SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?

• Total voters
I think it is possible they are committed to touring SA and Aus, and have not confirmed which show because of the uncertainty of the SOE status. If it's ready, it will be that, if not, TJT will be extended due to popular demand

I think it is possible they are committed to touring SA and Aus, and have not confirmed which show because of the uncertainty of the SOE status. If it's ready, it will be that, if not, TJT will be extended due to popular demand

yeah I guess they can plan for a stadium tour either way.. especially if an iE stadium tour were to make use of the same technology and equipment in some way

Which judging by the "we have a new album" remark sounds to me like SOE is pretty much done

Could anyone see Larry's facial reaction when Bono made that comment? That's our clue

Though with all the work he's had done on said face, it may be difficult. It's now 100% surly ;)

That is a good sign him saying out loud "new album".....Let's see what comments come out during Kimmel. If they are playing two songs, I imagine we get Streets, and maybe Little Things

If it's between continuing this JT30 and resurrecting a two year old tour, I'd assume they'd go with the former every time. There's just no precedent; It would be like if they brought Lovetown to North America after Zoo TV ended.

Besides, if they want to tour South America and the rest of the world this year, Joshua Tree 2017 is a much stronger brand than resurrecting IE. The album's themes apply globally (Venezuela and Philippines come to mind)

Last edited:
I agree. I am starting to think that our boys might actually have a timeline planned out much more solidly than we think this time around. We've been burned a lot, so it is natural for us to doubt and be pessimistic. But this could be the plan all along, especially considering they started off the tour playing the new song.
Play the song live, do a couple promo stops during the tour, release the single and tee up SOE release in the fall.

Could be we are confused because they actually are doing something on a time line that makes sense for once.

That recording posted last page is pretty damn good. I think my biggest issue is that the first half just drags a little too long, and they don't really seem to know how to end the song. Other than that I'm quite liking it.

I think the atu2 article is half BS.

Yes u2 are planning to go to SA. But from what I hear, there's no lock on dates/locations

But unless plans have very recently changed (which is possible), there's been no talk of extending the JT tour.

Yeah its a very generic comment as well "the shows will be amazing" like of course he would say that... It also doesn't mean they are JT shows.

Thanks for the heads-up about the Santa Clara recording, am downloading the full show just now - audio quality on that track is amazing for an audience recording. And its great to finally have a really good copy of the song.

I still think part of their plan should be to make that song available for release now and start to build a buzz about the album.

Hooray, it's bootleg time again! :drool:

Thanks, all you tapers! Can't wait for the videos to start showing up on U2torrents.

Thanks for the heads-up about the Santa Clara recording, am downloading the full show just now - audio quality on that track is amazing for an audience recording. And its great to finally have a really good copy of the song.

I still think part of their plan should be to make that song available for release now and start to build a buzz about the album.

A cool approach is to release the single version along with a "b-side" of the live version. Playing the song live to 100k people a week for the next few months and then performing it on TV could give it a nice boost.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Someone made a good point that the 30th anniversary edition of the Joshua Tree comes out in a couple of weeks. So, I think it's unlikely they'll release anything imminently for SoE.

I think best, best case scenario we get is a lead single a few months before album release - in July. But, going off the rumours last year, I'd bet the first we'll hear anything is September.

Someone made a good point that the 30th anniversary edition of the Joshua Tree comes out in a couple of weeks. So, I think it's unlikely they'll release anything imminently for SoE.

I think best, best case scenario we get is a lead single a few months before album release - in July. But, going off the rumours last year, I'd bet the first we'll hear anything is September.

Good point on the 30 JT. But there a couple schools of thought here. Not uncommon at all for bands to be putting out several songs leading up to an album release. So possibly we get one release now and another in September...
Or maybe they just play it and talk about it being on the new album that will be coming out in Oct/Nov - and not officially releasing it yet...
Or they play it and give us nothing.
OR they play two JT songs... :|

So for kicks, i just went and listened to Little Things from Santa Clara.

