SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it's interesting ... i think the spring releases of Pop and NLOTH had to do with the upcoming massive stadium tours that couldn't be moved -- those deadlines actually got the band to finish the albums. We may have been better served if we'd had a Fall 1997 release of Pop. It may have gone over better, the album might have been better, the campaign more effective, and the tour more coherent.

Although it seems the extra time on NLOTH worked against the album.

U2 would have looked even more desperate if they'd released Pop in fall 97. The sounds they were using were already bordering on hacky when the album came out. It should have been released in 96.

Well, it depends. The first question is, what would make them stop touring? Larry's back or other physical issues?

I suppose so, yes.

I think they might have another meeting after 2020 when the Live Nation deal expires but as long as they're all willing and able to record and tour, why not ?

Lest we forget Adamreferring not only to SOE, but SOA as well at that U240 interview ... When did SOE become the messenger of doom of U2 and beginning of the end ?

I try to look at it from the long-term lens. Think about how you will look back at it in 5 years. No one will give a shit. People will just be glad they saw some U2 shows and have another mediocre U2 album by U2 standards. You will be wondering what the next venture will be. In the grand scheme it means very little.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

"What happened to Songs of Experience? I thought it was finished? Can we expect it in the current century?"

"Ha, yes… possibly even this decade. "

Oh yeah, ha. Ha fucking ha.

Pulled the Songs of Experience related questions from here: U2 > News > 'Music Can Pull People Together…'

What happened to Songs of Experience? I thought it was finished? Can we expect it in the current century?

Ha, yes… possibly even this decade. The band have forbidden me from talking about deadlines and release dates. I can tell you that Songs of Experience is a very personal album, but that intimacy still needs the frame of a more anxious edgy world because that is where a lot of people are at this moment…

Throw us a bone - give us the title of one of the new songs… and a lyric. Are you going to play some of the new songs on TJTT?

Might. My favourite at the moment is “The Little Things That Give You Away”. Here’s a couple of verses:

"The night gave you a song,
a light had been turned on,
You walked out in the world
like you belonged there
As easy as a breeze,
each heart was yours to tease
Is it only me who sees there’s something wrong here
It’s the little things that give you away
The words you cannot say
Your big mouth in the way
It’s the little things that reveal and betray
Has the hunter now become the prey
It’s the little things, the little things
That give you away
I saw you on the stairs
You didn’t notice I was there
That’s cos you were busy talking at me
Not to me
You were high above the storm
A hurricane being born
But this freedom, it might cost you your liberty
It’s the little things that give you away
The words you cannot say
Your big mouth in the way
It’s the little things that reveal and betray
Has the hunter now become the prey
It’s the little things, the little things that give you away"

Theres a very big tangent at the end of this this, that’s very revealing – but that’s enough for now.

If the record was finished AND they were happy with it, there's no doubt it'd be released. Trump be damned.

But they aren't happy with it, or ONE person isn't (Edge) so the political climate was a nice excuse. I do agree that they need to win the public back a bit after SOI, so maybe the JT tour can help warm people up to the band again, and see it with positive results for SOE

Bono is a poet... he can tell stories in an engaging way.. even if the content is not that satisfying.. but I like the way he uses language as a tool to emphasize his thoughts

PS: These Lyrics to "The Little Things That Give You Away" are not convincing

Last edited:
U2 trolls fans play SOE in entirety automatically upload to concert goers phones

Here is that omitted verse from "The Little Things That Give You Away":

Just stay out of my way
Or you'll pay
Listen to what I say
Hey, why don't I just go eat some hay
Make things out of clay
Lay by the bay
I just may
What'd ya say?

Pulled the Songs of Experience related questions from here: U2 > News > 'Music Can Pull People Together…'

:up: I really like those lyrics. Nice to finally get a little morsel of info after so long! This song was mentioned a year ago, if not longer, so it's clearly one that's stood the test of time, which is hopefully a testament to its strength. It should also be from the initial Thomas/Barlow sessions (i think).

I think the fact that the question "will we hear any SoE songs on the JT tour" was brought up (and answered, albeit with a 'maybe') on u2's official website means it's something they're definitely considering... though it's probably still 50/50 whether they go through with it.

Just stay out of my way
Or you'll pay
Listen to what I say
Make things out of clay
Lay by the bay
I just may
What'd ya say?

giphy.gif

Just stay out of my way
Or you'll pay
Listen to what I say
Make things out of clay
Lay by the bay
I just may
What'd ya say?

Absolutely heart wrenching...eating hay and making things from clay...:sad:

Might be Bono's best work since October...

I said this in the JT Tour thread, but I'm going to say it here too as it applies. And please don't get angry with me for being to NEGATIVE, because I'm actually not being that negative. I'm just trying to be a little bit realistic.

I believe this Joshua Tree Tour 2.0 is going to last beyond that August show in Brussels. I believe THERE IS A POSSIBILITY they will take this show to South America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, etc. South America pretty much HAS to be a stadium tour, due to a lack of arenas. The options are to modify the I&E Tour for stadiums, OR bring this Joshua Tree tour there. Which is already a stadium tour, based on a concept that's bound to sell out all venues. And while we haven't seen this stage yet, obviously, it's sure to be quite minimalistic compared to the 360 stage. Which means it's easier and less expensive to take to the southern hemisphere. That would mean that these R.O.W. markets could see JT shows later in 2017/early 2018. Bono did say that they're "working on it", as far as visiting these countries.

Australia/NZ/Japan, on the other hand, do have suitable arenas for I&E. So it's just a question of which tour U2 / LiveNation wants to do more down under, and how soon they want to get there. In Australia / NZ they could probably do 10 stadium shows, or 20 arena shows. The stadiums give them the option to play for more people and make more money in less time. If SOE does come out this fall, then they could take the I&E arena tour to Australia at the beginning of 2018. Don't get me wrong, I hope you Aussies get the arena tour you've deserved, that every U2 fan deserves.

If the Joshua Tree goes to these other regions, that doesn't bode well for SOE's timeline. At this moment, none of the band seem too worried about putting the album out at all. There's no sense of urgency whatsoever, and actually a very conscious effort to hold back the album's progress.

Again, I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. I think we'll be lucky to see SOE in 2017 at all. The only reason to even question this logic is because Bono said in the video that SOE would be coming in 2017. But now even he seems to have rescended that comment. I hope it does get released, and that the I&E Tour resumes in 2018, and that we all live happily ever after!

I believe this Joshua Tree Tour 2.0 is going to last beyond that August show in Brussels. I believe THERE IS A POSSIBILITY they will take this show to South America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, etc. South America pretty much HAS to be a stadium tour, due to a lack of arenas. The options are to modify the I&E Tour for stadiums, OR bring this Joshua Tree tour there. Which is already a stadium tour, based on a concept that's bound to sell out all venues. And while we haven't seen this stage yet, obviously, it's sure to be quite minimalistic compared to the 360 stage. Which means it's easier and less expensive to take to the southern hemisphere. That would mean that these R.O.W. markets could see JT shows later in 2017/early 2018. Bono did say that they're "working on it", as far as visiting these countries.

Australia/NZ/Japan, on the other hand, do have suitable arenas for I&E. So it's just a question of which tour U2 / LiveNation wants to do more down under, and how soon they want to get there. In Australia / NZ they could probably do 10 stadium shows, or 20 arena shows. The stadiums give them the option to play for more people and make more money in less time. If SOE does come out this fall, then they could take the I&E arena tour to Australia at the beginning of 2018. Don't get me wrong, I hope you Aussies get the arena tour you've deserved, that every U2 fan deserves.

I met and chatted to Bono in London for the i+e tour and asked him about Australia, he said the exact same thing way back then... "We're working on it"... followed by the usual "We love playing there, etc"... so it may well just be a standard response and not necessarily meaning firm plans are in place.

To anyone who talks about Q4 concerns for a release: what about Adele's 25?

Adele's 25. When was that released? November 20, 2015. Even Adele and her management know the value of a Q4 release.

I believe this Joshua Tree Tour 2.0 is going to last beyond that August show in Brussels.

If they wanted to do a full global tour they could, but that does not seem to be the case. The markets booked are primarily the largest ones while others get skipped. I'm sure the band will be on vacation in August/September just before promo time for the release of Songs Of Experience in November. They'll resume the Innocence And Experience tour in March 2018 and do about 120 shows around the world lasting into early 2019.

I don't think many were predicting a few weeks ago that we'd have 25 shows announced for a new tour so soon. Things will happen, don't expect them to be all revealed at once.

that's actually a very good point and something I was wondering myself...

many of these songs would require a second guitar. obviously they can tweak things to work however they'd like... but traditionally, you would expect a rhythm guitar part on a lot of these tracks.

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned already but the Christmas video did have a guitar under the tree marked "B".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom