SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?

• Total voters
If they had to delay SOE in order to rewrite/update in light of the US presidential election, what will happen when said president is impeached/removed from office? Rewrite the rewrites?

They should hurry up and get out whatever they got. This presidency could end soon.

ETA - I love TLTTGYA. Looking forward to SOE whenever it comes. That song is a promising intro to SOE (more so than Introduction to Songs of Experience).

If they had to delay SOE in order to rewrite/update in light of the US presidential election, what will happen when said president is impeached/removed from office? Rewrite the rewrites?

They should hurry up and get out whatever they got. This presidency could end soon.
Just do remaster.

I get how U2 do multiple versions of songs because the technology allows them to and also because they change with repeated live playing.

I played the new song to people who generally like u2 that have listened since boy and those that are impartial to u2 to get some perspective outside of our big fandom and the consensus was "that sounds like something they wrote in 5 minutes" or "sounds like they're running out of ideas". Not to say their opinions matter to my enjoyment but thought it was interesting that maybe this new tune isn't better than everything on SOI or in 10 years which I've seen people suggest already.

Last edited:
I played the new song to people who generally like u2 that have listened since boy and those that are impartial to u2 to get some perspective outside of our big fandom and the consensus was "that sounds like something they wrote in 5 minutes" or "sounds like they're running out of ideas". Not to say their opinions matter to my enjoyment but thought it was interesting that maybe this new tune isn't better than everything on SOI or in 10 years which I've seen people suggest already.

I'm not sure I get the love either. I heard it live last night in Seattle and it was pretty bland. If this is what they are thinking will light the world afire, I think they're going to be disappointed.

I'm not sure I get the love either. I heard it live last night in Seattle and it was pretty bland. If this is what they are thinking will light the world afire, I think they're going to be disappointed.
They should rename it 'The Little album that you Give Away'

I think it's a nice song. Don't think it's intended to be earth shattering.

Sounds like a mid or late (sequence) album track anyway, I'd guess. I don't smell stronger single material there. Runs about 6 minutes, right?

And if the album is maybe a year away, then that would be expected IMO. If it's a middling song on SOE, that's a good sign. If it's supposed to be bigger, maybe not.

That said, they screwed up the whole Invisible situation. Maybe the best song of the whole SOI bunch, squandered impact on that album. Bonus fucking track. pretty dumb mistake there...so not sure my reasoning will mean anything. I dig Little Things enough. And this tour is exciting enough, I am very forgiving these days. Been a long time since it felt like U2 threw a bone at me and fans like me. This tour is a fangasm for me.

Bono wrote some good lyrics at the very least.

Last edited:
I think it's a nice song. Don't think it's intended to be earth shattering.

Sounds like a mid or late (sequence) album track anyway, I'd guess. I don't smell stronger single material there. Runs about 6 minutes, right?

And if the album is maybe a year away, then that would be expected IMO. If it's a middling song on SOE, that's a good sign. If it's supposed to be bigger, maybe not.

That said, they screwed up the whole Invisible situation. Maybe the best song of the whole SOI bunch, squandered impact on that album. Bonus fucking track. pretty dumb mistake there...so not sure my reasoning will mean anything. I dig Little Things enough. And this tour is exciting enough, I am very forgiving these days. Been a long time since it felt like U2 threw a bone at me and fans like me. This tour is a fangasm for me.

Bono wrote some good lyrics at the very least.

You could be right. The lyrics do look intriguing. And I also really prefer knowing a song when I hear it live. So that did not help. We'll see.

The show overall was a bit of a disappointment so that certainly colored my mood when they pulled out the new track.

I haven't listened to it yet and am waiting for the show on Saturday, but I doubt they would debut a song that was merely a "late sequence album track" or something not even under consideration for a single.

Wouldn't you put your best foot forward if you're trying to show all the people at this tour you're still doing relevant, exciting work?

