SOE 17: Where The Album Has A Name - The Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too

I think it'll be listed as Lillywhite, Thomas and Barlow, not necessarily in that order. I'm told Tedder just sat in as a sort of consultant.

it's encouraging that there are fresh names in the mix.

To be honest I'm kind of relieved by that. I mean, I like the work he did with the band (the chorus to EBW, and I'm sure the catchier parts of Miracle were down to him), but I just think they can do better. I listened to the latest OneRepublic album, and none of the music was that special - it relied mainly on tried and tested formulas, some of which already sounded dated and overused, and it didn't even manage (imo) to do particularly well in that radio-friendly/safe box it defined for itself.

So, even if U2 do decide to go full-on commercial, i think they can do better.

I remember Barlow posting something on social media about working with U2 last summer, so he's been involved in the process for at least most of 2016, which is good news.

Lillywhite, Thomas and Barlow sounds like a much more potent mix :up:
Wonder how it will compare to SoI, sound wise.

To be honest I'm kind of relieved by that. I mean, I like the work he did with the band (the chorus to EBW, and I'm sure the catchier parts of Miracle were down to him), but I just think they can do better. I listened to the latest OneRepublic album, and none of the music was that special - it relied mainly on tried and tested formulas, some of which already sounded dated and overused, and it didn't even manage (imo) to do particularly well in that radio-friendly/safe box it defined for itself.

So, even if U2 do decide to go full-on commercial, i think they can do better.

I remember Barlow posting something on social media about working with U2 last summer, so he's been involved in the process for at least most of 2016, which is good news.

Lillywhite, Thomas and Barlow sounds like a much more potent mix :up:
Wonder how it will compare to SoI, sound wise.
Yeah the Tedder production lacks dynamics and "soul" to my ears. It may be an oxymoron to say it, but it just somehow sounds glossy and flat and the same time.

Folks have given Lillywhite some flack around here, but the guy helps them finished records, so power to him!

Yeah the Tedder production lacks dynamics and "soul" to my ears. It may be an oxymoron to say it, but it just somehow sounds glossy and flat and the same time.

Folks have given Lillywhite some flack around here, but the guy helps them finished records, so power to him!

I know what you mean. Though, with regards to SoI, it's hard to know how much of that is down to him vs the overall effects of recording with a bunch of different producers at different times.

(I appreciate that's just how they write - tearing everything to pieces and putting it back together to find the perfect song - which is why I like the idea of them doing this process in order to compose, but then re-recording everything in a simple, streamlined way to make it more like 4 guys in a room rather than 4 producers at a computer).

I'll always respect Lillywhite for his role in producing the band, especially given he was behind their first 3 albums. We may not get a song like it again, but New Year's Day was his production work!

I can't imagine anyone watching those awful 21P or Imagine Dragons performances and being impressed.

Color me impressed with twenty one pilots. They are just starting out and have tons of potential. Time will tell. Anyway I'd enjoy seeing them on tour with U2.

Color me impressed with twenty one pilots. They are just starting out and have tons of potential. Time will tell. Anyway I'd enjoy seeing them on tour with U2.

Their lyrics are pretty deep. Poppy derivative of Linkin Park/Eminem. They know how to write an anthem that gets an arena on their feet (Dare say a U2-gene splice in their Musical DNA)

The concert near me in January has been sold out for months.

Their lyrics are pretty deep. Poppy derivative of Linkin Park/Eminem. They know how to write an anthem that gets an arena on their feet (Dare say a U2-gene splice in their Musical DNA)

The concert near me in January has been sold out for months.

Could you give me 2 or 3 songs of theirs to listen to? I've had a listen on youtube and been impressed enough by their talent but unimpressed by their songs...

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

That.... was..... the...... joke.........

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I... know. Don't... have... anything... better... to... do

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

I can't imagine anyone watching those awful 21P or Imagine Dragons performances and being impressed.

took my kids to see twenty one pilots a few months back, and they were great.They reminded me a ton of U2 20 years ago. Great live show, they make it a huge spectacle.

Not way TOP is opening for u2 (unless maybe if they are huge fans). Like it or not TOP is a much bigger band than U2 right now in the US. There is no reason for them to open for anyone in the US.

Could you give me 2 or 3 songs of theirs to listen to? I've had a listen on youtube and been impressed enough by their talent but unimpressed by their songs...

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

Heathens, Ode to Sleep, Migraine

I like what i've heard on the radio from 21 Pilots. However, i watched the first 2 minutes of this video and i thought you were joking. I thought the singer was slightly "different" than most and his voice was so bad. Perhaps i am missing something.

We first get a Joshua Tree tour... then there will be SOE. Remember there was a track on the deluxe version of JT (2007) that is called ' Beautiful Ghost, Introduction to Songs of Experience '....

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

TOP recently did an EP with Mutemath. I highly recommend checking it out.

Someone over at the @u2 forum alluded U2 have a Joshua Tree b-side called Beautiful Ghost - Introduction To Songs Of Experience...

Surely this implies TJT shows will segue into a live SOE release? :hyper:

The song is called that because the lyrics are lifted from the William Blake poem Introduction to Songs of Experience.

Yeah. It sounds like it's post 00-era Bono singing over a preexisting instrumental track.
My guess is they added the poem lyrics and vocal in 2004 to the track called Beautiful Ghost.

I just think it's tempting to think they might use this with the release of SOE somehow

Yeah. It sounds like it's post 00-era Bono singing over a preexisting instrumental track.
My guess is they added the poem lyrics and vocal in 2004 to the track called Beautiful Ghost.

I just think it's tempting to think they might use this with the release of SOE somehow

I agree with your first assumption...second one, not so much...:no:

Tickets for this JT30 tour and/or SOE tour are going to be harder to get than the last few tours. In the last two days I've had three people asking to keep an eye out for tickets for them. None of them have been to a show in the last three tours. This is all on the back of the JT element of any said tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom