SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?

• Total voters
Just saw Edge posted a video on the u2 Facebook page titled 'NYC Red Flag'. It's just him filming a red plastic bag flying through the air (very 'American Beauty', I know), but what struck me is that there's a song on SoE called Red Flag Day. :hmm:

Maybe that's one of the tunes they're cutting live at Electric Lady Studios.

(Of course it could be nothing, but that title sure seems deliberate)

ha i just saw it - thought it was quite poetic :lol:

I would like to hang out with Mike Mills.

I have a friend that sat with him on a flight from Atlanta Georgia to Wilmington North Carolina back in 2010.

Also, just got an E-mail from u2.com that U2 will be available on Thursday on facebook to answer any questions anyone has of them.

Last edited:
Mike Mills played twice* at the venue (300 cap. club) that I used to work at. He was by far the most successful musician to ever play that room, and also one of the most humble. He rules.

*once with his band The Baseball Project and once with a dude whose name I can't place right now. He was kinda out there, and Live painted during his own set. It was him, Mike Mills and a guy who used to play drums with the Black Crowes.

I have a friend that sat with him on a flight from Atlanta Georgia to Wilmington North Carolina back in 2010.

Also, just got an E-mail from u2.com that U2 will be available on Thursday on facebook to answer any questions anyone has of them.
That must have been one hell of a conversation.

Hey, you're Mike Mil...

RHMT ( 2017 version) will be released on 9th March ( from a reliable source not very distant to Bono's family ).

Makes the most sense for it to come out tomorrow. It's the exact anniversary of TJT, and they're doing that Facebook Q&A as well.

Only thing that doesn't add up is that Chris Evans said Bono was going to 'hand deliver a new u2 song' (presumably RHMT), and the BBC studio is in London, whereas the band are (I think) all in New York, where they're doing the Q&A from a studio.

I really don't understand why they're releasing a new version of RHMT. It's perverse. Bono's voice is still good, but why in God's name would they beg a comparison between his current, weaker voice and the peak of his strength? And do they think anyone is going to listen to it more than a couple of times? It's like that remake of the Magnificent Seven...yeah, already forgot about that, didn't you?

Isn't there anything else that they could have been doing other than redoing the vocals for an old song that doesn't need updating? Like, oh finishing the new album? Or literally anything else? This is one of the strangest bands.

The band redoing RHMT is part damage control and part promotion for the tour. Bono's voice doesn't compare to that era (he can't sing like that anymore and he knows it) and it was a popular song that still gets rotation here and there on the old rock stations.

would make more sense to add a new, finished vocal to Deep In The Heart. Then they could market it like Sweetest Thing. TJT bside, finally finished!!

would make more sense to add a new, finished vocal to Deep In The Heart. Then they could market it like Sweetest Thing. TJT bside, finally finished!!

Disappearing Act, Chapter 2 then?

The band redoing RHMT is part damage control and part promotion for the tour. Bono's voice doesn't compare to that era (he can't sing like that anymore and he knows it) and it was a popular song that still gets rotation here and there on the old rock stations.

Yep. And that's fine. Do a new version that some fans might like and will prepare for whatever version they do that gives his vocals some leeway live. Nobody gets hurt.

If anything it'll probably be an "On This Day" mention of The Joshua Tree's release or Featured Article in celebration of it's 30 years anniversary.

Back
Top Bottom