SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as sequel albums go, almost all of the sequel albums I know are hip-hop albums, and they're sequels in name only, rather than sound or theme. The only two outstanding exceptions are Jay-Z's Blueprint 2 and Eminem's Marshall Mathers LP 2, both of which were not very good.

Clearly you're forgetting Led Zeppelin II, III, and IV.

Larry photoshoot, now this, and that's a Yamaha motorcycle logo...

:hmm:

It's the music logo, the tuning forks are inside the circle. :up:

that said, I wonder what sort of motorbike perks (if any) that Larry Mullen's enjoyed through his Yamaha deal over the years

It's the music logo, the tuning forks are inside the circle. :up:

that said, I wonder what sort of motorbike perks (if any) that Larry Mullen's enjoyed through his Yamaha deal over the years

You're right, I never realized they were all the same company. I just image searched the logo and the motorcycle logo came up first.

Very curious...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I can't help but feel like it's a smarter idea to simply call Songs of Experience something else.

It ties it too much to SoI and to resume the Innocence & Experience tour after 2 years off and an entirely different tour sandwiched in the middle seems odd to me. I can't help but feel like your average ticket buyer is going to go "The Innocence and Experience tour? Didn't I already go to that?"

If relevance is what the band is looking for, it's an odd way of remaining relevant - by tying themselves to a 3 year old album that pissed people off because of a misguided marketing strategy and a tour that they already saw.

Keep the songs - repackage them as something new, with a new tour to follow.

They can call it the Experience & Ascent Tour!

Songs we think are still in the running, based on recent mentions/rumors:

Civilisation
You're The Best Thing (About Me)
Love is All We Have Left (from the Morleigh cat video)
Mercy :wink:
The Little Things that Give You Away
Much More Better
Instrument Flying

Songs that were mentioned once, but status unknown:

Morning After Innocence (now The Little Things..)
Red Flag Day
Landlady
Where Shadows Fall (Willie Nelson on vocals. from movie that was due last fall, but still unreleased)
Get Out of Your Own Way

34 pages until the first mention of Mercy, well done everyone!

The Wide Awake in Europe version came on shuffle last night... I was equal parts excited to hear it and equal parts disappointed they didn't perform the "album" version.

Civilisation
Much More Better
Instrument Flying

Red Flag Day
Landlady
Where Shadows Fall (Willie Nelson on vocals. from movie that was due last fall, but still unreleased)
Get Out of Your Own Way

large_2B2M5KwEoXghuLVHaWqI0c45y4k.jpg

???

Civilisation
Much More Better
Instrument Flying

Red Flag Day
Landlady
Get Out of Your Own Way

Why are we bringing this up again?

Meet Mercy. Mercy was an awesome B-side in 2004. Then Mercy was butchered and played live on 360. Because because because don't be like 360 Mercy.

Ahh, both versions were great and Mercy was ever a B-side. One of the 20 greatest songs U2 has ever written and recorded. Winter is also in the same category.

I like Winter too. Not that high a level. Mercy is in my top 35 methinks

I have always considered "Winter" to be part of NLOTH. On my custom NLOTH track listing, I've put it at #11 between "Breathe" and "Cedars". Works well there. Eno is all over this track, and I love what's going on musically. I do not acknowledge the Brothers version.

I can't quite remember the circumstances surrounding the leak of Mercy. I just remember hearing it before I heard anything from HTDAAB (besides Vertigo), and thinking what a waste it was to leave something so sonically perfect off the album that desperately needed a track that was interesting. The lyrics are a little bit weird, but it's Bono, it doesn't have to make sense or even really be any good if you feel it. I don't really acknowledge the 2010 version of it, although that version probably could've been a good single had SOA actually happened (minus the "You wanna kill me, and I wanna die" line.)

There are parts I really like on the 360 version, but I hate how it just kinda leaps into the chorus (it desperately needs the "ripping the stitches" bit). Also, neither version's chorus is particularly interesting, IMO--they both kinda feel like placeholders for something the band could never get quite right. It's a song with strong potential, but I'm always a little underwhelmed when listening to what we have; I feel it sets the stage for something great, but ultimately never gets there.

...and this is the last goddamn time I'm going to talk about Mercy lol

Sent from my SM-G935T using U2 Interference mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom