SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?

• Total voters
25 light years from home........sorry

r0yzgg.gif

I wouldn't say I love TLTTGYA, but it does have some good lyrics and vocals, and the climactic second half is admittedly pretty great - really gives off that 'heart on their sleeve' U2 vibe that was strong on ATYCLB (which SoE is inspired by, according to Ryan Tedder).

I'm not too worried about it not being amazing - I'm betting they deliberately didn't pick the lead single/strongest tune off SoE to play, and likely only chose this one at all because of the lyrical content, and how it's appropriate for closing the show.

I'd love to hear a studio version. I feel like some synths or strings could really help, although it's clearly a song they can play as just the 4 of them (as opposed to the Miracle which had to be heavily reworked to function live, and still felt empty to me). I wonder if it's the result of work with Lillywhite!

I think the song needs tweaking. I'm not too hot on what Edge is doing there towards the end. It just needs something extra.

you are 100% correct. Which is what you might have said originally, rather than implying that only the regular critics don't like the song.

Listen to this at 4:50. Tell me that guitar is not lifted straight out of COBL.

https://youtu.be/TGFwmn22y5g

The delay pattern is similar to COBL, yes. Which also has a similar delay pattern to Electric Co. Go figure.

I really like the new song. A LOT.
When the guitars start to creep in I think of Electric Co. I don't hear COBL there. It imprinted differently for me, I guess.

And I don't mind them doing what they're good at. What they're good at sounds great. New song is a keeper.

I can't even remember anything about North Star, which shows you the impression it left.

(And no, please don't post a video clip to remind me. If I ever feel like listening to it, I know where YouTube is.)

There is a version a fan made, where he took Bono and Edge's acoustic version and added drums, bass, piano and strings over top of it. The result is the best version of "North Star" in existence, IMO.

One of the stranger things U2 have done, is record this song, actually have about 2 minute of it play in the background of one of the Transformers movies. But NEVER release the full version of the song. It's not on the film soundtrack. It was never released as a stand alone single or anything! It's not my favorite U2 song or anything, but I'd certainly like to hear the version that they deemed complete enough to put in a movie.

Love the new song. Waiting for dan_smee to work his magic and upload a better sounding version on clip.it ;D

Ha! Not much magic, just some basic cleaning and levelling in Audacity. There is a decent bootleg of the Santa Clara show - when I get home from work I will check it out. That's probably the best source of any of the videos or bootlegs from the tour, so it's the best bet. U2start has a flac version up now.

The sound for the Santa Clara bootleg is phenomenal for an outdoor show. Honestly, the bass is powerful and clear.

This link is raw form the taper. It doesn't need tweaking at all.

https://clyp.it/cbhhgvbx

The thing that strikes me immediately is the song sounds waaaaay better and more complex with clear audio of the bass line. Adam brings it. I also am convinced the thing that is 'missing' as other people have put it is a second guitar during the build, and a strong continuation of the piano line. The guitar thing is not possible live, but both things can be (and probably are) fixed in the studio version.

caved and listened. thought I'd avoid everything til the album or first single, but that's a pretty great song.

Like you say, Dan, there's probably more going on in the studio version. Hopefully, anyway, it does sound a bit sparse. But I imagine actually being there it'd be different.

The sound for the Santa Clara bootleg is phenomenal for an outdoor show. Honestly, the bass is powerful and clear.

The thing that strikes me immediately is the song sounds waaaaay better and more complex with clear audio of the bass line. Adam brings it. I also am convinced the thing that is 'missing' as other people have put it is a second guitar during the build, and a strong continuation of the piano line. The guitar thing is not possible live, but both things can be (and probably are) fixed in the studio version.
:up::up::up:

Adam's Bass makes 50% difference

In Sun article. "Grieving and totally depressed. People feel like their innocence has died a little bit" - Bono in reference to Trump

[emoji849][emoji849][emoji849]

One or two more cryptic comments and I'm ready to believe that they have reached a release agreement in the last few days. The comment before Little Things has gone from a vague "this is a song of experience" to the direct "we have a new album". Now they are paving the way for their patter and spin with comments like that.

I mean - it's u2, so I think the chance has gone from 0.5% to 2% - but Kimmel, and these two things aggregated may not be a coincidence.

I just had another listen and it is really growing on me so thanks for posting. I hope you are right in regards to the studio version having more layers which would make the song so much more atmospheric and powerful. Lets hope the band get the studio version right.

One or two more cryptic comments and I'm ready to believe that they have reached a release agreement in the last few days. The comment before Little Things has gone from a vague "this is a song of experience" to the direct "we have a new album". Now they are paving the way for their patter and spin with comments like that.

I mean - it's u2, so I think the chance has gone from 0.5% to 2% - but Kimmel, and these two things aggregated may not be a coincidence.

What's the latest comment mate?

What's the latest comment mate?

Just the one about innocence dying a few posts up. It is strange he would reference a lyric in a song only people attending the shows will hear in an interview. Its the kind of thing he would do repeatedly if he was promoting an album though.

Just the one about innocence dying a few posts up. It is strange he would reference a lyric in a song only people attending the shows will hear in an interview. Its the kind of thing he would do repeatedly if he was promoting an album though.

Ah gotcha, I am starting to feel a little more confident again it has to be said, maybe the shows in SA will end up being some sort of JT/SOE hybrid with some hits thrown in?

I think the atu2 article is half BS.

Yes u2 are planning to go to SA. But from what I hear, there's no lock on dates/locations

But unless plans have very recently changed (which is possible), there's been no talk of extending the JT tour.

I think the atu2 article is half BS.

Yes u2 are planning to go to SA. But from what I hear, there's no lock on dates/locations

But unless plans have very recently changed (which is possible), there's been no talk of extending the JT tour.

And I don't think Bono has said anything so contradict that so far

Back
Top Bottom