SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?

• Total voters
OK, this might not be a popular opinion, but why are they rehearsing new songs which haven't been released? There's nothing more certain to kill the atmosphere at a gig than a band playing a new song which the vast majority of the crowd don't know. And you can multiply that certainty by a huge factor given the nature of these shows given a lot of people going who are only going because of the nostalgia element.

I really really want to get new music from the band, but if they try and fudge the JT and new music thing, I can see the poor reaction and inevitable reviews a mile-off.

Beats me. If they're confident enough to play new stuff live, they ought to be confident enough to release the album. JT30 crowd won't care about new songs however hard some people are selling it.

Also...at this sound quality and from what I'm hearing, what are we going crazy about ? This sounds like U2 by numbers which afaik is not desirable.

it sucks too because I do think it is one of the stronger songs on the album, but it absolutely did not work live.

and i'd really like to think this has been the reason for the delay of SOE -- that they want to find a way for the songs to work live, especially the singles.

i'd also like to think that had EBW been released in 1995, it would have been a smash for them. plus that video/movie was pretty awesome. it's a great, epic, potential classic ... that they couldn't find a way to play live, so they went Full Adele in order to play it live and they pushed that version to radio/internet/whatever so audiences would be familiar with the changes needed for the live setting.

anyway, TLTYGA sounds (potentially) great.

It's pointed out on another forum that you can hear lyrics from this Instagram post in the youtube clip.

Sometimes
The end is not coming
The end is not coming
The end is here

At 1:35 you can hear it:

You can definitely hear "The little things that give you away" in other recordings, so maybe lyrics from that instagram post were used for the final part of the song alongside what we were given by Bono in that january interview.

Ehh, the failed Unknown Caller singalong definitely took the air out of the show, and closing with a long, heavy track like Moment of Surrender that wasn't even given a chance as a single didn't exactly end the show on a great note.

But I agree with your general sentiment. A new upcoming single after the JT set would be a perfect move.
Move

Sorry, by "new songs" I meant the unreleased stuff played in 2010-11, not the NLOTH songs, i.e. an analogy for ascender_RS's doubts whether a new song will work on this tour. Totally agree with Unknown Caller being a right old dud, Breathe was a shitty opener, and Moment of Surrender a snooze. I stuck around in the hope something unexpected would follow, but I wasn't lucky enough to be at the few shows where that happened. The new stuff on 360 was slotted well into the setlist and elicited some interest from the crowd; sure the place was more flat than for the obvious hits, but I'm not sure Mercy or North Star or EBW did any worse than In a fucking Little While or NLOTH songs.

I do not, for the record, buy for a minute this theory the new song U2 have just rehearsed will close the show. But then I also don't see ASOH as an opener. I see it as a segue into Streets.

Beats me. If they're confident enough to play new stuff live, they ought to be confident enough to release the album. JT30 crowd won't care about new songs however hard some people are selling it.

Also...at this sound quality and from what I'm hearing, what are we going crazy about ? This sounds like U2 by numbers which afaik is not desirable.

?

EBW ... that they couldn't find a way to play live, so they went Full Adele in order to play it live .

Which is a scary thought since its not exactly the most musically complex composition.

I honestly think its more about Larry needing a break during a show and what songs they choose to do that with. And for some reason they think these Bongo and Egg acoustic/piano versions resonate with audiences, when in fact its just the opposite,

Very odd wording. Since the JT anniversary edition already came out, I can't see how there is another package... And since the first show is in a week... Not sure how the single release is going to fit into that time frame. Grrrrrr... Me Want NOW!

Update. Sorry, i just realized the JT reissue comes out at the beginning of June. So I guess that could be what he's referring too. interesting, and still a long wait.

Last edited:
Last edited:
If they can bring even 1/4 of the talent and energy of 21 Pilots I may stick with them.

Back
Top Bottom