SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair... - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #91
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:19 PM
Thankfully it hasn't overshadowed the tour announcement...yet.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:19 AM
So tickets go on sale tomorrow for U2.com members? Where's my email and code?

Old 01-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #93
Refugee

Local Time: 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Thee Dog View Post
So tickets go on sale tomorrow for U2.com members? Where's my email and code?

If you login to u2.com and go to "your account", you'll see your code.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #94
Refugee

Local Time: 07:19 PM
I usually don't like the views of Pitchfork, but this time, maybe they have a point.

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1406-u...social_twitter

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference
Old 01-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #95
War Child

Local Time: 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
No new info or anything, but apparently the Trump factor was a big enough deal to make the political website The Hill. Go figure.

U2 delays album release after Trump win | TheHill

ETA: And Mediaite. Looks like the band might get some attention with this story.
SO Trump isn't even a president and he has ruined an u2 release already... where does this end😨

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app
Old 01-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #96
The Fly

Local Time: 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Yo View Post
I usually don't like the views of Pitchfork, but this time, maybe they have a point.

U2 Are Finally Acting Their Age | Pitchfork

Pitchfork nailed it.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #97
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Yo View Post

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1406-u...social_twitter

Of course they have a point.

U2 stayed around longer than most bands ever could. That they were able to have a third moment of world domination in their third decade is truly remarkable. But every band faces a tone where that's just not in the cards anymore, and where striving for world domination will make you look out of touch and slightly sad.

That started creeping in in 2009, but it hit full force on this last album promotion cycle. No Line should have been their warning... a massive world tour... the biggest of all time even... but nobody cared about the new music.

Rather than learning their leseon, they double downed and flat out embarrassed themselves with the Songs of Innocence release, not to mention the scrapping of sessions to bring in poppier producers in search of hits hits hits... how they have seemingly forgotten large chunks of their catalog from the pre-2000 "classic U2" era of the band.

I hope this embrace of their past on this tour is part of a move in the right direction. Not that they have to give up writing new music... just that they're going to give up trying to appeal to a younger generation that has passed them by, that they'll be more comfortable in their own skin. That they won't pass by a song that may have a more "classic U2" vibe to it simply because they feel it's too "U2ey." (I mean really?)

They're fucking U2. They don't need to cater to anyone.

The irony upon ironies is that they'll be more likely to find that fourth moment they've been looking for if they stopped trying so hard to force it.

I welcome the era of a grown up U2, comfortable in their own existence, if that is indeed what this is. It's long overdue.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #98
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlips View Post
i know most people here seem to think they're making up an excuse for not having soe ready, but what we've all heard from several sources over the past few weeks is that it was ready. These weren't the usual bono quotes we're all used to hearing.

I believe the results of the us election had a huge part in what they're doing now. We all know where they stand on political & social issues, and the president-elect steers completely opposite of their core beliefs. It doesn't surprise me that they want to re-work the album a bit, or maybe add a couple tracks to express their concerns about the future of the political landscape.

I'm sure the jt tour is just a way to satisfy live nation & the fans, but there's nothing wrong with that in my book. I read someone's post last night, pointing out they don't even want to hear the first 4 tracks since they've heard them enough already. Seriously? If this were the soe tour, we would likely hear those 4 songs anyway. Now we get to finally hear the rest of the jt album live, including some songs for the first time ever. That is totally worth it for me. Soe will be out in its own time.

I'm sorry if i come across as too quick to accept the album delay news, but the forums were getting a little too negative on a day when we just had a tour announcement.
exactly!
Old 01-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #99
Refugee

Local Time: 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post

U2 stayed around longer than most bands ever could. That they were able to have a third moment of world domination in their third decade is truly remarkable. But every band faces a tone where that's just not in the cards anymore, and where striving for world domination will make you look out of touch and slightly sad.

That started creeping in in 2009, but it hit full force on this last album promotion cycle. No Line should have been their warning... a massive world tour... the biggest of all time even... but nobody cared about the new music.

Rather than learning their leseon, they double downed and flat out embarrassed themselves with the Songs of Innocence release, not to mention the scrapping of sessions to bring in poppier producers in search of hits hits hits... how they have seemingly forgotten large chunks of their catalog from the pre-2000 "classic U2" era of the band.

I hope this embrace of their past on this tour is part of a move in the right direction. Not that they have to give up writing new music... just that they're going to give up trying to appeal to a younger generation that has passed them by, that they'll be more comfortable in their own skin. That they won't pass by a song that may have a more "classic U2" vibe to it simply because they feel it's too "U2ey." (I mean really?)

The irony upon ironies is that they'll be more likely to find that fourth moment they've been looking for if they stopped trying so hard to force it.

I welcome the era of a grown up U2, comfortable in their own existence, if that is indeed what this is. It's long overdue.
Best post on this issue so far!

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app
Old 01-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #100
Refugee

Well said. I've had the same thought about a 'fourth moment' for a while now. I can just see them releasing SoE, suffering the same tepid reaction, then going away/semi-retiring for a few years... only to come back with a less commercial, uncompromising album that acknowledges they can no longer play the hit-making game, and that has a positive reaction akin (though not to the same extent) to something like Bowie's Next Day, or Black Star.

Having said all that, I'm only about 50% convinced that their age has prevented their success in recent years. This is because I don't think they've written anything worthy of being a hit since Vertigo. NLOTH was of course a dud, and Miracle nearly got there but doesn't quite 'soar' like Beautiful Day. So, until they write something with the same spirit and potential as their big hits, and it still fails, I'm unconvinced that they're simply too old to find success again.

The Best Thing has a fantastic vibe, and if they release that song and others like it, I think SoE could do miles better than NLOTH or SoI. Maybe I'll be wrong, but i think they have a chance as long as the music's there.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

read this in Anthony Bourdain's voice. it sounds even better!
Old 01-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #102
Refugee

Headache continues to have the absolute best takes on all of this. Spot on as always.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:59 PM   #103
The Fly

Quote:

Except Live Nation. Hence Joshua Tree 2017.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #104
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
No new info or anything, but apparently the Trump factor was a big enough deal to make the political website The Hill. Go figure.

U2 delays album release after Trump win | TheHill

ETA: And Mediaite. Looks like the band might get some attention with this story.
Friend just texted me that he saw it on CNN. They are definitely taking a lot of liberties with that quote but whatever. We know there were no plans to release it in 2016 on November 7th and nothing about November 8th changed that.

Weird that this is a story honestly. They'll use it as an excuse retroactively I guess. The Twitter responses are...lol
Old 01-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #105
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall faulk View Post
Except Live Nation. Hence Joshua Tree 2017.
ohhhh! clever!

tell us again how you never have to answer to your boss.