SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?

• Total voters
OK, this might not be a popular opinion, but why are they rehearsing new songs which haven't been released? There's nothing more certain to kill the atmosphere at a gig than a band playing a new song which the vast majority of the crowd don't know. And you can multiply that certainty by a huge factor given the nature of these shows given a lot of people going who are only going because of the nostalgia element.

I really really want to get new music from the band, but if they try and fudge the JT and new music thing, I can see the poor reaction and inevitable reviews a mile-off.

If it's the closer then people who don't like it leave, but it seems to be an engaging slow burner, big drums, should be fine.

I really really want to get new music from the band, but if they try and fudge the JT and new music thing, I can see the poor reaction and inevitable reviews a mile-off.

nah, there will be no reaction outside this board.

new song has a nice bit of melancholy shooting through its melody. That's a good thing. Hopefully they're not still trying to chase "joy"

new song has a nice bit of melancholy shooting through its melody. That's a good thing. Hopefully they're not still trying to chase "joy"

Amen! They haven't chased the darkness since the odd song on Pop.

Arguably, The Troubles went there, and it was one of the better songs of the last 15 years.

Arguably, The Troubles went there, and it was one of the better songs of the last 15 years.

I would add RBW and SLABT. Just so happens, along with The Troubles, those are probably my 3 favorite SOI tunes. To me, they are always better in the darkness than the "joy".

Even tho can't really hear anything besides some bass, piano, drums and bit of vocals.....it at least is better than SFS

And I agree on the preference for dark songs. Sprinkle in some happy ones but really feel they're at their best with darker content

Well some of their 00's songs were such joyful topics like Hutchence's suicide, death of Bob Hewson and a in-character written song about a junkie...

Maybe. But I don't have to be pushed to slice my wrists open every time to think a song is good either. You can have a bit of both, I would think.

Both SLABT and The Troubles seemed to do that job pretty well on this last album.

Well some of their 00's songs were such joyful topics like Hutchence's suicide, death of Bob Hewson and a in-character written song about a junkie...

Touche.

More footage of The Little Things:

https://twitter.com/_Phelix/status/859956141760983040

And it's played around the 1.02.25 mark on this periscope feed:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BdGYvmBdagJX

It appears to open with a 'heartbeat' style drum beat from Larry. I remember thinking that The Morning After Innocence (which became this new song) might be the same as 'Civilisation' (I think because they were both described as the album opener). Anyway, Civilisation was described as having 'colossal' drums, and Bono called it his "favourite sonic part of a u2 song, ever".

I'm wondering if that opening is what they were referring to...

I definitely am hearing the word "Innocence" clearly throughout the song. Lyrics definitely not sounding anything like what Bono was quoting for Little Things...

I posted this in the rehearsal thread but it's probably more appropriate here: matching up with Bono's U2.com lyrics, the new clip posted on Twitter starts with the line "the words you cannot say/big mouth in the way..." and then you can follow along until the end of the chorus. Then it seems like new lyrics after that.

Last edited:
OK, this might not be a popular opinion, but why are they rehearsing new songs which haven't been released? There's nothing more certain to kill the atmosphere at a gig than a band playing a new song which the vast majority of the crowd don't know. And you can multiply that certainty by a huge factor given the nature of these shows given a lot of people going who are only going because of the nostalgia element.

360 had a number of problems with the setlist, but playing the new songs was not one of them. Didn't kill those shows. I maintain this is a brilliant promotional opportunity: "we've just played one of our masterpieces, and stay tuned for more great music. Here's a sample."

Ehh, the failed Unknown Caller singalong definitely took the air out of the show, and closing with a long, heavy track like Moment of Surrender that wasn't even given a chance as a single didn't exactly end the show on a great note.

But I agree with your general sentiment. A new upcoming single after the JT set would be a perfect move.
Move

Ehh, the failed Unknown Caller singalong definitely took the air out of the show, and closing with a long, heavy track like Moment of Surrender that wasn't even given a chance as a single didn't exactly end the show on a great note.
Yeah Moment of Surrender was a beat the traffic exodus at Foxboro.

Yeah Moment of Surrender was a beat the traffic exodus at Foxboro.

For most of the audience. The band's hardcore fanbase dug it, of course. Definitely one of the most polarizing moments they've ever had at their shows as I really doubt the casual audience could give a fuck about that song.

But then there's the last tour, and let me tell you, having been in the seats I can definitely say the enthusiasm level shot way up once the overly choreographed beginning section ended and they got into playing their classic numbers. I only think a good chunk of fans really cared for SOI and everybody else could give a fuck about that album.

For most of the audience. The band's hardcore fanbase dug it, of course. Definitely one of the most polarizing moments they've ever had at their shows as I really doubt the casual audience could give a fuck about that song.

But then there's the last tour, and let me tell you, having been in the seats I can definitely say the enthusiasm level shot way up once the overly choreographed beginning section ended and they got into playing their classic numbers. I only think a good chunk of fans really cared for SOI and everybody else could give a fuck about that album.

nah.

the crowd was definitely into Cedarwood Road, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Wolves, UTEOTW.

Song for Someone not as much, but I still think Every Breaking Wave was the one song that really brought the momentum of the show to a screeching halt. Saw the ie tour 18 times from basically a different seat every time.

it sucks too because I do think it is one of the stronger songs on the album, but it absolutely did not work live.

they should've had Larry and Adam come in midway through to at least give it something extra, or better yet, have played it full band.

ah well.

Back
Top Bottom