SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?
In it's original sequence 70 67.31%
Reversed to build up to Streets 8 7.69%
Shuffled/scattered among the setlist 26 25.00%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2017, 04:00 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:27 AM
And headed straight to the hospital cafeteria.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #62
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:27 AM
Did he smell like freedom? (y/n)

Old 03-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

He planted his demon seed.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:22 PM   #64
New Yorker

Jacknife Lee in studio: https://www.instagram.com/p/BRZXyBwheTX/
Old 03-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #65
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
He planted his demon seed.
he raised a flower of fire
Old 03-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #66
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfave View Post
Old 03-08-2017, 11:59 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth brown View Post
[*]U2 rehearsing Songs Of Experience material to rerecord some songs live in the studio next month with Steve Lillywhite.
[*]New Lillywhite mix of Red Hill Mining Town, featuring new vocals by Bono, due this month.
I haven't been paying attention at all lately but that is the worst U2 news I've read since...I don't know. Maybe the Apple debacle. Lillywhitebread adds nothing to their sound and worse, IMO, subtracts. Maybe that was okay in 1983 but HTDAAB sounds awful and those songs should take him to court for the way they were presented. I'd rather Ryan Tedder produce the entire album. Though in fairness the band has to take some blame for HTDAAB...still, bland and disjointed. The lack of sonic cohesion is stunning. IMO mostly due to rerecording. Ugh. And Red Hill rerecorded with new vocals? I'm not even gonna bother. Bad idea top to bottom. Especially a rumor i saw that theyre gonna add horns. Horns AKA the sounds of Satans bowels. Fuck horns. That all reads like satire from a longtime interference member.

That said, I am excited about TJT being performed (EXIT!!). And even with Lillywhite involved, I remain optimisic SOE will not suck ass.

I just can see it now...like the top two-thirds of SOI and the 'middle three' of NLOTH. People are probaly gonna dislike those Lillywhite tracks the most. Mostly it is about atmospherics. They don't exist with Lillywhite. So if its Vertigo, fine. But who wants more 'direct rockers' from U2? I want atmospherics if nothing else. Their batting average on rockers ain't great over the last 20 odd years.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:48 AM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna Run 2 U View Post
The band redoing RHMT is part damage control and part promotion for the tour. Bono's voice doesn't compare to that era (he can't sing like that anymore and he knows it) and it was a popular song that still gets rotation here and there on the old rock stations.
Bono couldn't even sing like that then, hence RHMT wasn't a single.

Red Hill, along with Streets and One Tree Hill is one of my favourites from the album and a constant in my all time U2 top 10.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:50 AM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
I haven't been paying attention at all lately but that is the worst U2 news I've read since...I don't know. Maybe the Apple debacle. Lillywhitebread adds nothing to their sound and worse, IMO, subtracts. Maybe that was okay in 1983 but HTDAAB sounds awful and those songs should take him to court for the way they were presented. I'd rather Ryan Tedder produce the entire album. Though in fairness the band has to take some blame for HTDAAB...still, bland and disjointed. The lack of sonic cohesion is stunning. IMO mostly due to rerecording. Ugh. And Red Hill rerecorded with new vocals? I'm not even gonna bother. Bad idea top to bottom. Especially a rumor i saw that theyre gonna add horns. Horns AKA the sounds of Satans bowels. Fuck horns. That all reads like satire from a longtime interference member.

That said, I am excited about TJT being performed (EXIT!!). And even with Lillywhite involved, I remain optimisic SOE will not suck ass.

I just can see it now...like the top two-thirds of SOI and the 'middle three' of NLOTH. People are probaly gonna dislike those Lillywhite tracks the most. Mostly it is about atmospherics. They don't exist with Lillywhite. So if its Vertigo, fine. But who wants more 'direct rockers' from U2? I want atmospherics if nothing else. Their batting average on rockers ain't great over the last 20 odd years.
I agree, their batting average on atmospheric songs is seriously high.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:28 AM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:27 PM
Quote:
And Red Hill rerecorded with new vocals? I'm not even gonna bother. Bad idea top to bottom. Especially a rumor i saw that theyre gonna add horns. Horns AKA the sounds of Satans bowels. Fuck horns. That all reads like satire from a longtime interference member.
The brass band was recorded back in 1987 but ended up very low (well, completely buried) in the original mix. You never know it might be great!
Old 03-09-2017, 08:56 AM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:27 AM
Quote:
Mostly it is about atmospherics. They don't exist with Lillywhite. So if its Vertigo, fine. But who wants more 'direct rockers' from U2? I want atmospherics if nothing else. Their batting average on rockers ain't great over the last 20 odd years.
ehh I dunno..

An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, The Ocean, October, Scarlet, Surrender, Drowning Man, 40, Endless Deep..

I wouldn't blame Lillywhite if we get an album full of crap

If the band want a big rock song, they'll tell him. If they want a modern, glossy sounding pop song, they'll tell him
Old 03-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Yeah, people need to realize that the producers are only there to help... U2 are the ones writing the songs. Despite what they say, every U2 album (including POP) came out exactly the way they wanted it to.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #73
Refugee

Local Time: 05:27 AM
U2 rely heavily on the producers though. Ultimately it depends upon the material they bring, but they rely on the producer for composition advice and contributions. Jacknife Lee's involvement is not encouraging. Why the fuck can't they just stick to one producer, or one team? Their hodepodges never work.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
U2 rely heavily on the producers though. Ultimately it depends upon the material they bring, but they rely on the producer for composition advice and contributions. Jacknife Lee's involvement is not encouraging. Why the fuck can't they just stick to one producer, or one team? Their hodepodges never work.
So true. I hope they got a lot done with the more interesting producers early on, and now it's more tweaking.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:27 AM
Quote:
I don't exactly think they should be a full-time ambient band anytime soon, but these days, I find myself more willing to wait until the finished product before judging anything really. Aside from that, Jacknife has done good work with other bands in the past, and while I don't come back to HTDAAB too often these days, it's not exactly my least favorite record by this band either.

In terms of the "top two-third of SOI" argument, I've mentioned the I–V–vi–IV chords on here a few times before. And I just realized the other day that Song for Someone uses that as well. So that makes the first four SOI songs and Volcano that use it to some extent, and it makes me wonder if people who aren't feeling those songs might be for the sake that it uses something you might here in half of the commercial songs or singles today. Anyways, thought that was interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
So true. I hope they got a lot done with the more interesting producers early on, and now it's more tweaking.
Maybe it's just me and my recent bouts with (probably not so good) songwriting, but 'tweaking' isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world. I don't think it justifies delaying a new record for 4-5 years again, but you're your own worst critic and if something doesn't sound right, you're either not going to release it or do something different until it does. We only get brief glimpses into their songwriting process over the years (and maybe that's part of the problem for us and our expectations, haha). But they did something right last time by playing around with different keys on certain songs, and many people liked the final version of The Troubles as a result. And until we actually do here "early" final versions of NLOTH or SOI songs, if ever, then it's hard for me to think that working on something for a few months and never touching it again is always the best decision.