SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I can somewhat buy the political excuse.

The Best Thing sounded like a very confident band, and it sounded fleet of foot and buoyant of spirit, and poppy as all fuck. I can still sing it. To release such a single in a world that grew considerably darker this past fall -- not just in the US but in Europe as well -- might have been correctly assessed as out of step and out of touch.

."

If this is anywhere near the truth, it just shows how incredibly fragile their egos are these days.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 01-09-2017, 09:20 PM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Coming straight from the Jazz Man, love it

U2 aren't just musicians, they are artists and have substance to their art. And if you want U2 to keep producing new albums, it's part of the deal. No two ways about it.

Eddie Vedder has this saying, and I'm paraphrasing that he calls the political material in their shows 'your daily does of fiber for your diet' and if you don't want it, that's ok, but it's good for you. That's an artist speaking.

Found some other great EV quotes:

'If there was anything that I learned with my own writing process, maybe there's too many choices what to write about. Just the amount of subject matter in the world these days; maybe that feels chaotic for me.'

This I believe is something Bono truly struggles with because how close these matters are to his heart. He's seen a lot more than probably this whole forum combined.

And one last quote from EV - its fitting:

'You can go down the list of great artists and kind of understand that they are products of their environment. Whether it's U2 or Henry Rollins or myself or Johnny Lydon, they're gonna be products of their environment.'

I'm a fine arts painter so I can speak first hand - - anyone who has a difficult time understanding the idea that the music can change, as frustrating as it is as a fan, is even more frustrating as the person creating the work, especially if it's being shared for the masses and can affect the lives of many families that depend on their livelihood.

Found the quotes at:
https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/q...dde481587.html

Old 01-09-2017, 09:24 PM   #48
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphelmet View Post
If this is anywhere near the truth, it just shows how incredibly fragile their egos are these days.

See my last post- fragile or perfectionists? I would never call these men fragile. 40 years and going isn't fragile. They perfect their craft. Drives a lot of us nuts too but it's their gift to us.

EDIT
Their biggest crime has been not knowing when to say when and not 'overwork the painting'
Old 01-09-2017, 09:42 PM   #49
Refugee

Random thought/ question- any chance U2 releases an updated JT recording this time around that is in the format they originally intended as 'The Two Americas'??

I'd definitely buy that.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #50
Refugee

I forgot about The Best Thing. I listened to it 100 times. They always don't release some of their best work, those fuckers.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:38 PM   #51
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by clerks View Post
I forgot about The Best Thing. I listened to it 100 times. They always don't release some of their best work, those fuckers.
I'm still waiting for these

Old 01-09-2017, 10:47 PM   #52
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargedVT View Post
Just about every other band manages to come to Australia these days so it can't be that big of a problem. Coldplay just did a very successful stadium tour here so I'm sure U2 could if the demand is still there for them.
Oh, the demand is DEFINITELY there...no doubt about that!
Old 01-09-2017, 11:19 PM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

These are really good. Love that 2nd one, and "All My Life" has to be among the catchiest things they've ever written. It's, what, 10 years old now? It also seems to fit perfectly (from what I can make out lyrically) with what we're told the themes of SOE are. If we're ever going to hear it finished, it might be this fall.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:53 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:09 PM
So I just now listened to the Kygo version of "The Best Thing". I realize I'm late to the party, but WOW... that song is CATCHY AS FUCK!!!! It's the kind of melody that once somebody hears it once they'll remember it the rest of their lives. Yeah the lyrics are kinda corny, and I realize it's just a remix we're listening to, but that song is a fucking HIT! The only thing that could hold that song back is that fact that it's coming from a bunch of 55 year old men.

It's not exactly my kind of music, and were it by any other band I would probably dismiss it, but I do acknowledge that it's the kind of song that could be quite popular, even in this current climate. I really hope it makes the album, and that we actually get the album.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:16 AM   #55
War Child

Local Time: 09:09 AM
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this tour. I've been doing concerts for exactly 40 years now, saw U2 every tour (except Lovetown) from the Boy tour to IE, caught 3 Joshua Tree tour shows, one of which (4/22/87) I consider the best U2 show I've ever seen and a top 5 concert of my lifetime.

Like a lot of comments here, I too am a bit disappointed they've finally caved in to doing the nostalgia thing after making such a huge point through the years about always wanting to stay relevant and push whatever new material they have on tour. That said, I'll still see them when they play The Rose Bowl in May.

They are now a *very* different band then the group I saw back in '87 playing these songs. I really don't see how they can play the entire album in it's original running order. I'm hoping they don't slavishly stick to the original arrangements especially of the big 4 (Streets, Still haven't Found, WOWY and Bullet). I think it would be nice if they tried some really offbeat things like opening with the one-off semi-acoustic version of "In Gods Country" they played early in the Lovetown tour.

I think there is a strong chance they'll debut at least one new song off the upcoming album.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:51 AM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:09 AM
Looking at the comments on U2's social media postings about the tour I'm surprised at the positive responses for it.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:59 AM   #57
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post
Like a lot of comments here, I too am a bit disappointed they've finally caved in to doing the nostalgia thing after making such a huge point through the years about always wanting to stay relevant and push whatever new material they have on tour. That said, I'll still see them when they play The Rose Bowl in May.
I think it's funny people keep saying this, for two reasons.

First, bloody everybody's doing full albums live now. In the past year I've seen bands play albums in full that aren't released yet, that are a year old, that are 5-10 years old, that are 30 years old. If nothing else it's a great way to get people to pay to hear an album. The notions of authenticity that say you shouldn't do full albums live, especially not catalogue albums, have changed.

Second, judging by the huge positive reaction, doing this reaches more people and is more eagerly anticipated than anything new U2 could do. The Joshua Tree is more relevant than SOE to most people.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-10-2017, 01:05 AM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:09 AM
I was listening to TJT today and my boss saw the album cover on my phone - and he just taps me on the shoulder and says "great album"

Old 01-10-2017, 01:20 AM   #59
Refugee

Local Time: 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
I was listening to TJT today and my boss saw the album cover on my phone - and he just taps me on the shoulder and says "great album"

Yup. That's the thing. TJT isn't just universally liked, it's universally respected.
Release a new album at the moment - the band who invaded your itunes - and the general perception will be, broadly speaking, derision.
But resow a shitload of TJT seeds and the new album might get more of a chance.
Whether it was foisted on them by LN or not, I think it's a master stroke.

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app
Old 01-10-2017, 01:21 AM   #60
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I think it's funny people keep saying this, for two reasons.

First, bloody everybody's doing full albums live now. In the past year I've seen bands play albums in full that aren't released yet, that are a year old, that are 5-10 years old, that are 30 years old. If nothing else it's a great way to get people to pay to hear an album. The notions of authenticity that say you shouldn't do full albums live, especially not catalogue albums, have changed.

Second, judging by the huge positive reaction, doing this reaches more people and is more eagerly anticipated than anything new U2 could do. The Joshua Tree is more relevant than SOE to most people.

Plus, it gives them some good will and momentum going forward, especially if they incorporate a look towards the future like Edge and Adam have alluded to in interviews.

Oh, and I'll get to hear fucking RHMT, One Tree Hill, Exit, In God's Country... basically all of side B for the first time um hell yes.