SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?

• Total voters
I too am a bit surprised at the lack of hype around the new song and potentially the new album cover. I guess it's Saturday and people are out doing shit. The rest of us are trapped in the misery.

I like the new song a lot. When i listened to the words... "waking up at 4am", "wondering if the end is near"... being the last song ... it sounds like it's bono realizing that the end is near for u2 staying on top ... sent chills down my spine

I like the new song a lot. When i listened to the words... "waking up at 4am", "wondering if the end is near"... being the last song ... it sounds like it's bono realizing that the end is near for u2 staying on top ... sent chills down my spine

I heard it more as a song about depression to be fair

I interpreted it the same way.

That's what I though.

I heard it more as a song about depression to be fair

"I’m full of anger and grieving
So far away from believing
That any song will reappear
Sometimes
The end isn’t coming
It’s not coming
The end is here
Sometimes"

I could easily see this being a self-reflection and how frustrating it can be to have the creative juices diminish.

Don't think it's worth us reading to much into it, could be about anything and the band have been speaking about the future

Sometimes

The end isn’t coming

It’s not coming

The end is here

Sometimes"

I could easily see this being a self-reflection and how frustrating it can be to have the creative juices diminish.

The lyric about waking up at 4am said more to me

Honestly, I think the whole song is about coming to terms with the fact that he is losing his talent, or at least with the insecurity he has about it:

The night gave you a song
A light had been turned on
You walked out into the world like you belonged there

Ideas flowed in the early days, it seemed like every morning he'd wake up with new ideas, and they carried him to the point where he had the confidence to dream big.

As easy as a breeze
Each heart was yours to please
Is it only me who thinks there's something wrong here?

Again, it was simple, and it touched a lot of people (and possibly a nod to his status as a sex symbol in the 80s), but now he is starting to realise things aren't the same.

It's the little things that give you away
The words you cannot say
Your big mouth in the way

There are signs he just can't hide, the words aren't coming, and his ego is overshadowing his art.

It's the little things that tease and betray
Has the hunter now become the prey
It's the little things, the little things that give you away

He thinks he finds something good, only to find it isn't, he used to feel like he could chase things, now public opinion has turned and they are chasing him.

I saw you on the stairs
You didn't notice I was there
That's cos you were busy talking at me
Not to me
You were high above the storm
A hurricane being born
But this freedom, it might cost you your liberty

He tried to preach and push through, and he wasn't humble enough to accept and embrace it. It felt freeing to write like he did in the 2000s, but it doesn't feel right.

Sometimes
I can't believe my existence
I see myself from a distance
And I can't get back inside

He now feels so doubtful that he can't believe he became famous, and when he does step outside to self-reflect he can't see how he can get back there

Sometimes
The air is so anxious
All my tasks are so thankless
And all my innocence has died

It's hurting him, and it is stressing him out - the reception to the last few albums has been bad, and he feels he can't tap into what made the early days so special.

Sometimes
I wake at four in the morning
Where all the darkness is swarming
And it covers me in fear

He used to wake up and hear songs (see above), but now it is just darkness and fear.

Sometimes
I'm full of anger and grieving

The night gave him a song, and now he is angry and has no faith that it will come back to him.

Sometimes
The end isn't coming
It's not coming
The end is here.

I think this is a clever line about the fact that they can't finish an album. It's saying the see no 'end' coming, meaning completion of an idea - they have to work so much harder than they used to, and the 'end' is here is him realising it might be over.

Sometimes

The end isn’t coming

It’s not coming

The end is here

Sometimes"

Exactly what I hear as well.... they've wanted nothing more than another 'beautiful day' or 'vertigo' to bring them back to life on the radio and stay relevant ... it's a self reflection that the end is near. No matter how good the song ...their time with new fans caring about their new songs has passed... a anniversary tour is a last ditch effort to get people to remember why they like them so much before giving it a last try with SOE. There is no reason Invisible, EBW, Ordinary Love, Magnificent and SFS weren't big hits ... especially invisible... no matter how good, no matter how much promotion (apple launch/commercial, super bowl red commercial with Bank of America, movie based on Nelson Mandela)... they will never be big as cold play in the present time or get the radio play on the top 40... they've been trying too hard to get back there ... the end is near for new stuff and Bono and the boys are grieving.... it's why he is waking up at 4am... they've been the biggest for so long and it scares the crap out of him realizing/accepting that .... Frankly, when I heard the 'best Thing' I was sure they scored a huge hit ... they got cold feet on releasing it and now 'kygo' has done a number of such mixes with others ... Selena Gomez's new pop single with Kygo is really good ... u2 coming out with one now seems tacky ? Still love the song and hope they stop overthinking it and just put it out there rather than continuously testing the market. That song is amazing and the new generation will love it without knowing its u2.

