SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming... - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #181
The Fly

Local Time: 10:36 AM
The "tax avoiding" thing really only has legs in Ireland and some UK. Not a person stateside could give a shit, and we all look for ways to lessen our taxes. I cannot imagine that really has that much pull, when looked at from a "per person aware of U2" statistic. Most don't know, some who know don't care, and then there is a small number who care so much it makes them hate the band. Fair enough...but that just isn't that impactful. The negativity Bono draws is far more from a cynical society that hates "from the sleeve" emotions, and parses every comment for deep meaning from a guy who is known to speak words for the fun of speaking without always engaging the brain first. Add to it people who don't want politics in music (this amazes me...have you heard of U2?), and Bono gets to be the punching bag. I agree more personal lyrics can help bridge that gap, but I don't think that "love or hate" dichotomy with Bono really rests upon his structuring of personal assets and residence to avoid paying high taxes. Outside of a few people who were probably going to hate him anyway.

As for the new song. I really do like it. Yes, it is 2000's U2, but it is the 2000's and the band is U2, so I am not sure why that is a surprise. There are elements of 80's emotion, but it is still largely a 2000's U2 song, which is fine. The 1980's U2 was the 1980's U2, and they often moved off a theme, so the UF sound was short lived, as was the War sound and the JT/R&H sound, and what they do now is a more contemporary rock version that pulls from all those influences. There are still anthemic moments, keyboard soundscapes, some chime here and there, and also the standard American progressions they learned from JT. I don't think they are in the time/headspace/age to make another sound/noise art record, and Pop certainly made them realize the general public doesn't want its dance beats from U2, though we can all disagree with the general public there. This is a good song that might turn into a great song, but I still feel like its impact is going to be with fans only, because there simply is not a medium for a 50 year old band to get their song out to the masses in any way that penetrates the cultural norm. That's true of everyone...that mechanism is dead, and it is up to fans to buy their favorite bands albums, knowing 40,000 units in a week is enough to throw it up at the top of the charts these days. The million sellers for new music from old bands are long gone. So charting this as to whether it is a success by sales numbers compared against the past is a pointless venture. For me, just...is it good? SOI was good in parts. But it wasn't great. There are songs I really like, but the album wasn't a "turn on and listen through" album. I know a lot of diehards hate ATYCLB, but that was a good album...right up to the cliff (again, that cliff is either after In A Little While or Peace on Earth for me...it changes). It worked. The songs were good. They had staying power. That's all I want...a good album. I am not going to hold it up against the past. Just my ears.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:51 PM   #182
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Ah, this song is pure 80's U2...

Let's get past next weeks TJT Re-release and then we can start getting ready for SOE...

Old 05-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #183
Refugee

I just can't find the "generic"-ness that people are complaining about. It's a piano ballad, something U2 really hasn't done a whole lot of. And that chorus is pure pop goodness. Maybe I'm just a generic pop lover, but it's a nice little song with that soaring end.

I'd much prefer this as a lead single than another Elevation/Vertigo/Boots/Miracle wannabe.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:02 PM   #184
The Fly

Local Time: 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKnight View Post
I just can't find the "generic"-ness that people are complaining about. It's a piano ballad, something U2 really hasn't done a whole lot of. And that chorus is pure pop goodness. Maybe I'm just a generic pop lover, but it's a nice little song with that soaring end.
Agree. Unless people are conflating "generic" with "easily listenable", which some do. It is an easy to hear song, accessible, with basic elements, but so is most rock music with a pop hook (and good pop hooks are not easy), and this is executed very well. Just the fact that it can resonate on first listen is a good sign the song has been done well. I consider generic to be that thin/overproduced sound with 24 tracks blasting small elements that are not differentiated from the other, creating this bland picket fence, rather than wall, of sound, turned down against modded/auto-tuned vocals.

The way I always refer to "generic" music to friends/wife is "hey, it's a Zach Attack song". The Zach Attack was the fake band Zach Morris had on Saved by the Bell that would occasionally play in an episode for no apparent reason, apropos of nothing, with no other episodes focusing on the fact that he had this gig-ready band. They would play at their diner, and the music was usually a keyboard/synth driven drone with some funky but not too funky rhythm and bubble gum lyrics. Fake music. Whenever I hear a song that sounds like that, I say "Hey...it's a new song from Zach Attack!" Kind of like any "band" on a Disney Channel show.

I don't get that from this. This is an emotional ballad. If generic is it is listenable on first take and doesn't require the listener to dig through noise and experimental layers to find the melody, then yeah...it isn't Zooropa. But it isn't generic. There is a lot of generic out today...that isn't generic
Old 05-24-2017, 01:05 PM   #185
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:36 PM
Quote:

I'd much prefer this as a lead single than another Elevation/Vertigo/Boots/Miracle wannabe.
I prefer the first half of the song, before it gets drowned out in yet another Edge chime-fest overload.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #186
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
Question from someone who didn't see it - is it possible they are just providing standard answers because they don't yet want to give away their plans?
It's late May. I think we'd be getting more info than this if SOE is coming this year.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #187
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Awake n AZ View Post
Agree. Unless people are conflating "generic" with "easily listenable", which some do. It is an easy to hear song, accessible, with basic elements, but so is most rock music with a pop hook (and good pop hooks are not easy), and this is executed very well. Just the fact that it can resonate on first listen is a good sign the song has been done well. I consider generic to be that thin/overproduced sound with 24 tracks blasting small elements that are not differentiated from the other, creating this bland picket fence, rather than wall, of sound, turned down against modded/auto-tuned vocals.

