SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?

• Total voters
99% this is the RHMT remix, since record store day is the 22nd, it pretty much has to be that.

Still odd they would call it a single when its just a limited RSD release...

THE ALBUM IZZZZ COMINGGGGG!!!!!!

RHMT remix, just no other thing makes sense.

This is probably going to end up being the "big comeback" record of their career...or the LP that pretty much ends it. They hit their nadir critically with both music journalists and fans given the weak reception to Songs of Innocence. U2 often talks about there needing to be a reason to get people to buy another U2 album and SOI didn't deliver that whatsoever (but at least it was free!).

They were still a very successful band with Rattle & Hum/Pop, even if it led to disappointment to the band due to their own high standards. But now they're at a point of questioning their own existence, and if they want to keep giving us middle-of-the-road releases like SOI, then it's probably time to close up the shop.

It's no longer about Being The Biggest Band In The World. Their back catalog and live show will keep the profits rolling in. It's about being relevant. Something they haven't been with their new music since 2004.

This is probably going to end up being the "big comeback" record of their career...or the LP that pretty much ends it. They hit their nadir critically with both music journalists and fans given the weak reception to Songs of Innocence. U2 often talks about there needing to be a reason to get people to buy another U2 album and SOI didn't deliver that whatsoever (but at least it was free!).

They were still a very successful band with Rattle & Hum/Pop, even if it led to disappointment to the band due to their own high standards. But now they're at a point of questioning their own existence, and if they want to keep giving us middle-of-the-road releases like SOI, then it's probably time to close up the shop.

It's no longer about Being The Biggest Band In The World. Their back catalog and live show will keep the profits rolling in. It's about being relevant. Something they haven't been with their new music since 2004.
Meh, I'm not sure it will matter either way tbh. At this point it's new music for their fans and a reason for them to hit the road where they sell every show out and rake in the dough. Not sure if the reception of the album will be "make or break".

And are we so sure this is just "Red Hill Mining Town?" I won't get my hopes up but it would be smart of them to drop something new right now... they are riding a small wave of positive publicity after their Kendrick Lamar feature.

Yeah to be honest i don't believe this will be a brand new song. With everything happening regarding RHMT. It surely must be that, but i'd love to be pleasantly surprised when I tune into this in the morning!

Yeah this will be RHMT for sure. Its RSD this weekend.... will get some promo behind it.

Also this is the kinda pic that makes me realise how much Bono has aged in the last couple of years more than anything else... :/

Yep.... Chris just said Bono will be on in 5mins to talk about something you can buy this Saturday for RSD...... yawn

Bono did say that the album will be played in sequence.

Basically, guarantees it at this point. It will be nice to have that opening trio in the middle of the set as it will really wow the audience, but I'm definitely concerned of heading towards the encore with One Tree Hill-Exit-Mothers of the Disappeared. Really think a lot of the casual audience is just going to zone out and try and buy a hot-dog during that.

Bullet-Running-Red-God's are all lively, big numbers, while Trip Through Your Wires will switch the tone a bit like performing Desire on the B-stage at the last tour. I have no doubt that the audience will dig all of that.

But then we're talking a mid-tempo number, a loud-quiet dynamic song that is mostly focused on atmospherics and then a track that's kind of an extended "40" without any real highs for most people. I mean, sure, they can get them back with the encore, but this trio is probably going to be the most difficult to pull off and keep the audience's attention that they've potentially ever tried, particularly as they'll be coming as late as two hours into the set. Never underestimate how many casual U2 fans will attend their live shows, especially stadium ones that will barely know these deeper album cuts, if at all.

I think they'll be OK. It's The Joshua Tree they are playing. Crowd will be pretty familiar. And I don't think too many will zone out during One Tree Hill or Exit. It's not like they're playing Your Blue Room or Miss Sarajevo in a stadium...

I think they'll be OK. It's The Joshua Tree they are playing. Crowd will be pretty familiar. And I don't think too many will zone out during One Tree Hill or Exit. It's not like they're playing Your Blue Room or Miss Sarajevo in a stadium...

Agreed. The Joshua Tree sold 25M+ copies. I think we're underestimating casual fans' familiarity with the album's B-Side.

I have a strong feeling that overall, outside the real fan base, the b sides will get the same tepid reaction from the crowd as when lesser known songs on a new album do. The Joshua Tree was a huge album 30 years ago but the songs the casuals know are the singles and to a lesser extent Bullet.

There was no need to touch RHMT other than having a reason to push it out in advance of the tour to give the casuals another familiar song midway through. It is long and mid tempo and would get no better reaction than YBR.

I imagine they'll do something dynamic with the lesser known songs to keep people interested.

Exit can kick ass without any help but 3 or 4 songs will need some theatrics. No way in hell can they play In God's Country acoustic coming out of RHMT.

Never underestimate how many casual U2 fans will attend their live shows, especially stadium ones that will barely know these deeper album cuts, if at all.

That's the case for just about every band out there though, whether they're touring in a stadium, arena or whatever venue. And like Superchuk said, a lot of those songs have the potential to be known by more than just people like us, based on how many people owned or heard the album at one point or another. Even one of my friends, who probably hasn't bought an album of theirs in years I think, said she would look forward to hearing Exit the most if she ended up going. So I don't think stuff like the final three songs will end up being too bad. When Springsteen played The River, he was closing with stuff like Wreck on the Highway and Drive All Night and it turned out fine. In comparison to these finals songs, I think U2 will be plenty okay.

Other acts have played their albums in sequence before, whether it was a huge album or not. If people don't know every song by heart, it's just part of the territory. And the end of the day, all we'll probably ask is that the live performances stand up. More people than not will probably be judging it by that, ultimately.

I have a strong feeling that overall, outside the real fan base, the b sides will get the same tepid reaction from the crowd as when lesser known songs on a new album do.

i haven't been paying attention, do we know they are playing JT B-sides?

Or are you referring to 'Side Two' songs like Exit as B-sides?

Agreed. The Joshua Tree sold 25M+ copies. I think we're underestimating casual fans' familiarity with the album's B-Side.

I see. You guys are referring to Side Two as the B-Side. I'm not playing semantics here...just didn't want to get my hopes up for the outside chance to hear Luminous Times. :wave:

A B-side is the flip side of a 45rpm single. like Race Against Time was the B-side on the flip side of the A-side Streets. Later when 45s went away, B-Sides came to generally mean unreleased album tracks.

Back
Top Bottom