Last edited:
I've been a loud critic of Bono's writing post-2000, but I really like this one a lot.

You know what I love? The ambiguity in the lyrics again. The thing with the writing on Pop onwards is that it just felt a little obvious. Sure, there were flirtations with heavy lyrics and the odd allegories we know and love, but only on SOI's final few songs did he really get into that even a little. This has been mentioned before, but all of their best albums in my opinion are marked by a sense of universality and a need to keep digging. Achtung and Zooropa are perhaps the best examples of this, but JT and TUF are up there too.

The ambiguity is clsssic U2. RTSS could be about two junkies (it is), but it also could be about a dead end relationship, a dying town, or youth. This could be, as mentioned above, a piercingly introspective track about realizing the limits of one's powers or talents before the end of the game. It could be about lies told under the guise of promise. The fact that those meanings are possible within a song, along with several more, is what made me fall in love with this band, and that is what has me hoping this is a sign of things to come.

I am hopeful. This is a small sample, of course, but I am hopeful. If they could do this, along with a boppy track or two, a few heavier things, and a bunch of lyrics in between that paint in shades of gray, they could be on to something.

Last edited:
The best U2 songs for me are the ones I first hear and go, meh....and then after a few more listens it grows. So basically U2 is a grower, not a show'r

Now the clips online aren't the best, but I do like the darker vibe to it. I love the piano, and while the build up at the end isnt the best Edge solo ever, I do think it leaves a lot of room for him to improvise and add on or take away.

Hope the album has a darker feel, with a bit of atmospherics thrown in. Is it their best? Dunno, again first time I heard it, meh...second time...alright, 3rd time felt better. Edge piano chords do it

Considering the dimensions of the video screen, the fact that that image is a perfect square, like album art is, is probably as good a reason as any to think that's the album art. That and U2's tendency to put a frame around their album images.

I really like the Little Things..:.it has a sad and understated grandeur to it and I can see the studio version being epic and goose bump inducing. It's like a mid-life crises Bad. Sure, nothing innovative about Edge's solo but at least there is ambition to write the big emotional songs again. It's what they do best.

I'm actually happy he didn't use a slide for the solo. The rhythm section at the end can definitely lead towards some improv

I think this is one of the best songs they have made for 10 years. Lyrically it's very haunting and bittersweet. The artwork looks very much like a SINGLE artwork. Considering there was rumours of a new single looming, this could very well be it.

Pains me to say it but I also got "break up" vibes from this, especially in the last two minutes. As great as it was, the moment when they joined together and looked solemn, accompanied by "the end is here" make me think that maybe they could be ready to say farewell.

I hope I am incorrect on that, maybe it could mean that the end to the wait for SOE is here :)

I am slightly surprised no one on interference has picked up on that yet, we must just be a serious bunch over on the other forums haha :wink:

I really like the Little Things..:.it has a sad and understated grandeur to it and I can see the studio version being epic and goose bump inducing. It's like a mid-life crises Bad. Sure, nothing innovative about Edge's solo but at least there is ambition to write the big emotional songs again. It's what they do best.

Interference's ongoing obsession with U2 being 'innovative' is pretty odd to be honest.

The song has two key assets:
1. The build. Really, the build. They learned that the best part of U2 songs like this are the builds.
2. The dark/complex lyrics. I've listened to it a few times and I'm looking forward to more.

Beautifully chilling song. I really like it but I'll reserve judgement for seeing it on 6/29 and hearing the album version.

I definitely am hearing the word "Innocence" clearly throughout the song. Lyrics definitely not sounding anything like what Bono was quoting for Little Things...
My first thought after hearing the drum was Portishead and Trip Hop

Great write-up on those lyrics, Dan. Really personal and painful stuff, probably took a lot for Bono to out those words on paper.

If Songs of Experience is going to be it, then that kind of tone hopefully gets thrown in with some jubilation as well. And considering we've already heard The Best Thing that seems likely.

Ending with a brand new song whose lyrics say "the end is near" is pretty bold, I'll definitely give them credit for that.

Do they drop SOE at the end of this year, tour that for a while, and then do one final massive worldwide goodbye tour? Is Songs of Ascent (lol) still a thing?? My mind is racing now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom