SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?
In it's original sequence 70 67.31%
Reversed to build up to Streets 8 7.69%
Shuffled/scattered among the setlist 26 25.00%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #181
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 19,488
Local Time: 08:35 PM
on adam's valentine's day instagram post, inside the studio there was a clear setlist on the wall showing JT in order along with a few other tracks. they're obviously working on these songs inside the studio somehow.

i'm not suggesting that they're working out stage positioning for streets or that bono is practicing jumping around on a mini-catwalk or anything like that. but i can say from partial experience when you haven't played a song like exit for almost 30 years you effectively have to re-learn it from scratch, in u2's case this is multiplied by four. that takes a long time and having another person there who's talent and work they clearly trust and respect to help them work on the arrangement and the sound is an obvious benefit.

it seems like people in this thread are convinced that they are either working on SOE or rehearsing for the tour, but they can't be doing both so therefore tedder = SOE. i'm saying that's not true, what's stopping them from working on trip through your wires a few times in the morning and then working on a new track for the rest of the day. i'm sure they're paying ryan tedder just the same anyways so i don't see how he would mind working with his friends on something like this all that much. it's not like U2 is on working on a restricted studio budget so i doubt his hourly rate is that much of a concern
__________________

DaveC is offline  
Old 03-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #182
New Yorker
 
Gonna Run 2 U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,740
Local Time: 12:35 AM
SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II

In addition to JT rehearsals, they could be rehearsing SOE material live in the studio as well because they plan on playing some new songs. Didn't Bono and Adam say it was a possibility and they would like to? Why not have the producers who are working on the new album there in the studio? If they really are serious about Songs Of Experience and feel confident in the material I think they should definitely use it as a tie in with part of the JT shows. Celebrate the past and present. It happened during 360 with Every Breaking Wave no reason it can't here.
__________________

Gonna Run 2 U is offline  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:05 PM   #183
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 21,028
Local Time: 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
they wouldn't be rehearsing for a tour in a studio with producers. Even in the U2 world that would be a new level of nonsense.
Exactly.

Why couldn't they spend time working on SOE as much as possible before the tour starts, given the 2017 release plan and in particular their comments about playing SOE material live on JT30 ?
U2girl is offline  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #184
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 62,462
Local Time: 08:35 PM
Any of you geniuses ever think that maybe they're doing both? Recording and rehearsing?

Clearly they wouldn't invite Lillywhite and Tedder in to hear how Exit sounds.

Clearly they would be working on the lesser played Joshua Tree songs.

The fuck?
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #185
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 25,485
Local Time: 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Any of you geniuses ever think that maybe they're doing both? Recording and rehearsing?

Clearly they wouldn't invite Lillywhite and Tedder in to hear how Exit sounds.

Clearly they would be working on the lesser played Joshua Tree songs.

The fuck?
Larry isn't on board with multitasking.
mikal is online now  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:48 PM   #186
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 62,462
Local Time: 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Larry isn't on board with multitasking.
Finally somebody's making sense
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 03-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #187
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,144
Local Time: 10:35 AM
And Bono knows Larry can't pat his head and rub his stomach at the same time.
kabigon is offline  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:25 PM   #188
Refugee
 
DeVaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 1,917
Local Time: 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabigon View Post
And Bono knows Larry can't pat his head and rub his stomach at the same time.
True, they tried to get him to do it for the Numb video and he just couldn't get it.
DeVaul is offline  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #189
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
sure they would. you record the rehearsals so you can listen back to them afterwards, of course. you need people in the control room to do the actual recording. and we know they're going to need to make some adjustments with the song arrangements from JT in order to perform them successfully live now.

surely it's beneficial to have a well-known and talented producer there who knows how you work in the studio and can offer their opinions and advice on the new arrangements or experiment with mixes and such, than some lowly engineer tech flunky who's only there to press play and stop on the recording. and it also allows them to work on SOE material at the same time if the mood or inspiration strikes. those two things certainly aren't mutually exclusive. it's not like U2 doesn't have the money to have tedder in the studio for a few days for tour rehearsals, and i would imagine if he doesn't have anything else going on, he has no reason not to accept.

it's far from nonsense. it would make less sense if they were there without a producer, actually.
It is much closer to nonsense than it isn't.You don't bring in a world renowned producer like Steve Lillywhitebread to record god damned tour rehearsals to check sound. That seems laughable but this is perpetually insecure latter day U2, so who knows. So lets pretend for a second that they might. To bring in a producer to assist in live performance sound, of the army of producers they've worked with, the one that makes the very least sense to do that is the one that is not a musician. Lillywhite. How exactly would he assist that process? Plus, I'm not aware he worked on TJT at all...maybe some mixing if anything.

Or...lets name the producers that sat in with them as they rehearsed ANY of the SOI, 360, Vertigo, Elevation, POPmart, ZooTv tours...besides none. Because, why?

"Would make less sense if they were there without a producer". That all depends on what they're doing. I admit I don't know. But I will tell you this, there is no good reason whatsoever for SL to be there unless they are capturing music to later be mixed and mastered. You admit they could easily afford to bring Tedder in and I'm sure they could get him to do anything they wanted, probably even for free. And he's not just a musician but a songwriter and a successful one that actually performs live. But they go with Lillywhite because why?
U2DMfan is offline  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:54 PM   #190
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 19,488
Local Time: 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
But they go with Lillywhite because why?
because maybe they weren't doing tour rehearsals on the days lillywhite is there. maybe they are. maybe they wait for tedder or maybe they don't. maybe they spend 90% of their time doing SOE and are getting in rehearsals the other 10%. maybe the ratio is different. it doesn't matter because we don't know any of those answers. what we do know for sure is they are working on the JT songs in the studio, one way or another. i don't understand why anyone is arguing that this is impossible when it was effectively proven with adam's setlist post.

good lord, why is it so hard for people to grasp that a group of very busy people with multiple projects and commitments upcoming could be doing several things at the same time?
DaveC is offline  
Old 03-21-2017, 02:19 AM   #191
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 39,708
Local Time: 05:35 PM
You seem to be changing your position. Your original posts were not talking about them doing both at the same time, it was supposing that these producers were there primarily to help with tour rehearsals:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
surely it's beneficial to have a well-known and talented producer there who knows how you work in the studio and can offer their opinions and advice on the new arrangements or experiment with mixes and such, than some lowly engineer tech flunky who's only there to press play and stop on the recording. and it also allows them to work on SOE material at the same time if the mood or inspiration strikes.
"if the mood or inspiration strikes" makes it sound like SOE isn't the main focus of what's going on at the moment. Just because Adam had a setlist with JT songs a month ago doesn't mean they're still working on any new arrangements of old songs. I'm guessing that's all been sorted already. Now they're working on new material, and probably won't be rehearsing the JT songs again until they get to the first venue for the week leading up to opening night.

I have to agree with the others. The notion of any of these notable producers being there for anything other than new material just sounds ridiculous to me.
lazarus is offline  
Old 03-21-2017, 02:56 AM   #192
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
gareth brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,592
Local Time: 11:35 AM
I think they'll have blown the cobwebs off side 2 of the Joshua Tree last month, rehearsed that pretty heavily (along with side one after a while) and right now are focusing on SOE in the studio. Then back to full on live rehearsals in April.

They're in the studio redoing some of the album so it has more of a 4-guys-in-a-room feel to it. (The added bonus is they'll also have a decent idea of how to play the songs live too, unlike iHeartRadio where they'd presumably recorded everything piecemeal and found they couldn't play them on stage!)

Sure they might practice a JT time here and there to break up the monotony of working on the album, but full on JT rehearsals under the watchful eye of Lillywhite/tedder/jacknife? Very unlikely.

You don't book (what I assume is) a pricey recording studio in New York with three producers on the clock to rehearse for a tour.
gareth brown is offline  
Old 03-21-2017, 04:25 AM   #193
Refugee
 
hasin73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangladesh.
Posts: 1,453
Local Time: 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth brown View Post
I think they'll have blown the cobwebs off side 2 of the Joshua Tree last month, rehearsed that pretty heavily (along with side one after a while) and right now are focusing on SOE in the studio. Then back to full on live rehearsals in April.

They're in the studio redoing some of the album so it has more of a 4-guys-in-a-room feel to it. (The added bonus is they'll also have a decent idea of how to play the songs live too, unlike iHeartRadio where they'd presumably recorded everything piecemeal and found they couldn't play them on stage!)

Sure they might practice a JT time here and there to break up the monotony of working on the album, but full on JT rehearsals under the watchful eye of Lillywhite/tedder/jacknife? Very unlikely.

You don't book (what I assume is) a pricey recording studio in New York with three producers on the clock to rehearse for a tour.

hasin73 is offline  
Old 03-21-2017, 04:30 AM   #194
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 13,098
Local Time: 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth brown View Post
You don't book (what I assume is) a pricey recording studio in New York with three producers on the clock to rehearse for a tour.

This is all anyone needs to know


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
dan_smee is online now  
Old 03-21-2017, 06:18 AM   #195
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,167
Local Time: 07:35 PM
Yeah there's a difference between a rehearsal studio and renting out EL with 2 big producers at hand; you don't do that to just rehearse or fool around. Now this is U2, so we all understand the apprehension. But it seems they're still committed to the project.
__________________

BVS is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com