I liked the song when i heard it the first time, but then got a little worried that it was a little too middle of the road. But it seemed a little tighter in Santa Clara, especially the first half.
While I am finding myself feeling like the band is lacking some energy when it comes to the older songs in the show, it seems like the one song that comes through with genuine feeling and passion is Little Things. I think this band just likes to be moving forward. And I like that.
I hope we get a better idea of the song on Kimmel, and I would love it if they would just release it.
I'm pretty shocked at all the very positive comments for this tune on YouTube and over at @U2, who often like to shit an a lot of new U2 stuff.

The sound for the Santa Clara bootleg is phenomenal for an outdoor show. Honestly, the bass is powerful and clear.

This link is raw form the taper. It doesn't need tweaking at all.

https://clyp.it/cbhhgvbx

The thing that strikes me immediately is the song sounds waaaaay better and more complex with clear audio of the bass line. Adam brings it. I also am convinced the thing that is 'missing' as other people have put it is a second guitar during the build, and a strong continuation of the piano line. The guitar thing is not possible live, but both things can be (and probably are) fixed in the studio version.

Thanks Dan, great job

Thanks Dan, great job

Wow, yeah, this is great. Am I wrong, or did Larry come in earlier this time, or at least more forcefully? Either way, it's great.
Their performance of it gets better. It feels shorter listening to it now, where the Vancouver/Seattle performance seemed too long. I think it was just a better performance making it feel tighter.
Do wish the Edge was doing something more unique, but we can't always get what we want.

The SC rip is definitely the best version. I adore the melody of the verse and the chorus. I'm not the biggest fan of the ending, aside from Larry's drumming is on point.

Just want Edge to step up for this next album. He used to paint so many colors with his guitar and I feel he's been stuck on meh for a long time. There are a few exceptions of course.

The sound for the Santa Clara bootleg is phenomenal for an outdoor show. Honestly, the bass is powerful and clear.

The thing that strikes me immediately is the song sounds waaaaay better and more complex with clear audio of the bass line. Adam brings it. I also am convinced the thing that is 'missing' as other people have put it is a second guitar during the build, and a strong continuation of the piano line. The guitar thing is not possible live, but both things can be (and probably are) fixed in the studio version.

thanks for the link dan_smee! it sounds great!

it's catchy as hell too - after only hearing it a couple of times, i found myself humming it these past couple of days, and couldn't immediately place it - took me a few seconds haha

Thanks Dan!

Good point on the 30 JT. But there a couple schools of thought here. Not uncommon at all for bands to be putting out several songs leading up to an album release. So possibly we get one release now and another in September...
Or maybe they just play it and talk about it being on the new album that will be coming out in Oct/Nov - and not officially releasing it yet...
Or they play it and give us nothing.
OR they play two JT songs... :|

I actually could envision them releasing a 2 or 3 songs before the eventual album release. Like you say, that's a pretty common thing, and, as others have mentioned, releasing anything over the summer will allow SoE to ride in the promotional slipstream of the Joshua Tree tour hype.

The audience - both in stadiums and watching tv appearances like the one next week - will already be there, and will likely be viewing U2 in the most favourable light they've had in a while (as they'll be playing some of their strongest tracks, and reminding the world of why they're such a huge band). So it seems like the perfect conditions to also slip in a new single or two to a receptive, built-in audience.

Having said that, I bet they're worried about one thing distracting from the other. They'll probably consider it 'neater' to tie up the JT tour, and only then start promotion for SoE in earnest. I hope I'm wrong though!

I think odds of playing TLTTGYA on Jimmy Kimmel are about 50/50, but I'd be completely shocked if they released it officially for another month or two at least.

What if they really fucked with us and did Best Thing on the show? I really like Little Things, but it's not exactly a late night show appearance song.

I don't think they would play 2 JT songs. And I also think they're likely to play something other than the "big 3". Streets is too big for a little stage like that anyway.

My guess is In God's Country, and then the new song.

Little things is a song I can't put down, it has basically described everything in my life over the past year, this band still deliver such a message to some people

Back
Top Bottom