SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?
In it's original sequence 70 67.31%
Reversed to build up to Streets 8 7.69%
Shuffled/scattered among the setlist 26 25.00%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2017, 01:48 PM   #166
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
So you think they're just fooling around in the studio right now?

Yes.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #167
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Yes.

Very unU2 of them. You'd think they'd be lazily getting ready for the tour?

Old 03-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #168
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beal View Post
agree.

They are most likely re-writing the soe songs and morphing into songs of trump
The new album will be a poor old SOT.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #169
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:53 PM
The fact that they're currently in the studio, in NYC with jackknife and Lillywhite instead of getting ready for the tour really leaves me at a loss. If they're not intending on getting SOE out this fall, why work so hard when they have tour rehearsals they could be doing.

I'll still be pleasantly surprised if SOE shows up in 2017, but this does have me scratching my head.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:46 PM   #170
Blue Crack Addict

you guys are aware that you can use a recording studio to rehearse material you've already recorded, right?
Old 03-20-2017, 03:00 PM   #171
Refugee

Local Time: 09:53 AM
they wouldn't be rehearsing for a tour in a studio with producers. Even in the U2 world that would be a new level of nonsense.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #172
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
you guys are aware that you can use a recording studio to rehearse material you've already recorded, right?
They mentioned in an interview recently that they were going to spend March in the studio with Lillywhite to 'cut the (SoE) tracks live'.

Not sure if that means recording/re-writing 'live-style' versions of the songs, or essentially just rehearsing them... but i'd imagine the presence of Lillywhite, Jacknife Lee, and now Ryan tedder suggests the former.

Anyway, there have been rumours now both of South America JT tour dates, and also of new I&E dates being announced. Fingers crossed the latter happens, because 2017 is a write-off for new material if they're touring the Joshua Tree in the autumn.

Unfortunately, it does kind of make more sense that what we'll see is an extension of the JT tour. It has the immediate selling point of u2's biggest album, and is already designed for stadiums, which SA has, whilst I&E was designed for arenas, which (correct me if i'm wrong) aren't as plentiful in that region. Plus they'll have the momentum and practice of 20-odd JT shows, so it would be more effortless to expand that than to introduce a new-old show.

I feared this a while back, but what I think we'll see is more JT tour legs in the autumn, with SoE in stasis for so long that it's no longer fresh, the band decides to write some more and it just morphs into a new album released fall '18 or '19.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #173
Refugee

Having said that, i do find it weird that they would commit to a month in the studio with SoE (when they could be rehearsing for their imminent stadium tour) and doing a photo/video shoot with the person who shot videos for the making of Invisible and SoI, if they're deciding to extend said tour to fill up the rest of the year, essentially pushing SoE out of the way.

So hopefully the JT tour extension rumour stays just a rumour (i'm aware it's a bit selfish me saying that at the expense of fans in SA, but I'm just more interested in new material).
Old 03-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #174
War Child

Colour me confused....

I'm sure the band have a plan? Right?
Old 03-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #175
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
they wouldn't be rehearsing for a tour in a studio with producers. Even in the U2 world that would be a new level of nonsense.
sure they would. you record the rehearsals so you can listen back to them afterwards, of course. you need people in the control room to do the actual recording. and we know they're going to need to make some adjustments with the song arrangements from JT in order to perform them successfully live now.

surely it's beneficial to have a well-known and talented producer there who knows how you work in the studio and can offer their opinions and advice on the new arrangements or experiment with mixes and such, than some lowly engineer tech flunky who's only there to press play and stop on the recording. and it also allows them to work on SOE material at the same time if the mood or inspiration strikes. those two things certainly aren't mutually exclusive. it's not like U2 doesn't have the money to have tedder in the studio for a few days for tour rehearsals, and i would imagine if he doesn't have anything else going on, he has no reason not to accept.

it's far from nonsense. it would make less sense if they were there without a producer, actually.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #176
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Jackknife Lee, Ryan Tedder and Steve Lillywhite are not in the studio with them to help with tour rehearsals...
Old 03-20-2017, 04:06 PM   #177
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
Jackknife Lee, Ryan Tedder and Steve Lillywhite are not in the studio with them to help with tour rehearsals...
how do you know this with such apparent absolute certainty?
Old 03-20-2017, 04:14 PM   #178
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Well, not an absolute certainty. But Lee, and Lillywhite have been noted as working on SOE, and I really don't think Tedder would be involved with JT rehearsals.
It's all very odd. I could see them doing a month of heavy work on SOE to get it ready, so they can turn their full attention to rehearsals next month.
Who knows though. Nothing is certain
Old 03-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #179
Y2K
Refugee

Quote:
Because the songs they need to rehearse for the tour have been released for 30 years. This isn't new material that they need their producers from their most recent album to help advise on live arrangements for (although RHMT hasn't been played live, they presumably have a new version or arrangement to perform to in the form of the 30th anniversary remix).

Furthermore, they could ask Joe O'Herlihy or one of their recording engineers to record rehearsals and cut them a mix. There is no reason they would involve someone with a much higher pay grade, who are involved at a much more creative level, to help them rehearse.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:39 PM   #180
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:53 AM
They need Declan Gaffney to just produce the album himself.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference