SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah they probably won't hit US and Europe again in a hurry after the JT tour and that's fine with me... it's about time South America, Australia, NZ, Asia get a shot... you could put together quite a lengthy arena tour through all those markets.

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

You like picking fights, don't you?

The difference is that I actually like U2's music.

Not at all. Just can't figure you out.

You go out of your way to be over the top negative, and then say 'fuck this guy' for doing the same. :shrug: it's weird

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

How would that happen if by most counts the interviews say they'll play in sequence?

Edge was saying they also would want to save the energy for Streets for later in the show. So I'm not so sure they will do it by album running order yet.

How would that happen if by most counts the interviews say they'll play in sequence?

"The show might not necessarily start with Track 1, Side 1 'Where The Streets Have No Name' because we feel like maybe we need to build up to that moment," he says. "So we're still in the middle of figuring out exactly how the running order will go."

I could also see them doing B Sides consisting the length of the show and how they talked about how JT could have been a double album.

Edge was saying they also would want to save the energy for Streets for later in the show. So I'm not so sure they will do it by album running order yet.

Unless they open with non-JT older songs :huh:

This thread is aptly titled...:huh:

Gloom and Doom ain't just a Rolling Stones' song...:lol:

It's safe to say, and I'll say it, this is NOT a cash grab. This is not U2 selling their souls (completely) for the sake of the almighty $$. It's U2 trying to win back it's audience, and maybe even win a newer audience, and layout some ground work for the release of SOE.

The goal of this tour is to prep the arrival of SOE and drum up some excitement for the band. SOI was a cluster fuck and just a misgiven marketing strategy. Headache so eloquently laid out the reasons earlier in this thread. U2 needs to stop trying so hard...it's their biggest weakness.

Unless they open with non-JT older songs :huh:

I thought this was obvious. Just because they don't want to start the show with Streets doesn't mean they aren't doing it in order. You want to ease the audience into the show with some more fun/upbeat material, and have JT be the centerpiece. So expect some big hits up front, and then they either do JT and have an intermission after Mothers, or the whole concert is split in half like the i&e format and they begin JT right after the halfway intermission.

Also, they aren't doing an intermission between album "sides" so let's just cancel that idea right now.

I thought this was obvious. Just because they don't want to start the show with Streets doesn't mean they aren't doing it in order. You want to ease the audience into the show with some more fun/upbeat material, and have JT be the centerpiece. So expect some big hits up front, and then they either do JT and have an intermission after Mothers, or the whole concert is split in half like the i&e format and they begin JT right after the halfway intermission.

Also, they aren't doing an intermission between album "sides" so let's just cancel that idea right now.

Call me crazy, but I don't associate many U2 songs with "fun, upbeat material".... and this might even be more true of TJT and prior material.

Maybe "A Celebration"..... dunno.

For my money, if you do this tour, you go all out. You break out the red-screens cowboy hats and silhouettes and open with Streets... arguably the best tour opener ever.

Heck, do Streets twice if you must but open with Streets, just like 1987.

Not at all. Just can't figure you out.

You go out of your way to be over the top negative, and then say 'fuck this guy' for doing the same. :shrug: it's weird

Yeah maybe you're right. I am in the camp that has been seeing this Joshua Tree business in a negative light. I'm actually quite excited for the tour itself, but a little bummed about Edge's comments/attitude towards SOE. But I guess the important thing to remember is that I'm lucky enough to be able to see a show this summer, and in my home state of Ohio no less. It's gonna be awesome. I wish I could also hit Pittsburgh or Chicago as well. A younger version of me would've jumped at multiple shows, but with the wife and the kids and the job... eeehhh...

Yeah maybe you're right. I am in the camp that has been seeing this Joshua Tree business in a negative light. I'm actually quite excited for the tour itself, but a little bummed about Edge's comments/attitude towards SOE. But I guess the important thing to remember is that I'm lucky enough to be able to see a show this summer, and in my home state of Ohio no less. It's gonna be awesome. I wish I could also hit Pittsburgh or Chicago as well. A younger version of me would've jumped at multiple shows, but with the wife and the kids and the job... eeehhh...

:up:

I could also see them doing B Sides consisting the length of the show and how they talked about how JT could have been a double album.

Based on Edge's comments in Rolling Stone and pretty much U2's whole touring history there is now way they are playing b-sides (other than the occasional Spanish Eyes).

If they really play the whole album they will be playing a whole lot of songs they never play, which is going to leave little to no room for any other deep cuts. I fully expect the Joshua Tree + Warhorses, and maybe a new song if we get lucky.

Call me crazy, but I don't associate many U2 songs with "fun, upbeat material".... and this might even be more true of TJT and prior material.

Vertigo? Elevation? The Miracle? EBTTRT? Out of Control?

Are you not familiar with previous concert openers or stuff played really early in the set?

Vertigo? Elevation? The Miracle? EBTTRT? Out of Control?

Are you not familiar with previous concert openers or stuff played really early in the set?

Quite familiar actually... but outside OOC most of those are a long way chronologically from TJT and I would not have expected but one, maybe two of those even showing up on a set list for this pending tour let alone opening the show.

Just my opinion, but opening a show celebrating the 30th anniversary of TJT with a song from a different record would be strange... but then, U2, so who knows.

They have so many possible show openers.
They probably won't do this, but a good set IMO would be...\\\
1 Hold Me/Real Thing/Discotheque/Desire
(mix up the opener)
2 Vertigo
3 The Fly
4 Raised by Wolves
5 UTEOW
6 NYD
7-10 mix of hits/maybe a new song
11 something to segue into Streets (Bad, TUF, MOS, EBW, etc???...)
12-22 JT
23-28

There is no fucking way Raised By Wolves is being done this tour.

You can hold me to this prediction.

I assumed they were going to play mainly older songs that appeared on that tour plus the full album with a beautiful day and vertigo thrown in the encore.

Just my opinion, but opening a show celebrating the 30th anniversary of TJT with a song from a different record would be strange... but then, U2, so who knows.

Well, if they're not opening the show with the whole album (I already explained above why this wouldn't make sense) , they have to open with a song from another album. Springsteen has done the same thing on his full-album shows. It's the centerpiece, it's why everyone is there. Why blow your load right at the beginning?

There is no fucking way Raised By Wolves is being done this tour.

You can hold me to this prediction.

Yeah, that's not happening. The only SOI songs we'll get are EBW and/or The Miracle. Unfortunately.

I assumed they were going to play mainly older songs that appeared on that tour plus the full album with a beautiful day and vertigo thrown in the encore.

There's no way they disregard the last two and a half decades of music. This isn't going to be an "authentic" show from the JT tour. I think Edge's interview alluded to how much material they have to choose from, and he wasn't just talking about the first 5 albums.

JT runs, what, 50 minutes? They have at least another hour and 15 minutes to fill up, and you can bet your ass we'll be hearing stuff from Achtung Baby, ATYCLB, The Bomb, and others.

YOU HAVE A CONTRACT, YOU BETTER THINK OF A WAY TO MAKE US SOME FUCKING MONEY!!!!"

I don't believe for a second that this is some sort of artistic statement about how this current political climate is similar to what it was in the mid eighties. You could bend that narrative to fit any time, really.

I'm quite excited for this 2017 JT tour, don't get me wrong. I just wish that the I&E Tour could've run it's course throughout 2015-16, with SOE in there too, wrapping it all up in a neat little package. Then do this JT Tour this year with a clean slate.

This...wholeheartedly....yes.

I'm not so much sad that U2 is doing a nostalgia tour, but I am a little sad that they are at the age where it is appropriate and even necessary for them to do a nostalgia tour.

It was always going to happen. That day is here. And it's ok. I'll see Philly and D.C. and enjoy what I can while I still can.

Stand By Me
C'Mon Everybody
I Will Follow
Out of Control
MLK
The Unforgettable Fire
Bad
Streets
ISHFWILF
With or Without You
BTBS
RTSS