Finally listened to the song today. I like it. It's refelctive, somber, and heavy, yet fairly reserved. I think the chorus with the piano is a bit clunky, but the build towards the end is really great. I like that they're playing it live, even though I don't think it should come after MS. It's a potent reminder that they aren't the band they were for the 30 year old album they are celebrating, but are continuing to actively move their career forward. It's an interesting and bold choice, but one j commend them for. It would be easy to trot out The Best Thing as that is easily recognizable and catchy, but this song fits thematically with the show and this point in their career.

It definitely shouldn't be the final song, though. 40 or something else should follow it. You shouldn't end on a new song.

I don't think 'The Little Things' is as strong as, say, Beautiful Day in terms of a bold new lead single, but I don't think it's trying to be. I highly doubt U2 chose their strongest song from SoE.

Firstly, given the placement of the song in the setlist, closing the show and among a more sombre vibe with One and Miss Sarajevo, they likely prioritised selecting a tune that matched the tone they were going for (reflective, a tad downbeat), more than anything else.

Secondly, and I think this is quite important, this is basically not the time to release a lead single. Even if the album is "basically done" as Bono puts it, they likely won't release it until the autumn, when this current tour is done. And I'd bet they'll want the lead single to be pretty fresh when it's officially launched with an album announcement, rather than something they've been playing for 4-6 months (I know Kygo performed 'The Best Thing' way back last year, but that was a remix, and the song has likely changed a lot since then anyway).

Whatever the strongest tune on SoE is, they probably want to release it alongside the album announcement, at least a few months from now. I would've been surprised if they had debuted a lead single last week, unless they were intending to release SoE during the JT tour.

I haven't listened to it yet and am waiting for the show on Saturday, but I doubt they would debut a song that was merely a "late sequence album track" or something not even under consideration for a single.

Wouldn't you put your best foot forward if you're trying to show all the people at this tour you're still doing relevant, exciting work?
Usually yes,but this us U2. It's probably just the easiest song to play live.

I think it's obvious this song is not meant to explode and get everyone excited about SOE, it's more like what Troubles was to SOI. I think Best Thing in its non-remixed form will probably be the big intro single. I think this was played to let people know they're still making new music and because it fit their closing narrative.

ETA - I love TLTTGYA. Looking forward to SOE whenever it comes. That song is a promising intro to SOE (more so than Introduction to Songs of Experience).

Billboard: After Impeachment New U2 Album Delayed Again To Rewrite Songs Rewritten About Trump; Band To Embark On Tour Of US Olive Gardens In Honor Of 23rd Anniversary Of Passengers

Meh, if the new album is on hold until 2018 oh well. That's the usual time frame now with them and their releases anyway.
Another 'delay'??? Pfffffffff.....
I say call it quits after this tour. Or... don't tour for 10 years and bring on a lot of music!

Wouldn't it be a bit too early in the year to already be pushing the album back into 2018? If it was september/october and they decided it needed more work, that would make sense... but mid-may?

If it's "basically done", there can't be much to do after the JT tour ends at the beginning of august, leaving almost half of 2017 to get it out.

I think either the journalists are making assumptions, the band is being coy, or they're still considering extending the JT tour.

But as of now, autumn 2017 still seems a safe bet to me.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that TLTTGYA will be dropped at some point and they close with "40". (or dare i say "Walk On".

Ending a show with the warhorse "One" and then MS which not may people at the show know and then a mid tempo/slow completely unknown song, isn't going to fly in the long run.

They somewhat redeemed themselves by playing IWF in Seattle.

I'm not sure how much stock you can put in an article saying the album is "due out next year". I think that may be more of an assumption since they are in a current tour, but the band could very well have everything planned for a late fall release.

As for Little Things. The hard part is knowing if this is how the song actually is in the studio version, or if they are doing a more stripped down, EBW type version of the song.
I have to admit, it's a bit of a long song to be debuting in front of a stadium crowd. It's a great album track, some of the best lyrics from Bono on a while, and actually has gotten stuck in my head the next day. All good. A more full studio version could be pretty amazing.

Back
Top Bottom