SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair... - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #106
The Fly

Local Time: 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
ohhhh! clever!

tell us again how you never have to answer to your boss.
Nice red herring response. Don't let facts get in your way.

The band will never ever admit to it and LYV senior management won't ever say it on the record to the press so as not to embarrass the band (whom they really like and have sunk a ton of money into) but they will tell their investors and shareholders. U2 could tour SOE this year or come up with something else, the band chose the later. And it is all about the money.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #107
The Fly

Local Time: 09:24 AM
SOE will probably be an over produced monstrosity, perhaps they should bring in Eno and Lanois for the follow up and go out with a bang!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using U2 Interference mobile app

Old 01-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #108
Gunslinger

Local Time: 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Registered Dude View Post
read this in Anthony Bourdain's voice. it sounds even better!
I'm so mesmerized now!
Old 01-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #109
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall faulk View Post
Nice red herring response. Don't let facts get in your way.

The band will never ever admit to it and LYV senior management won't ever say it on the record to the press so as not to embarrass the band (whom they really like and have sunk a ton of money into) but they will tell their investors and shareholders. U2 could tour SOE this year or come up with something else, the band chose the later. And it is all about the money.
you realize Live Nation owns the Principle Management / Maverick combo, right? That they benefit financially from each and every thing that U2 does?

So let's assume you're right. They have Songs of Experience completed and ready to go, are happy with it and the version that is sitting in a basement right now will be released later on, with no changes made. And that Live Nation gave them the option of touring this new album, or touring the Joshua Tree, and U2 chose the Joshua Tree because MORE MONEY!!!!

Let's assume that this really is what it's all about.

OK... fine.

So why stop there then? If it's all about making money for the band and Live Nation (nice of you to continue using their stock symbol to drive home that they're a corporation interested in making money... it's a solid touch)... why wouldn't there be a re-re-re-release of Joshua Tree ready to go with this announcement? Where's a single to sell and promote, and to put in commercials and marketing deals, and push to radio?

Because every one of those things would also benefit Live Nation's bottom line, as the parent company of U2's management team.

So if it was a pure money grab... where's the rest?

Yes, U2 will make money off of this. They make money off of everything. They make a lot of money. Live Nation will make money off of this. Also true. They'll make a shit-ton. Nobody is denying that, and yes, one would be naive to say that getting out there and touring and putting some dollars in the bank didn't cross anyone's mind. But what is a tour if not a way for the band to make money? If it wasn't a money maker, they wouldn't tour.

But I don't think for a second that the band is simply holding off on releasing Songs of Experience so that they can cash in on Joshua Tree. If you believe that, fine. Believe that. It doesn't make sense to me - as if they were simply trying to cash in, they wouldn't stop merely at a tour.

If there's a fair critique of the band in this situation, it's that they're again lacking the confidence to just release music that they've been working on for years. If anyone wants to make that argument, I can't argue against it.

But a pure cash grab? It would be a lot more extensive than it is if that were the only reasoning.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #110
The Fly

Again, nice red herring.

SOE was/is apparently not ready and up to what the band wanted. Live Nation didn't care what they toured, just as long as they toured in 2017. Hence they all concocted what we have. Because, you know, money.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #111
Blue Crack Supplier

this also seems to mean that, like Springsteen, we could be seeing U2 tour every 2-3 years for the foreseeable future.

U2 is a cash cow, and this is how they shall be milked henceforth.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:31 PM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
this also seems to mean that, like Springsteen, we could be seeing U2 tour every 2-3 years for the foreseeable future.

U2 is a cash cow, and this is how they shall be milked henceforth.

I think all bands tour at least 2-3 years now. That is the only place where the cash is for musicians since no one buys music anymore.

Still pleased U2 keeps price at a reasonable level.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #113
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I hope this is the plan, they could perform a lot of places they haven't visited.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #114
Gunslinger

Local Time: 12:24 AM
I find that the $70 GA ticket (less fees) makes the money argument sort of irrelevant. Making money sure, but not milking it (yet).
Old 01-10-2017, 06:18 PM   #115
The Fly

Old 01-10-2017, 06:23 PM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:24 AM
What worries me is that they're gonna bleed the US market so dry for this tour that they're not going to come back next year for the I&E Tour. There's basically just going to be a lot of 2nd/3rd tier cities for the theoretical tour next year. Places like Portland, Columbus, Minneapolis, St. Louis. There is still a good 30+ show leg just based on cities that haven't gotten I&E 2015 or JT 2017. But it'll involve a lot of single night stops.

I'm just afraid SOE and I&E are going to go the way of SOA. If they can't tour the US again, they probably won't start up I&E at all (because they are obsessed with the US). I don't want U2 to become a nostalgia act. I don't know why, for some reason that bothers me. My 2nd favorite band, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, are going on a 40th anniversary arena tour this year (even though their 1st album actually came out in 1976, but whatever). No new album, Tom's been working on a collection of unreleased songs from the Wildflowers sessions but that's it. This 40th anniversary tour is clearly only about money, and I didn't bat an eye whatsoever. I happily bought a ticket and can't wait to go.

Why do I hold U2 to such higher standards?
Old 01-10-2017, 06:31 PM   #117
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
What worries me is that they're gonna bleed the US market so dry for this tour that they're not going to come back next year for the I&E Tour. There's basically just going to be a lot of 2nd/3rd tier cities for the theoretical tour next year. Places like Portland, Columbus, Minneapolis, St. Louis. There is still a good 30+ show leg just based on cities that haven't gotten I&E 2015 or JT 2017. But it'll involve a lot of single night stops.

I'm just afraid SOE and I&E are going to go the way of SOA. If they can't tour the US again, they probably won't start up I&E at all (because they are obsessed with the US). I don't want U2 to become a nostalgia act. I don't know why, for some reason that bothers me. My 2nd favorite band, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, are going on a 40th anniversary arena tour this year (even though their 1st album actually came out in 1976, but whatever). No new album, Tom's been working on a collection of unreleased songs from the Wildflowers sessions but that's it. This 40th anniversary tour is clearly only about money, and I didn't bat an eye whatsoever. I happily bought a ticket and can't wait to go.

Why do I hold U2 to such higher standards?

How are you different from the Pitchfork writer again?!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 01-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:24 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...trump-election

they gave away their last album, but people complained saying they didn't want it, and now they have an album but are refusing to release it, which will make people want it more - genius
Old 01-10-2017, 06:46 PM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
How are you different from the Pitchfork writer again?!

You like picking fights, don't you?

The difference is that I actually like U2's music.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:46 PM   #120
Ghost of Love

U2 is touring the best album of all time.

The end.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you