The way I always refer to "generic" music to friends/wife is "hey, it's a Zach Attack song". The Zach Attack was the fake band Zach Morris had on Saved by the Bell that would occasionally play in an episode for no apparent reason, apropos of nothing, with no other episodes focusing on the fact that he had this gig-ready band. They would play at their diner, and the music was usually a keyboard/synth driven drone with some funky but not too funky rhythm and bubble gum lyrics. Fake music. Whenever I hear a song that sounds like that, I say "Hey...it's a new song from Zach Attack!" Kind of like any "band" on a Disney Channel show.

I don't get that from this. This is an emotional ballad. If generic is it is listenable on first take and doesn't require the listener to dig through noise and experimental layers to find the melody, then yeah...it isn't Zooropa. But it isn't generic. There is a lot of generic out today...that isn't generic
Exactly. This times times a thousand.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:17 PM   #188
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:36 PM
I am absolutely not expecting an album until early 2018. Once this Joshua Tree 30 tour was announced, I assumed we had said goodbye to a 2017 release. If these South American shows are for JT, then you can kiss SOE 2017 goodby for real.

I'll be VERY surprised if we get anything besides a single in 2017. Just embrace it people, makes it easier. Enjoy the tour if you can go,and 2018 will be here before you know it. Life is short, time goes fast... 9 months is nothing.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #189
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I actually love the first half of the song. It's the second half that loses it for me....though hearing a proper version does help. I feel Adam and Larry have a great build, almost Please like....but Edge goes for something else. Not bad, but not great. Which is what I would call his guitar playing for most of the 2000s

But that first part, I just love the melody. The hunted become the pray is a little clunky with the 2000s Bono 3 billion syllables, but if you hum instead of try to cram the words, it's lovely.

I think 2000s U2 have become much more melodic. They've gotten into Beatles territory for a good tune/pop song. I just don't know if that's ever been U2 strength. They've always had melodies, but there was always a space or atmosphere about them. 2000s U2 seems a bit more direct, the melodies hit you right away versus taking some time to soak in.

Eh

No clue on when new album will come out. They did seem a bit coy on Kimmel, to the point where you could almost project it was all done on purpose. I do believe Edge will be mixing the songs non stop, but seems like such a waste to mix for another year?

I think we'll know whenever the South American tour is announced.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:22 PM   #190
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
I am absolutely not expecting an album until early 2018. Once this Joshua Tree 30 tour was announced, I assumed we had said goodbye to a 2017 release. If these South American shows are for JT, then you can kiss SOE 2017 goodby for real.

I'll be VERY surprised if we get anything besides a single in 2017. Just embrace it people, makes it easier. Enjoy the tour if you can go,and 2018 will be here before you know it. Life is short, time goes fast... 9 months is nothing.

The only thing I'm bummed out about is it puts Little Things in jeopardy. If they're showing it to the world and on TV, I'm worried it'll get lost in the shuffle. Otherwise, I'm pumped to have something concrete to get hyped for in 2017 (JT30) while knowing we'll most likely get something in 2018 and 2019 (new album, tours)
Old 05-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #191
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:36 PM
Old 05-24-2017, 01:34 PM   #192
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

For people saying Bono changing lyrics is an indication the album isn't done, he changes lyrics to songs live all the time
Old 05-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #193
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

That Kimmel version is gorgeous
Old 05-24-2017, 01:40 PM   #194
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Thee Dog View Post
Ah, this song is pure 80's U2...

Let's get past next weeks TJT Re-release and then we can start getting ready for SOE...

So hope you are right, ready for SOE now, cannot wait to hear it
Old 05-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #195
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:36 AM
Quote:
Sort of reminds me when people who aren't hardcore fans always say that all U2 songs "sound the same", even if it's only based on hearing a guitar or Bono singing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2girl View Post
I prefer the first half of the song, before it gets drowned out in yet another Edge chime-fest overload.
Before SOI: "I really hope Edge avoids the chime-y guitar riffs on the new stuff and does something original or out of the ordinary."

After SOI: "OMG, IRIS IS THE BEST SONG ON THE ALBUM!!!"
Old 05-24-2017, 02:12 PM   #196
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna Run 2 U View Post
Changing lyrics and when parts start in the song still indicates the album isn't done yet.
You're new to U2, we get it, but Bono's changing lyrics to 30 year old songs this tour.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #197
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
You're new to U2, we get it, but Bono's changing lyrics to 30 year old songs this tour.
"Want to sing along to Streets on the Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary Tour?

FUCK YOU"
Old 05-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #198
New Yorker

SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post

Not new to U2 at all. I don't think he's changing stuff on this one for the sake of switching it up. The songs not finished, I feel.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #199
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
"Want to sing along to Streets on the Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary Tour?

FUCK YOU"
Are you kidding? It's the first time he's sung 'high on a desert plain' in ages!

*waits patiently to be corrected*
Old 05-24-2017, 02:57 PM   #200
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna Run 2 U View Post
Not new to u2 at all. I don't think he's changing stuff on this one for the sake of switching it up. The songs not finished.
Yeah, ummmm I knew that.

I think Bono is someone who will constantly be changing lyrics, updating, etc. He has an album that's not released yet, so he's probably taking advantage of that fact. This could be an idea that came to him last night, or it could have been an old line from the first revision that he now likes better. This is how he's always worked, we're just getting a rare glimpse because we hardly get to hear songs prior to a studio release. It doesn't MEAN anything.