SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honest question....has an artist ever promoted a song on TV that was not part of a released or confirmed to be released album, or a released or confirmed to be released single?

They promoted a song that essentially does not exist or to everyone's knowledge has no plan on existing....it's fucking odd as hell.

We were all pissed about Invisible not being on the album when they played Fallen but we all had a copy or the ability to buy a copy of the song.

This really is bananas!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yes, plenty have.

To everyone's knowledge this has no plan on existing? Yeah, that's fucking odd as hell :huh:

It is strange that there isn't an official release, but I don't see this as the song they will be promoting SOE with... I think we can all agree that The Best Thing is going to be the lead single and will be the song to lead the charge for that new album.

At the moment, I see this song as a gentle reminder that, even in the midst of a nostalgia tour, they are still writing new music and are (hopefully) on the cusp of returning with something new. Plus, the theme of the song fits with that as well. Strange that there isn't an official version, but I imagine that they have bigger things planned for SOE's rollout and are using this as a stopgap.

I think the two parts of the song blend together nicely...I love the break, and that simple bass rumble low on the neck...that transition is like the Clearmountain Pause without the full pause...just the low rumble of Adam bridging the two parts..

It is strange that there isn't an official release, but I don't see this as the song they will be promoting SOE with... I think we can all agree that The Best Thing is going to be the lead single and will be the song to lead the charge for that new album.

At the moment, I see this song as a gentle reminder that, even in the midst of a nostalgia tour, they are still writing new music and are (hopefully) on the cusp of returning with something new. Plus, the theme of the song fits with that as well. Strange that there isn't an official version, but I imagine that they have bigger things planned for SOE's rollout and are using this as a stopgap.

Good observation and point. This song may be the most "Joshua Tree" sounding song on the new album, which may be why it's included. I have no basis for making this claim, but it seems logical.

Sorry for using logic in a Interference thread...

I think this song will get the invisible treatment to be honest. I can see it becoming a bonus track or a hidden track. Maybe even some sort of digital download with the uber deluxe DVD of a certain concert. They are adding this song as an honorable mention so they get some press that a new album is coming and that they aren't a nostalgia act (yet). Whether it's on the album or not they at least seem to be more than committed to really putting out Songs Of Experience.

Last edited:
The song sounds like a closer to an album, in my opinion. Lyrically, obviously, but also the quiet way it both starts and ends.

I still withstand that it's really good, but needs a more interesting and rich arrangement/production on the album than we've heard live so far. The bass and drums is fine, but the piano and guitar-work is frankly boring (mostly the piano, guitar is not that bad) and there's not much else around it to supplement that sound. Some people may not like when there's too much going on with the production, and of course there's a limit, but listening to the Kimmel-version and it's ridiculous how much that shimmer effect/guitar adds. It's not even remotely unique, but it's just something to make it sound fuller and more interesting.

The first part needs something similar, or simply something different than some simple piano chord playing. Perhaps using strings as the main instrumentation, with perhaps a quiet guitar supplementing it, I don't know. The song has this great potential to start out slow and beautiful (before building towards an exciting end), but right now it's bordering on slow and boring instead.

The song sounds like a closer to an album, in my opinion. Lyrically, obviously, but also the quiet way it both starts and ends.

I still withstand that it's really good, but needs a more interesting and rich arrangement/production on the album than we've heard live so far. The bass and drums is fine, but the piano and guitar-work is frankly boring (mostly the piano, guitar is not that bad) and there's not much else around it to supplement that sound. Some people may not like when there's too much going on with the production, and of course there's a limit, but listening to the Kimmel-version and it's ridiculous how much that shimmer effect/guitar adds. It's not even remotely unique, but it's just something to make it sound fuller and more interesting.

The first part needs something similar, or simply something different than some simple piano chord playing. Perhaps using strings as the main instrumentation, with perhaps a quiet guitar supplementing it, I don't know. The song has this great potential to start out slow and beautiful (before building towards an exciting end), but right now it's bordering on slow and boring instead.
As I said earlier, it's needs some really good production. If it's badly produced, it'll kill it.

As I said earlier, it's needs some really good production. If it's badly produced, it'll kill it.

Which is probably why they drive themselves mad with their constant remixing, re recording, and bringing in multiple producers. It's not easy.

Don't get the "it will get the invisible treatment", when Bono is saying it's already on the new album

They could have capitalized on Kimmel by putting a song out then. TJT jumped back into the iTunes charts after the show aired and is still #16.

They could have capitalized on Kimmel by putting a song out then. TJT jumped back into the iTunes charts after the show aired and is still #16.
Yeah, strange to play it on a talk show with no way for the public to access it afterwards. Strange marketing decision.

I remember the Invisible commercial coming on at the Super Bowl and party guests groaning that U2 was forcing themselves on everyone. Little did they know that they would be forced on everyone's phones later.

I remember the Invisible commercial coming on at the Super Bowl and party guests groaning that U2 was forcing themselves on everyone. Little did they know that they would be forced on everyone's phones later.

I remember a friend saying "Wow, that's dope! Pretty nice of them!"

and then two months ago I retweeted an article about Pop and he replied with "Yeah except U2 are trash people."

U2 hate: back in vogue.

The Kygo mix is just so desperate sounding. The verses sounds too much like EBTTRT. I'm a young person who likes young people music, and it sounds exactly like what it is: a bunch of old men trying to sound 'hip'

I don't remember very much the beach clip, but I remember it being slightly less embarassing.

Verses are similar to EBTTRT but I prefer this to Little things. Groovy, youthful and very catchy. And Lyrically some early 90's evocative writing.

Verses are similar to EBTTRT but I prefer this to Little things. Groovy, youthful and very catchy. And Lyrically some early 90's evocative writing.

ahhhhhh I love EBTTRT though it has such a chilled groovy kinda vibe that you just don't hear anymore. And the guitar. That song is more organic :drool:

I really have no clue how people think the song sounds incomplete, or that there's an issue with the two separate parts. It baffles me.

Agreed, its also only live versions we've heard too.

I also don't really get why there would be a problem with dropping SOE or a new single now, and why some think it would impact on the JT30 tour? Its not like they need to promote JT30 anymore, the tickets are all sold already, whoever is going to buy any of the JT 2017 version albums have probably already put orders in anyway. It would be pretty cool for them to run through a concert (maybe the rumoured South American/Oz ones like thus:

First 3 songs: Pre JT (as they are doing now)
Next: JT album in full (as now)
First encore: 3 or 4 songs from SOE
Second encore: 5 or 6 classics/biggest hits (as they are doing now)

Then follow this with a proper restart of the I+e tour next year, where they play 6 or 7 SOE songs a night.

I still withstand that it's really good, but needs a more interesting and rich arrangement/production on the album than we've heard live so far. The bass and drums is fine, but the piano and guitar-work is frankly boring (mostly the piano, guitar is not that bad) and there's not much else around it to supplement that sound.

I'm banking on this having a pretty textured production.. I'm thinking deep, prominent bass, some strings, and some sort of rhythm track.

for comparison's sake, consider this Lamb song as a good example of the kind of work Andy Barlow does with a piano centric piece of music

edit:

or, maybe going so far as this

Last edited:
I'm banking on this having a pretty textured production.. I'm thinking deep, prominent bass, some strings, and some sort of rhythm track.

for comparison's sake, consider this Lamb song as a good example of the kind of work Andy Barlow does with a piano centric piece of music

edit:

or, maybe going so far as this

I like the first one. The second one I'm not too keen on .

It kind of reminds me of Hitler's run through Europe in the 1940's.

Agreed, its also only live versions we've heard too.

I also don't really get why there would be a problem with dropping SOE or a new single now, and why some think it would impact on the JT30 tour? Its not like they need to promote JT30 anymore, the tickets are all sold already, whoever is going to buy any of the JT 2017 version albums have probably already put orders in anyway. It would be pretty cool for them to run through a concert (maybe the rumoured South American/Oz ones like thus:

First 3 songs: Pre JT (as they are doing now)
Next: JT album in full (as now)
First encore: 3 or 4 songs from SOE
Second encore: 5 or 6 classics/biggest hits (as they are doing now)

Then follow this with a proper restart of the I+e tour next year, where they play 6 or 7 SOE songs a night.

If they do tour IE this fall it would be interesting to know what happens to TJT war horses that have reached their saturation point with this current tour. Personally, I think they should put ASOH and MLK back in and drop UV on this leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom