SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?

• Total voters
U2 rely heavily on the producers though. Ultimately it depends upon the material they bring, but they rely on the producer for composition advice and contributions. Jacknife Lee's involvement is not encouraging. Why the fuck can't they just stick to one producer, or one team? Their hodepodges never work.

I agree, the songs from SOI are excellent but the album is so overproduced

rumored extension of TJT tour into the fall bodes ill for a fall release.

lets hopes that the rumored dates are actually for the ie tour..

I wouldn't be surprised if the Fall release has been off the table for months.

Like I said that moment the Joshua Tree was announced, SOE was dead. They're probably still talking about it to keep fan interest and because they know at some point they'll want to release an album. But I don't think that album will be called SOE or be released within the next 2 years.

Agree.

They are most likely re-writing the SOE songs and morphing into Songs of Trump

Agree.

They are most likely re-writing the SOE songs and morphing into Songs of Trump

Having a few months now to digest it, how seriously do people here take the Trump as the reason for delay excuse? In other words, if Hilary Clinton were president would we have SoE already, or would there have been some other excuse not to release it?

Having a few months now to digest it, how seriously do people here take the Trump as the reason for delay excuse? In other words, if Hilary Clinton were president would we have SoE already, or would there have been some other excuse not to release it?

Oh yeah. You're spot on. The election had absolutely nothing to do with SOE's not coming out.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Fall release has been off the table for months.

Like I said that moment the Joshua Tree was announced, SOE was dead. They're probably still talking about it to keep fan interest and because they know at some point they'll want to release an album. But I don't think that album will be called SOE or be released within the next 2 years.

So you think they're just fooling around in the studio right now?

The fact that they're currently in the studio, in NYC with jackknife and Lillywhite instead of getting ready for the tour really leaves me at a loss. If they're not intending on getting SOE out this fall, why work so hard when they have tour rehearsals they could be doing.

I'll still be pleasantly surprised if SOE shows up in 2017, but this does have me scratching my head.

they wouldn't be rehearsing for a tour in a studio with producers. Even in the U2 world that would be a new level of nonsense.

you guys are aware that you can use a recording studio to rehearse material you've already recorded, right?

They mentioned in an interview recently that they were going to spend March in the studio with Lillywhite to 'cut the (SoE) tracks live'.

Not sure if that means recording/re-writing 'live-style' versions of the songs, or essentially just rehearsing them... but i'd imagine the presence of Lillywhite, Jacknife Lee, and now Ryan tedder suggests the former.

Anyway, there have been rumours now both of South America JT tour dates, and also of new I&E dates being announced. Fingers crossed the latter happens, because 2017 is a write-off for new material if they're touring the Joshua Tree in the autumn.

Unfortunately, it does kind of make more sense that what we'll see is an extension of the JT tour. It has the immediate selling point of u2's biggest album, and is already designed for stadiums, which SA has, whilst I&E was designed for arenas, which (correct me if i'm wrong) aren't as plentiful in that region. Plus they'll have the momentum and practice of 20-odd JT shows, so it would be more effortless to expand that than to introduce a new-old show.

I feared this a while back, but what I think we'll see is more JT tour legs in the autumn, with SoE in stasis for so long that it's no longer fresh, the band decides to write some more and it just morphs into a new album released fall '18 or '19.

Having said that, i do find it weird that they would commit to a month in the studio with SoE (when they could be rehearsing for their imminent stadium tour) and doing a photo/video shoot with the person who shot videos for the making of Invisible and SoI, if they're deciding to extend said tour to fill up the rest of the year, essentially pushing SoE out of the way.

So hopefully the JT tour extension rumour stays just a rumour (i'm aware it's a bit selfish me saying that at the expense of fans in SA, but I'm just more interested in new material).

they wouldn't be rehearsing for a tour in a studio with producers. Even in the U2 world that would be a new level of nonsense.

sure they would. you record the rehearsals so you can listen back to them afterwards, of course. you need people in the control room to do the actual recording. and we know they're going to need to make some adjustments with the song arrangements from JT in order to perform them successfully live now.

surely it's beneficial to have a well-known and talented producer there who knows how you work in the studio and can offer their opinions and advice on the new arrangements or experiment with mixes and such, than some lowly engineer tech flunky who's only there to press play and stop on the recording. and it also allows them to work on SOE material at the same time if the mood or inspiration strikes. those two things certainly aren't mutually exclusive. it's not like U2 doesn't have the money to have tedder in the studio for a few days for tour rehearsals, and i would imagine if he doesn't have anything else going on, he has no reason not to accept.

it's far from nonsense. it would make less sense if they were there without a producer, actually.

Jackknife Lee, Ryan Tedder and Steve Lillywhite are not in the studio with them to help with tour rehearsals...

how do you know this with such apparent absolute certainty?

Well, not an absolute certainty. But Lee, and Lillywhite have been noted as working on SOE, and I really don't think Tedder would be involved with JT rehearsals.
It's all very odd. I could see them doing a month of heavy work on SOE to get it ready, so they can turn their full attention to rehearsals next month.
Who knows though. Nothing is certain

how do you know this with such apparent absolute certainty?

Because the songs they need to rehearse for the tour have been released for 30 years. This isn't new material that they need their producers from their most recent album to help advise on live arrangements for (although RHMT hasn't been played live, they presumably have a new version or arrangement to perform to in the form of the 30th anniversary remix).

Furthermore, they could ask Joe O'Herlihy or one of their recording engineers to record rehearsals and cut them a mix. There is no reason they would involve someone with a much higher pay grade, who are involved at a much more creative level, to help them rehearse.

Back
Top Bottom