SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?

• Total voters
as we continue to wait for SOE, let's listen to Stranded

"not-gonna-LLEAVE you stranded!"

#plentyofhits

Last edited:
So are we all expecting the outdoor Vertigo stage?

I wouldn't be surprised if the JT2017 stage is made from the same parts as the Vertigo stage. We know that it's obviously still around from Dreamforce. So it's likely that they'll use the bones of that stage, with some modifications, and of course a JT shaped b stage.

They used the same basic arena stage for UF, JT, LT, ZOO, Elevation and I&E, so it's not unheard of.

It's going to be a new stage setup akin to the original Joshua Tree staging yet featuring video screens (which they didn't use at all originally in Europe) and a Joshua tree b-stage.

Willie Williams talks about it in this Rolling Stone interview from January: U2's Longtime Stage Designer Talks 'Joshua Tree' Tour - Rolling Stone

I can't remember where, but I also vaguely remember reading they're debuting the largest ever video screen for this tour.

I envision a screen that stretches she length of the end zone, "chevron" shaped... an obtuse angle with the point of the screen pointing towards the crowd, and the JT shaped b stage sticking out from Edge's side.

Question is if they'll have some sort of "inner circle" on this one. Not sure on that one just yet, and don't know if we'll know that until just before the first show

I remember two years ago-beginning of last year there was rumors on this thread about a 2016 Volcano tour and there was also going to be a new single called Tightrope. Nothing happened.

Believe everything you read on the internet.

quarto_gif_i_want_to_believe_by_bfadraw-d8rf5xh.gif

I envision a screen that stretches she length of the end zone, "chevron" shaped... an obtuse angle with the point of the screen pointing towards the crowd, and the JT shaped b stage sticking out from Edge's side.

Question is if they'll have some sort of "inner circle" on this one. Not sure on that one just yet, and don't know if we'll know that until just before the first show

And they're going to come out in stetsons and cowboy boots and commit to carrying on the Rattle and Hum era, because it never had its closing chapter....

Ok Edge, play the blues.

I know it's always unpredictable being a U2 fan but the news this week about that XXX track is bizarre to say the least. Not quite sure how I feel about it, guess I need to hear it to make any judgement

Wonder if U2 will have any "features" on SOE. Could be a trend they will continue with.

"The Troubles" was such a successful collaboration with Lykke Li that they even did not bother to release it as a "Single" ...Why? I don't know .. it's one of the best songs on that album

"The Troubles" was such a successful collaboration with Lykke Li that they even did not bother to release it as a "Single" ...Why? I don't know .. it's one of the best songs on that album

So true. There were so many better ways to kick off SOI than the way they did. The Troubles is my favorite track on the album. I think that if they had led with that as a single, or EBW, and obviously not done the auto load onto iphones like they did, it would have been so different.
If they would have just given a pop up on everyones iphone giving them the option to download it, or to refuse it, and led with a great song like either of
the two mentioned above, it would have been hailed as a triumphant album by the band.

But... they did not. :|

because the first single has to rawwwwwk!

seriously though - what a stupid launch that was.

What sucks is that the actual announcement was amazing. I'll never forget listening to the Apple keynote in my office and dealing with buffering and just waiting for IT to bust in and yell at me for streaming video at work and then boom. The album dropped. We hadn't heard any snippets of songs beforehand so everything was brand new.

And then one minor detail ruined it all. If the album had simply been available for everyone to choose to download on iTunes, then the reviews would have actually been about the music, which was pretty good. I guess we'll never know if it was Apple's fuck up or U2 agreeing to have the album automatically show up in everyone's "purchases".

because the first single has to rawwwwwk!

seriously though - what a stupid launch that was.

It really was. The "idea" was actually pretty great. Delivery straight to your phone for free. But the difference between having it load automatically vs a simple little pop up saying -

Apple is excited to bring you the new album from U2, Songs of Innocence for FREE. Hit "Accept" to begin the free download now, or press "Decline" and you will not see this message again.

That simple distinction was the difference between an extraordinary release of a great album, and a social media joke that launched a boatload of negative reviews that had nothing to do with the music.

God damn it.

The delivery fiasco is all on Apple. They either hadn't considered that people with "automatically download all new purchases" would have the album download to their devices (doubtful), or they underestimated the potential backlash of giving people an album they really didn't ask or care for (more likely, those smug bastards).

The reactions were overblown at the time but it completely overshadowed the release and it really is a shame. The album isn't nearly as bad as the punchline it has.

i still think people were just being ungrateful bastards - it was only a free gift ffs

Tim Cook saying it's good should have made U2 delay the album just to that song could be deleted from the album

the release would have been lame even if the owning the album had been optional. it's laaaame beyond believe to announce an album at an business keynote address. It's as lame as can be. fuck, giving it away was the only thing that made that embarrassing spectacle worthwhile, but I can totally understand why it's the most hated move by a band ever.

Back
Top Bottom