SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRu View Post
My first and final predictions about SoE:

1. It will release in March 2018.
2. It will not be called Songs of Experience anymore.
3. One song from the album will be played on the TJT-tour. It will have some lyrical and thematical connection to TJT but written from a contemporary perspective.
4. The I+E-tour will not be resumed. Instead they will use much of the setup for this tour, adjust and revamp some elements, and tour the new album in 2018.
Yes I'd buy that.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #32
The Fly

Local Time: 03:46 AM
cheer up, everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMansAman View Post
they simply were not ready... and the 30yr TJT story came in handy..., the now told narrative putting SOE on ice because Trump won the election makes a good story.... but I don't buy it.
I know most people here seem to think they're making up an excuse for not having SOE ready, but what we've all heard from several sources over the past few weeks is that it WAS ready. These weren't the usual Bono quotes we're all used to hearing.

I believe the results of the US election had a huge part in what they're doing now. We all know where they stand on political & social issues, and the president-elect steers completely opposite of their core beliefs. It doesn't surprise me that they want to re-work the album a bit, or maybe add a couple tracks to express their concerns about the future of the political landscape.

I'm sure the JT tour is just a way to satisfy Live Nation & the fans, but there's nothing wrong with that in my book. I read someone's post last night, pointing out they don't even want to hear the first 4 tracks since they've heard them enough already. Seriously? If this were the SOE tour, we would likely hear those 4 songs anyway. Now we get to finally hear the rest of the JT album live, including some songs for the first time ever. That is totally worth it for me. SOE will be out in its own time.

I'm sorry if I come across as too quick to accept the album delay news, but the forums were getting a little too negative on a day when we just had a tour announcement.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #33
The Fly

Local Time: 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofo82 View Post

There's no doubt in my mind this was to satisfy the live nation contract, but if you are U2, you're going to make this work for musical reasons too and I think that that's where this works out. It's a great plan especially if the narrative of SOE as it was didn't jive with the band's feelings. Remember, they're artists. If the statement they want to make with an album is compromised, then it's a shit album to them. Which is why they're personally happy with NLOTH & SOI. They didn't cave in to release those albums under pressure of the fans or the record label. Then this strategy really works especially if SOE was always meant to connect w/ U2's post 80's sounds & sentiment. To piggyback SOE release after a successful Joshua tree 30 tour really makes sense and gets the bad taste out of the typical person's mouth of the SOI/ apple hiccup. I won't be one bit surprised if we hear at least one or more songs from SOE before this tour ends.

Totally agree with this.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:42 PM   #34
War Child

Local Time: 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
I have to say. I love this band. I love the Joshua Tree. I was exposed to Boy/October/War when i was a wee one, and then got more interested during UF, and got full fledged fandom during Joshua Tree.

But, I have seen them 16 times, I'm not as into going to see live shows as I once was. So while I will probably hit this tour, I would rather have a new album by far.

They have every right to celebrate this classic album. But it's the first time I've genuinely felt that tinge of disappointment that they have entered the final phase of their career, and instead of going out with a beautiful, poignant, album for the ages, they are doing commemorative tours of old material.

I know, they aren't "done" I hope. But this is a detour that doesn't really excite me. Although i do think it may be a good move to get older fans back into the fold and excited for SOE (or whatever it may be called). Fingers crossed.
So, plug 20 in for "16 times" and "19 years" for "wee one" and this sums it up for me as well.

They owe me nothing, I'm glad they are hitting the road again and I hope they can re-engage some past fans and find a few new ones too.

I'm just not feeling this and will wait for the Christmas DVD or some good bootlegs and SOE / SOA / SO Whatever it Becomes.

I really hope the whole anti-Trump thing goes well too... I sense a few cringe worthy moments coming on, and that's OK if it keeps some dialog moving on important issues.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:46 PM   #35
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall faulk View Post
Whether you love or hate or are somewhere in between on this tour, any suggestion that this is anything other than to appease Live Nation is really naive. LYV didn't sign U2 for them to put out albums, LYV signed them to sell tickets and merchandise - they were 'disappointed' by U2 in 2016 and put heavy pressure on the band to be on the road in 2017.

LYV doesn't grow towards its targeted $1B AOI without its major stars actually touring.
Yea? And? Would your boss be upset if you didn't show up for work?

And Live Nation are U2's management, so I'm pretty sure they want albums as well.

But yes, thy want to make money. No shit .
Old 01-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #36
Refugee

Local Time: 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Wondering if reluctance to go to Australia is compounded by the weakness of AUD relative to USD. Hasn't that been blamed for similar issues before?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Just about every other band manages to come to Australia these days so it can't be that big of a problem. Coldplay just did a very successful stadium tour here so I'm sure U2 could if the demand is still there for them.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #37
Refugee

Local Time: 05:46 AM
Apparently they just ran a JT30 commercial on ESPN before the championship game.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #38
Refugee

When do we start calling the still-unreleased new album "SOB"?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:22 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

I can somewhat buy the political excuse.

The Best Thing sounded like a very confident band, and it sounded fleet of foot and buoyant of spirit, and poppy as all fuck. I can still sing it. To release such a single in a world that grew considerably darker this past fall -- not just in the US but in Europe as well -- might have been correctly assessed as out of step and out of touch.

I'm sure a lot of it had to do with their inability to play what I'm guessing is their most electronic album since Pop (but in a dancey, trancey, EDM kind of way), but they may have assessed everything and thought "... eh, we're late already, why not just wait a little longer at this point."
Old 01-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoKKeR View Post
Apparently they just ran a JT30 commercial on ESPN before the championship game.
They've done a great job getting the message out.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #41
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:46 PM
If they want to delay it for their own reasons fine, I just hate the idea that everything has to have some sort of political influence and voice, and that releasing something without any obvious political overtones could be seen as disrespectful or out of touch to what's happening in the world. Music can just be music sometimes can't it?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabigon View Post
If they want to delay it for their own reasons fine, I just hate the idea that everything has to have some sort of political influence and voice, and that releasing something without any obvious political overtones could be seen as disrespectful or out of touch to what's happening in the world. Music can just be music sometimes can't it?

For U2, music has never been about music. Their music has always been about something else.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:38 PM   #43
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRu View Post
My first and final predictions about SoE:

1. It will release in March 2018.
2. It will not be called Songs of Experience anymore.
3. One song from the album will be played on the TJT-tour. It will have some lyrical and thematical connection to TJT but written from a contemporary perspective.
4. The I+E-tour will not be resumed. Instead they will use much of the setup for this tour, adjust and revamp some elements, and tour the new album in 2018.

This would be absolutely idiotic.

If they scrap SOE and IE, we won't be hearing from them in 2018, we'll have another 5 to 6 year gap, and it will probably be there last.

They're not going to scrap this theme, it's been floating around for far too long.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 01-09-2017, 08:41 PM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabigon View Post

Old 01-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #45
Refugee

Local Time: 04:46 PM
I am now super excited for the JT tour for specifically one reason :
At each night, we are going to have the privilege of hearing 2 monster live songs : 1) One Tree Hill 2) Exit

Sent from my HUAWEI CUN-U29 using U2 Interference mobile app