SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II - Page 86 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?
In it's original sequence 70 67.31%
Reversed to build up to Streets 8 7.69%
Shuffled/scattered among the setlist 26 25.00%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #1276
The Fly

Local Time: 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
The sound for the Santa Clara bootleg is phenomenal for an outdoor show. Honestly, the bass is powerful and clear.

This link is raw form the taper. It doesn't need tweaking at all.

https://clyp.it/cbhhgvbx

The thing that strikes me immediately is the song sounds waaaaay better and more complex with clear audio of the bass line. Adam brings it. I also am convinced the thing that is 'missing' as other people have put it is a second guitar during the build, and a strong continuation of the piano line. The guitar thing is not possible live, but both things can be (and probably are) fixed in the studio version.

Thanks Dan, great job

Old 05-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #1277
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyyjoe View Post
Thanks Dan, great job
Wow, yeah, this is great. Am I wrong, or did Larry come in earlier this time, or at least more forcefully? Either way, it's great.
Their performance of it gets better. It feels shorter listening to it now, where the Vancouver/Seattle performance seemed too long. I think it was just a better performance making it feel tighter.
Do wish the Edge was doing something more unique, but we can't always get what we want.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #1278
Rock n' Roll Doggie

The SC rip is definitely the best version. I adore the melody of the verse and the chorus. I'm not the biggest fan of the ending, aside from Larry's drumming is on point.

Just want Edge to step up for this next album. He used to paint so many colors with his guitar and I feel he's been stuck on meh for a long time. There are a few exceptions of course.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #1279
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:44 PM
Quote:
The sound for the Santa Clara bootleg is phenomenal for an outdoor show. Honestly, the bass is powerful and clear.

The thing that strikes me immediately is the song sounds waaaaay better and more complex with clear audio of the bass line. Adam brings it. I also am convinced the thing that is 'missing' as other people have put it is a second guitar during the build, and a strong continuation of the piano line. The guitar thing is not possible live, but both things can be (and probably are) fixed in the studio version.
thanks for the link dan_smee! it sounds great!

it's catchy as hell too - after only hearing it a couple of times, i found myself humming it these past couple of days, and couldn't immediately place it - took me a few seconds haha
Old 05-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #1280
War Child

Local Time: 11:44 AM
I think it's such a great song.

My only problem is the same I had with Invisible: it's a KILLER chorus. Do it one more time at the end of the song!
Old 05-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #1281
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:44 PM
Quote:

Thanks Dan!
Old 05-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #1282
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
Good point on the 30 JT. But there a couple schools of thought here. Not uncommon at all for bands to be putting out several songs leading up to an album release. So possibly we get one release now and another in September...
Or maybe they just play it and talk about it being on the new album that will be coming out in Oct/Nov - and not officially releasing it yet...
Or they play it and give us nothing.
OR they play two JT songs...
I actually could envision them releasing a 2 or 3 songs before the eventual album release. Like you say, that's a pretty common thing, and, as others have mentioned, releasing anything over the summer will allow SoE to ride in the promotional slipstream of the Joshua Tree tour hype.

The audience - both in stadiums and watching tv appearances like the one next week - will already be there, and will likely be viewing U2 in the most favourable light they've had in a while (as they'll be playing some of their strongest tracks, and reminding the world of why they're such a huge band). So it seems like the perfect conditions to also slip in a new single or two to a receptive, built-in audience.

Having said that, I bet they're worried about one thing distracting from the other. They'll probably consider it 'neater' to tie up the JT tour, and only then start promotion for SoE in earnest. I hope I'm wrong though!

I think odds of playing TLTTGYA on Jimmy Kimmel are about 50/50, but I'd be completely shocked if they released it officially for another month or two at least.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:12 PM   #1283
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:44 PM
What if they really fucked with us and did Best Thing on the show? I really like Little Things, but it's not exactly a late night show appearance song.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #1284
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:44 AM
I don't think they would play 2 JT songs. And I also think they're likely to play something other than the "big 3". Streets is too big for a little stage like that anyway.

My guess is In God's Country, and then the new song.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #1285
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Little things is a song I can't put down, it has basically described everything in my life over the past year, this band still deliver such a message to some people
Old 05-19-2017, 09:43 PM   #1286
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:44 AM
We are way over the 1000 posts - new thread here

http://www.u2interference.com/forums...ml#post8166428