealand, and having it last into 2018.

You're right, they don't need the money. But they're not exactly turning it away, either. I don't blame them. Why not? Make that money, fuck it.

Last edited:
Reading the article again now that I'm not half asleep - it is VERY poorly researched. It only says in quotes that U2 is touring NZ in 2018, and they are currently touring TJT. The writer connects the two, not the source.

Then the writer claims that OTH is a New Zealand (and Australia) bonus track on the album.

I wouldn't freak out just yet.

This was actually my first thought too. They could just be putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 22.

I FINALLY broke down and listening to "Little Things". I was hoping to wait until the Cleveland show, so I could hear it live for the first time. But I figured... FUCK IT. I really like it upon my first listen. I'm actually not someone who bashes on 2000's U2, I pretty much like it all (except GOYB and The Miracle). This seems like a song that will eventually kind of blend in with other 00's era U2 songs, but that's not a bad thing for me.

I just can't imagine why they would debut a new song, say that it's for SOE, and then not release it for 10 months or whatever. But, it's U2, anything can happen.

I FINALLY broke down and listening to "Little Things". I was hoping to wait until the Cleveland show, so I could hear it live for the first time. But I figured... FUCK IT. I really like it upon my first listen. I'm actually not someone who bashes on 2000's U2, I pretty much like it all (except GOYB and The Miracle). This seems like a song that will eventually kind of blend in with other 00's era U2 songs, but that's not a bad thing for me.

I just can't imagine why they would debut a new song, say that it's for SOE, and then not release it for 10 months or whatever. But, it's U2, anything can happen.

Somehow, I'm probably one of the few who have now held off from hearing either Little Things or The Best Thing in any clip or form these past few months. Kudos to you for making it this long! :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom