SOE 17: Where The Album Has A Name - The Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmmnn... it's been a while I've been here, yet, nothing has changed: a new album is always late :lol:.

I think they should release a single or two and start playing in these new concerts and release the new album by the end of the year.

Well, I hope there's a new album sometime this year, or a South American tour is at risk if there's none.

we are believing too much crap that has no credibility at this pt.

I agree. I love all the chatter, but who knows.
I gotta say that a retread of a proper JT song seems ill-advised.

The B-sides of JT were good, but B-sides for a reason. So hauling one of those out and retooling seems odd too.

I'm just not liking the whole SOE being delayed talk. But in the big scheme of things, if they do a really successful, limited JT anniversary stadium run, getting people thinking of U2 who haven't really thought about them in a while, and then release SOE, it may be a good springboard into the new material.

If they had to go back and score a redo, I'd wager on RHMT. They couldn't nail a live arrangement that they liked during rehearsals. It was so close to being a single back then too. That video! They may of felt that it was a missed opportunity.

I was just going to post that I'm unthrilled about the idea of a remix/re-release of a JT single, but ....

If they had to go back and score a redo, I'd wager on RHMT. They couldn't nail a live arrangement that they liked during rehearsals. It was so close to being a single back then too. That video! They may of felt that it was a missed opportunity.

... that would actually be a decent idea. They could rearrange it and drop the key (which, let's face it, they're going to have to do if the 'full album' theory about the mini-tour is correct).

:up:

my vote would be for Silver and Gold, but nobody fucking asked me :grumpy:

:up:

Very excited about all of this. Don't care about the JT pandering if it means SOE is on the horizon. (which it undoubtedly is) Also excited to see the Joshua Tree "aesthetic" return... there is something magical about it that has yet to be recaptured in terms of their artwork/imagery, etc. Definitely want a physical copy of whatever single they re-release. (if they do that)

Last edited:
Sorry to throw cold water on this again, but I can't believe more people aren't pissed about SOE. The chances are that it will not come out this year if they focus on the JT thing. Bono still has time to write 5,829 more songs.

Sorry to throw cold water on this again, but I can't believe more people aren't pissed about SOE. The chances are that it will not come out this year if they focus on the JT thing. Bono still has time to write 5,829 more songs.

why would anyone be pissed before they even know what's going on?

I'm reserving my anger or lack thereof until there's an official announcement as to what the deal is...

you'd expect some sort of message about SOE at the eventual press conference...

Bono lies and all, but he specifically mentioned Songs of Experience in 2017 in the same video as the JT shows, which are apparently getting announced very shortly.

If we have some JT shows to hold us over until SOE later this year then... awesome?

Huh? They said it's coming out this year. I know "Bono lies" and everything but between that and a whole host of other "sources" / info I'm not worried about it.

This, again! I will be mighty missed, if indeed this comes to pass. Whatever way they cut it or sell it, it will be soooo lame. I'll still go see a JT show though! Man up the 2 and get SOE out asap.

why would anyone be pissed before they even know what's going on?

I'm reserving my anger or lack thereof until there's an official announcement as to what the deal is...

you'd expect some sort of message about SOE at the eventual press conference...

Yeah, we'll see if they say anything in the press conference. Should be interesting.

Maybe I should rephrase, I'm surprised more people aren't in a panic over the fact that U2 is going to potentially sit on the album until Q4, which in my opinion, only enhances the risk of them 2nd guessing and tweaking it to where they eventually back out.

SOE is probably all done. Why embark on this whole new project TJT tour to put more on your plate?

U2 sees Bruce going out and playing whole albums on different nights. Quite genius. TJT anniversary is coming up. Let's do a mini-tour right before the big one.

We release SOE on the exact 30th Anniversary . . . March 9th. Throw a few new songs into the JT30 Setlist. Maximize the buzz, hit critical mass for the main tour.

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed. If the album is indeed done but we've got to wait until sep/oct/november because of an anniversary mini tour, well, then, that really sucks. And yeah, there is that danger that it'll give them time to second guess things and delay the album if it is done, or that concentrating on JT will prevent them getting SoE done if it isn't already.

But i've seen a shitload of rumours today - that SoE is finished, potential tour dates, remixed JT single, that SoE isn't finished, that JT shows will be in march and summer dates are actually for I&E, that we may see a single late jan and album in march... clearly many of these contradict each other.

Headache's got a point - let's at least wait and see what's announced at the press conference on monday. At least some of this might be cleared up.

Having said that, RD was right about JT anniversary shows, and seems to be right about a JT remix single, so I'm fairly confident in what he has to say, and his prediction of SoE being toward the end of the year makes me pretty sure that's what will happen. We'll know more by monday, i guess.

I'm still a bit perplexed as to the fact that they're still going with the idea of Innocence and Experience tour when the innocence part has been over for so long now..too much of a gap.

Last edited:
If you're interested in going, then it really isn't that lame now is it?

Yes it is, much prefer to see SOE at least involved alongside a JT tour. Who wouldn't go and see a JT show? Doesn't mean it's not a poor second to delaying or ditching SOE.

I totally get the desire to celebrate the JT on its anniversary, whether that be for artistic reasons on U2's part or commercial ones on Livenations part. And I have no doubt it will be pretty cool. If it does happen this way it will bug me that a new album has been sidelined for quite a while. This won't be like the remastered 80s albums which didn't really involve too much band involvement, apart from Edge. This will divert the whole band for a fair chunk of the year.

All ifs, buts and maybes at this stage though as nothing has been announced. Should be a good year though one way or the other.

Last edited:
I talked to a friend who works for the law firm that represents U2 and he said that June 24th (a Saturday) is confirmed for a MetLife stadium show. There will be another, not sure if it'll be the following weekend or a few days before or after.

Please no. I leave on vacation that day..... For Ireland... :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom