SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair... - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2017, 01:26 AM   #61
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
I was listening to TJT today and my boss saw the album cover on my phone - and he just taps me on the shoulder and says "great album"
SYNERGY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post
Release a new album at the moment - the band who invaded your itunes - and the general perception will be, broadly speaking, derision.
But resow a shitload of TJT seeds and the new album might get more of a chance.
Or, you know, it gets compared unfavorably to a decades-old masterpiece that they just toured for. __________________

Old 01-10-2017, 01:33 AM   #62
Refugee

Local Time: 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoKKeR View Post

Plus, it gives them some good will and momentum going forward, especially if they incorporate a look towards the future like Edge and Adam have alluded to in interviews.

Oh, and I'll get to hear fucking RHMT, One Tree Hill, Exit, In God's Country... basically all of side B for the first time um hell yes.

Exactly!!

I'm beyond thrilled to hear literally every song that's not the big 4.

Even the 3 they've played since 1989- Running, One Tree Hill, In God's Country.... have been done very sparingly. Running only a staple of Zoo Tv then 1 leg of Vertigo and OTH and IGC extreme rarities played only at shows where there is a connection to the location.

Exit, Mothers, RHMT.

Trip Through Your Wires! Highly underrated and always excellent in the number 3 spot on JT tour shows!

Bring on JT 30!

This will be outstanding, bring back a lot of fans and get the general public interested again. Best thing U2 could've done now.

I hear far more criticism of U2 from causal fans and the general public that focuses on their lack of attention to the back catalog than I do criticism that they don't push new/relevant material enough.

Let's face it- we all know this is the crowd U2 needs to win over. Casual fans and the general public. Us hard core types, no matter how much some of us bitch, will be at 1 or more of these shows screaming our lungs out when they play all these JT songs. We'll love every second of it even if we complain now. We know this and so does the band!

Old 01-10-2017, 02:06 AM   #63
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoKKeR View Post

Plus, it gives them some good will and momentum going forward, especially if they incorporate a look towards the future like Edge and Adam have alluded to in interviews.

Oh, and I'll get to hear fucking RHMT, One Tree Hill, Exit, In God's Country... basically all of side B for the first time um hell yes.
Yep. We've been saying for some time on this forum that they need to do something to wash out the bad taste that SOI left in so many mouths.

Judging by how well this is going down, it seems they've done the right thing.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-10-2017, 02:14 AM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life

Who cares whether this was serving Live Nation, it appears to be working, and could be great. I am shocked by the number of people in my Facebook feed liking the announcement - people who hate current U2, or I had no idea they liked them at all.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 01-10-2017, 02:17 AM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Ps, the promo video has nearly 8 million Facebook views. The Red one posted days before only has 1.1 million

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 01-10-2017, 02:20 AM   #66
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:15 PM
I am very excited about this tour. I just hope they stick to their plan and play the full album. And I think they should only play songs from the 5 first albums. Nothing else. Bring us back to 87, that s the point after all.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:21 AM   #67
War Child

If U2 had just gotten SOE out anytime between the end of the I&E Tour and fall 2016 (as originally semi-promised), they would already have an album in the books and could focus on the relevant political message for the *next* record.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:29 AM   #68
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
I have to say. I love this band. I love the Joshua Tree. I was exposed to Boy/October/War when i was a wee one, and then got more interested during UF, and got full fledged fandom during Joshua Tree.

But, I have seen them 16 times, I'm not as into going to see live shows as I once was. So while I will probably hit this tour, I would rather have a new album by far.

They have every right to celebrate this classic album. But it's the first time I've genuinely felt that tinge of disappointment that they have entered the final phase of their career, and instead of going out with a beautiful, poignant, album for the ages, they are doing commemorative tours of old material.

I know, they aren't "done" I hope. But this is a detour that doesn't really excite me. Although i do think it may be a good move to get older fans back into the fold and excited for SOE (or whatever it may be called). Fingers crossed.
Thank God for this post. I felt weird because I really felt this way too. JT was great (but not even my favorite U2 album), but I saw them like 3 or 4 times on JT Tour. I am good. I would have much rather had the new album (if it was GREAT like it damned well should be) and an epic bad ass tour, not a rehash.

I don't feel excited. Especially after that not so great Vegas show I saw last Fall which was a total nostalgia-fest.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:43 AM   #69
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopFly View Post
If U2 had just gotten SOE out anytime between the end of the I&E Tour and fall 2016 (as originally semi-promised), they would already have an album in the books and could focus on the relevant political message for the *next* record.
This.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:15 AM   #70
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
This.
Agree! The band obviously aren't confident enough in their new material, hence we probably won't see SOE or whatever form the new album will be released until 2018/2019. I hope I'm wrong and would be stoked if the album was released later this year, but who am I fooling. This is U2. It probably won't happen.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:50 AM   #71
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Yep. We've been saying for some time on this forum that they need to do something to wash out the bad taste that SOI left in so many mouths.

Judging by how well this is going down, it seems they've done the right thing.
Thing is, you do this nostalgia thing once and gone is the ability to make Joe public ever care about new music again. So yeah it's great but they are shooting themselves in the foot since it means SOE or any future album can't have any impact or meaning. As I have already said, the idea that this is some sort of launching pad for SOE is deluded.

Bottom line is they have effectively given up on new material.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:07 AM   #72
Vocal parasite

SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair...

Except for the part where plenty of bands tour full albums regularly and continue to release new albums that do just fine, sure.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-10-2017, 06:22 AM   #73
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCowley View Post
Thing is, you do this nostalgia thing once and gone is the ability to make Joe public ever care about new music again. So yeah it's great but they are shooting themselves in the foot since it means SOE or any future album can't have any impact or meaning. As I have already said, the idea that this is some sort of launching pad for SOE is deluded.

Bottom line is they have effectively given up on new material.
Joe Public hasn't given a turkey about new U2 music since 2004.

The only people this may have a negative effect on are whiney U2 fans.

Springsteen did a greatest hits tour in 1999 - then he released The Rising.

Bands do this all the time now... nobody cares
Old 01-10-2017, 08:09 AM   #74
Refugee

Local Time: 08:15 AM
When SOI was released, as "irritating" as it was to the world, wasn't there a huge uptick in sales for the entire back catalog? I remember TJT breaking the top 20 in album sales, or something.

TJT is universally loved and respected, now also by a new generation who stumbled upon it. Now they can experience it live.

In a way, this tour is kind of a genius move.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:24 AM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Joe Public hasn't given a turkey about new U2 music since 2004.

The only people this may have a negative effect on are whiney U2 fans.

Springsteen did a greatest hits tour in 1999 - then he released The Rising.

Bands do this all the time now... nobody cares
you just reminded me about The Rising.

what a record.

headphones time.