SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?

• Total voters
New video for U2.com subscribers is the rest of the Q&A that originally appeared on Facebook.

At the end Bono talks about how it "sucks" that they won't bring the Joshua Tree tour to other parts of the world, but that they will visit those parts on the Songs of Experience tour, which they're currently in studio finishing.

So there's that.

Good stuff!

New video for U2.com subscribers is the rest of the Q&A that originally appeared on Facebook.

At the end Bono talks about how it "sucks" that they won't bring the Joshua Tree tour to other parts of the world, but that they will visit those parts on the Songs of Experience tour, which they're currently in studio finishing.

So there's that.

So basically u2 Facebook hates u2 fans. Lives could have been saved if they had just not edited the video.

No offense to those in the countries not getting this show, but this news is a relief if you care anything about the band's future as artists.

I always hoped the rumours of an Australian tour this year was I+e and not TJT.

I think TJT would be amazing so see, and I'm sad I won't see it, but I am also keenly aware that U2 in Australia tends to be a make up for the shows we miss (Elevation tour mini set on Vertigo), and I expect that an I+e tour would leverage the songs they thought did really well on the TJT tour anyway.

That and it means new music (logically)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

U2 will begin Joshua Tree Tour
-Public will be very receptive. Best tour in years. U2 is back

U2 will talk about SOE & maybe even play a new song at the shows
-Public will enjoy the song because it wasn't shoved in their faces like SOI

U2 will release SOE this fall because the public is interested in U2 again thanks to the JT Tour and the new song is pretty damn good. :up:

:up: I think this will turn out to be pretty accurate.

It's promising that they've set aside a good chunk of time to get their heads down in the studio (and hopefully wrap up the album) then focus on rehearsing again, instead of getting bogged down trying to do both at the same time.
If there are IE shows later this year for the rest of the world, the album will need to be (very close to) finished before the JT shows start, surely?

After pushing back SOE/the next IE leg so much, they probably know (and for all we know, could have been warned by LiveNation) that saying "oh we'll just finish it on the road, it'll be fine" isn't going to wash.

Silver lining of this not so amazing joshua tree boxset is its out in June, tour's wrapped up by August, leaving the autum cleared for SOE. Fingers crossed that's the plan.

So there's that.

:up::up::up:

thanks for posting!

"I've never sung the Joshua Tree in sequence. It's quite a ride for me." good sign :wink:

Of course!

I think RHMT, Exit, OTH, RTSS may be e stage possibilities to rotate around if the tour picks up in markets that did it get the JT tour.

I can see it now, I'll go on nights 3+4 in some city and know that I won't hear Exit because it's only played on night 1 haha

Here's the quote... So maybe the SOE album and tour (starting somewhere other than the US or Europe) will land sooner than expected after all.

"I can't wait for these shows. I wish there were more of them. Originally there were going to be 10, then it was 20 because we had to go to Europe. But there are so many places in the world we didn't get to and that sucks. But, we will get to you when Songs Of Experience is out, which won't be too long."

With the rumors of gigs in Australia and South America I think it's fairly certain that the plan is to release Songs of Experience in late summer/early fall, tour the lesser played areas of the world first, and then return to Europe and NA next year, likely in arenas, hitting the markets they missed this time (the southwest) + the major markets (NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA, Toronto, Seattle/Vancouver)

With the rumors of gigs in Australia and South America I think it's fairly certain that the plan is to release Songs of Experience in late summer/early fall, tour the lesser played areas of the world first, and then return to Europe and NA next year, likely in arenas, hitting the markets they missed this time (the southwest) + the major markets (NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA, Toronto, Seattle/Vancouver)

So ... I could basically see a 1987 focused U2-Show AND a 2017 focused U2-Show in the same year (if I go to a TJT gig in Europe and to .. say .. a South America SOE gig in fall)

Not that I'm complaining, but that's a busy schedule - after August, we'd be looking at releasing an album, promoting it, and doing a leg or two of the I&E tour. I suppose it's possible, but it makes me wonder if they might release a lead single (or even the album) during the JT tour.

The trend (and rumours for SoE's release last year) is to have a lead single a good 2 or 3 months before the album drops.

So, say they released a single in July, album in September, promotion in October, and tour November and December.. Does that sound feasible/likely?

If SOE was released early August the would still have 3 months before the start of a Nov tour... But there is also ticket sale dates to think about so I reckon Jan/Feb maybe more likley. But releasing an album right after the JT tour would be a good idea while they have peoples attention. During the tour though not so sure. But if they dont not sure they would have enough time between album ticket sales and tour.

Either way if the start the tour is in the Southern hemisphere and its outdoors Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb would be most likely I think. I would like arenas in Australia but doubt it. Perth stadium will also be done near the start of the year... U2 would make a good first band to play there!

Last edited:
Not that I'm complaining, but that's a busy schedule - after August, we'd be looking at releasing an album, promoting it, and doing a leg or two of the I&E tour. I suppose it's possible, but it makes me wonder if they might release a lead single (or even the album) during the JT tour.

The trend (and rumours for SoE's release last year) is to have a lead single a good 2 or 3 months before the album drops.

So, say they released a single in July, album in September, promotion in October, and tour November and December.. Does that sound feasible/likely?

I think a SOE will be Oct/Nov release. And them releasing a single or performing it at the JT Tour is kind of a cross promotion for U2.

As much criticism as U2 takes for their new music the media, public, & fans still get excited. It seems every interview they seem to have there always asked about the 'new album'.

Bono said its gonna be a big year for U2 in 2017 (Xmas video) and I'm starting to believe them.

It will be cool if the SOE tour starts in South America or Australia. Those fans deserve it with all the waiting they have to endure.

I think an august release of the album is not gonna happen. An August single, yes. But they will most likely wait until at least October, then have tickets on sale for the tour in December or January...? I don't think having the album out that close to tickets is as big of a deal if the tour is starting outside the US. They have a stronger core audience internationally who will buy tickets regardless.

The only other consideration would be Grammy eligibility. I would again guess they would release after Oct.1 to be consideration for the the 2018 grammies instead of sneaking in last minute on the 2017 ones, and probably being overlooked...

thoughts?

For anyone thinking the band was going to extend the Joshua Tree Tour 2017 to places like South America, Australia, New Zealand etc, there is this from atu2.com:

BONO:

I can't wait for these shows. I wish there were more of them. Originally there were going to be 10, then it was 20 because we had to go to Europe. But there are so many places in the world we didn't get to and that sucks. But, we will get to you when Songs Of Experience is out, which won't be too long.

For anyone thinking the band was going to extend the Joshua Tree Tour 2017 to places like South America, Australia, New Zealand etc, there is this from atu2.com:

BONO:

Just go one page back in THIS thread and you read it ... here

Here's the quote... So maybe the SOE album and tour (starting somewhere other than the US or Europe) will land sooner than expected after all.

"I can't wait for these shows. I wish there were more of them. Originally there were going to be 10, then it was 20 because we had to go to Europe. But there are so many places in the world we didn't get to and that sucks. But, we will get to you when Songs Of Experience is out, which won't be too long."

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/soe-19-back-to-the-studio-part-ii-220785-15.html#post8150882

BONO:

tenor.gif

at this point i'm wondering if they plan on dropping a single prior to the JT30 tour starting, or possibly in the middle of the tour.

there is that odd week break at the end of May - 7 whole days between shows. maybe they blocked that week off for single/album promotion.

Yip, the timeline seems all over the place, but I'm wondering if all this activity means they are going to release a single and album sooner than expected and get promoting it via the JT tour. Kills two birds with one stone... lets them ride the inevitable publicity to push the new album and if they can put the odd SOE song in to the setlist it lets them hit the ground running when it comes to the SOE tour with less rehearsal time needed?

It really wouldn't surprise me if they released the album as the tour gets going. The JT shows are already sold out and they've promoted the hell out of it and have the super duper boxes up for pre sale. It wouldn't take anything away from the tour or album in my opinion and could only help sell future tickets to the people who are only there for the Joshua Tree nostalgia and have a new reason to get back into the band.

Would seem odd to put out a new album while touring another album though.... A single yes album dunno. I think the new album would be overshadowed. August makes sense on the back of the JT tour for the album and a single during the JT.

Hopefully a quick turnaround between tours means they are confident enough in the new material. By highlighting the JT and then releasing and touring SOE they will be compared against each other no doubt.

Last edited:
I think that a single release towards the end of the JT tour would be a really good idea. I can see the headlines on my Facebook feed now, U2 debuts first single from Songs of Experience at concert in Paris

or U2 to release first song from new album Friday, play it live for Dublin fans

It would definitely create some buzz and keep them rolling on from the head of steam they have built up.

I think that a single release towards the end of the JT tour would be a really good idea. I can see the headlines on my Facebook feed now, U2 debuts first single from Songs of Experience at concert in Paris

or U2 to release first song from new album Friday, play it live for Dublin fans

It would definitely create some buzz and keep them rolling on from the head of steam they have built up.

Agreed. Then maybe announce an album release date and then release it once the JT tour concludes, then it gets attention while being able to breathe without competing with the JT tour. Otherwise I think the JT tour would overshadow the album at least press wise.

Quite interresting that some people AND U2 themself, would suggest that S.A./Mexico/Oceania fans base would be more open to new music from the band than the U.S/Canada/Europe market.

Back
Top Bottom