SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
songs always take you time-travelling back to a place... The Joshua Tree, without fail, takes me back to the 80s, to those feelings...

oh man, seriously, didn't they just see a guy called Dr Emmet Brown recently or something? what the actual fuck? :ohmy:

There is zero relevance in touring a 30 year old album. Write a good song, or a few, about the current state of affairs though, and we might be getting there...

I could see Trump being part of the reasons for delays, absolutely. It was clear they were riled up with those versions of Desire and Bullet (Iheartradio festival and Dreamfest), and it might have crept up in SOE.

I hope they follow through with the promise though and give us SOE in 2017.

Relevance is fast becoming one of those 'nothing' words like visceral.

Conspiracy theory: Bono is too afraid to lose Republican support for his charity efforts so the political side of the music has been compromised.

Side note: If U2 is concerning themselves with the political realities of 2017, they should dust off "The Refugee."

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Conspiracy theory: Bono is too afraid to lose Republican support for his charity efforts so the political side of the music has been compromised.

FAKE news! Sad!

Here is that omitted verse from "The Little Things That Give You Away":

Just stay out of my way
Or you'll pay
Listen to what I say
Hey, why don't I just go eat some hay
Make things out of clay
Lay by the bay
I just may
What'd ya say?

Hahahahaha!!!

Shooter McGaven!

From a new Nick Cave interview:

"I’m a lyric writer,” he says. “That’s the thing that I’m naturally predisposed to doing. But writing lyrics that are true, or at least authentic, is hard. It’s tough. It’s always difficult. Increasingly difficult, I would say. The words make greater demands on you as you get older. You understand that if you write a substandard lyric, or an inauthentic lyric, it’s not going to go away. It’s gonna come after you and haunt you every day of your life. So there is a lot of anxiety there. Your work becomes the measure of you. Not your past achievements, but the last song you have written. It shouldn’t be that way, but it is. And the pressure gets greater the more songs you write. But the actual music, though, all the recording and rehearsing and playing the music live, this is all just joyful."

I wonder if Bono feels the same way.

Noticed that greater interest in this tour than the last one?

There's your relevance.

Exactly. Album sales of the Joshua Tree remaster have skyrocketed this week too. People who stopped listening to U2 in the 90's are now telling me they can't wait to get tickets for the JT anniversary shows. There is your relevance. What's old is new again.

"I’m a lyric writer,” he says. “That’s the thing that I’m naturally predisposed to doing. But writing lyrics that are true, or at least authentic, is hard. It’s tough. It’s always difficult. Increasingly difficult, I would say. The words make greater demands on you as you get older. You understand that if you write a substandard lyric, or an inauthentic lyric, it’s not going to go away. It’s gonna come after you and haunt you every day of your life. So there is a lot of anxiety there. Your work becomes the measure of you. Not your past achievements, but the last song you have written. It shouldn’t be that way, but it is. And the pressure gets greater the more songs you write. But the actual music, though, all the recording and rehearsing and playing the music live, this is all just joyful."

That's heavy, heavy as a truck.

I doubt it. I think he's more concerned with the quantity of people that like the work than the work itself. And if he was really worried about bad or inauthentic lyrics we'd have been spared many of the horrors of the 00s. SOI has some pretty good lyrics though, so maybe he always cared but was just pretty bad for a while (mainly on songs that were designed to be hitz, not songs).

Seeing people trying to get tickets that I would never have thought would want to see U2, if the plan was to get people back on side then I think this has a huge chance of working if done right

I doubt it. I think he's more concerned with the quantity of people that like the work than the work itself.

Somehow I doubt that. First off, how can you write for a large amount of people in the first place? It's not as simple as writing "I took a walk in the park one day" vs. "Let's all party'til the dawn" or whatever else. There's absolutely no clear cut way to measure that.

Unless he's writing lyrics like Timbaland or R&B acts all of a sudden, I don't think it's a whole heck of a lot different from how he and others did it in the first place. Writing a song is hard enough, and if you find yourself forcing something to make it sound a certain way for a certain crowd, it's probably not going to sound good to anyone. So I can see what Cave means in that quote there. The fact that some people on here don't like some of the lyrics he's written in the past at all areas should be enough to show that you can't please anyone.

Original working sketch:

The Little Bastard That I Gave Away (Leo's Song):

"That night gave us a son,
a light had been turned on,
You walked out in the Chilean night
like you belonged there
As easy as a breeze,
my body was yours to please
Is it only me who sees there’s something strong here
It’s the little things that make you wanna play
The words you cannot say
Your big mouth full all the way
It’s the little things that conceal and betray
Has the hunter now planted his seed in the hay
It’s the little things, the little things
That make you wanna sway
I saw you on the stairs
You asked me to your room
Cos you were busy creating life with me
Not to be supported by me
You were high above the storm
A little bastard being born
But this freedom, it still left you in poverty
That's cause I slinked out and ran away
The words I will never say (hi son)
The hunter has left the continent today
It’s the little things, the little things that make me stay away"

Last edited:
Exactly. Album sales of the Joshua Tree remaster have skyrocketed this week too. People who stopped listening to U2 in the 90's are now telling me they can't wait to get tickets for the JT anniversary shows. There is your relevance. What's old is new again.

Yeah, currently #17 and #26 on the itunes charts for remaster and regular

Noticed that greater interest in this tour than the last one?

There's your relevance.

100% ,the joshua is way more relevant now then no line on the horizon and songs of innocence combined.

100% ,the joshua is way more relevant now then no line on the horizon and songs of innocence combined.

Now we're just getting carried away.

There is a TON of relevance in touring this album...No. 1: Fans love the old stuff - No. 2: The old stuff is good - No. 3: U2 screwed up the SOI release and came across as old and out of touch...so here's their 'olive branch' and self-awareness all wrapped up and dropped on your doorstep. People I know who HATED SOI are asking me if I can pick up tickets for them.

There's your real relevance...:yes:

Original working sketch:

The Little Bastard That I Gave Away (Leo's Song):

"That night gave us a son,
a light had been turned on,
You walked out in the Chilean night
like you belonged there
As easy as a breeze,
my body was yours to please
Is it only me who sees there’s something strong here
It’s the little things that make you wanna play
The words you cannot say
Has the hunter now planted his seed in the hay
It’s the little things, the little things
That make you wanna sway
I saw you on the stairs
You asked me to your room
Cos you were busy creating life with me
Not to be supported by me
You were high above the storm
A little bastard being born
But this freedom, it still left you in poverty
That's cause I slinked out and ran away
The words I will never say (hi son)
The hunter has left the continent today
It’s the little things, the little things that make me stay away"

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

A new classic is, uhh, born.

People I know who HATED SOI are asking me if I can pick up tickets for them.

So, are folks here predicting that come early next week 2nd shows will be added in as many markets as logistically possible?

While it's nice to note the potential for renewed interest from long ago fans who disliked the SOI / Apple debacle, swiping one's credit card and talking about it are two different things.

Alas I did succumb: when my wife suggested a kid-free, 500 mile road trip to Chicago on a Saturday night in early June sounded like fun, my pre-sale code was put to quick use.

So, are folks here predicting that come early next week 2nd shows will be added in as many markets as logistically possible?

While it's nice to note the potential for renewed interest from long ago fans who disliked the SOI / Apple debacle, swiping one's credit card and talking about it are two different things.

Alas I did succumb: when my wife suggested a kid-free, 500 mile road trip to Chicago on a Saturday night in early June sounded like fun, my pre-sale code was put to quick use.

I'm guessing the fact it's stadium gigs and the re-entrance of TJT onto iTunes charts are just flukes then?

Now we're just getting carried away.

There is a TON of relevance in touring this album...No. 1: Fans love the old stuff - No. 2: The old stuff is good - No. 3: U2 screwed up the SOI release and came across as old and out of touch...so here's their 'olive branch' and self-awareness all wrapped up and dropped on your doorstep. People I know who HATED SOI are asking me if I can pick up tickets for them.

Toatally my point, on my twitter people I never ever thought would be interested in seeing u2 have actually signed up to the website for presales, of u2 play this correctly then SOE could be a pretty big album imo

This may make people like U2 again?

Not to be a downer, but . . .

This morning I had a dream that Bono died during the Packers-Cowboy game. Adding salt to the wound, Joe Buck broke the news to the world.

They played 'With or Without You' as they went to commercial.

This morning I had a dream that Bono died during the Packers-Cowboy game. Adding salt to the wound, Joe Buck broke the news to the world.

Jesus! Haha

Geez, another album delay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom