SOE 14: The Morning after Meltdown - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2016, 06:14 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 11:06 AM
SOE 14: The Morning after Meltdown

What just happened?

Well, a 40-year-old band took the stage in front of a mostly young-ish audience in what was a gift-wrapped promotion opportunity, and proceeded to bang out a greatest hits set. No new songs, no The Best Thing. Not even a mention. Oh, except that before the set Bono told the DJ that new album will be out next year.....

Cue Interference meltdown, which truly did take place as the previous thread went nearly 500 posts overboard.

Dreamforce is coming up in October. Do we do it all over again, or are fans too jaded? Some have been divorcing U2, parting ways. They have been labelled a dinosaur act. I personally don't know what to think except that to the rest of the world this was a non-event. U2 played what they are famous for. And yes, to us die-hards it was a golden opportunity that they wasted, but as far as album delays go, did they actually say they would release it in 2016 and if not does releasing in 2017 qualify as a delay? Maybe no new music isn't a sign of them backing out, maybe they have a plan. Maybe this is SOA 2.

At any rate, let's keep the fire burning people. Precious little else to do than speculate and drive each other crazy.

What we know so far:

- In the week leading up to iHeart Bono told Charlie Rose they are trying to whittle down 16 songs to 10 or 12 to fit the album. Also said they would tour next year.

- A third-person rumour, which is increasingly being quoted as fact by some, has Dallas Schoo saying to fans outside the venue on the eve of the iHeart gig that U2 could not get it together to play new songs.

- The Best Thing was first heard as a beach clip and then a remixed version played by DJ Kygo at a performance, which was quickly taken down.

- Also, other DJs including DJ Khaleed have reportedly been given tracks to remix.

Have fun guys

Old 09-24-2016, 06:28 AM   #2
Refugee

Btw, I was being as neutral as possible for the sake of the opening post of a new thread. But I am genuinely, supremely disappointed. Was one of those almost expecting a new song, if not at least some sort of release to iHeart.

Now my life has no meaning.

Well, it does. I mean, I am still hungry. I would like food even if U2 don't release anything ever again, but

seriously, no meaning

Old 09-24-2016, 06:29 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 07:06 AM
There have been some genuine meltdowns over this, which I find to be quite hilarious.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:34 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:06 PM
U2 place also had a source saying, according to Dallas, U2 were rehearsing a new song...maybe they can get it right for the Dreamforce show. There is still time for a new single this year and an album in Spring. Don't panic.

As for croaked voice. It's the desert - he also sounded weak on Popmart and JT tour opening, and he rarely sounds great on these promo one-offs.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:34 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:06 AM
I suspect we'll know more about the last few weeks of this band's mindset by next week.

Should be plenty of loose lips in Dublin for u240
Old 09-24-2016, 06:34 AM   #6
Refugee

Right?

Genuine being the operative word. Dude, believe me, I am so so disappointed (mostly because I near expected a new song) but not enough to question my decades-long fanhood. We knew what we were getting into, if not from the start then definitely by NLOTH.

Anyway, I am sure many of those guys will come around after a night's sleep and the inevitable acceptance. But this scar will remain. Move over Invisible/Superbowl.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:35 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:06 PM
Yeah, I mean - of course it is disappointing. I think this confirms the serious doubts people here have about their judgement and confidence with this stuff. The rather large caveat is that we haven't heard the album, and maybe they are right to hold back. This doesn't accord with things we've heard from Ryan Tedder, Jo Whiley etc.

Either way, the impetuousness of throwing the toys out of the cot, and 'divorcing' the band over this is incredibly pathetic. Beyond pathetic. If in your eyes this turns them into the Rolling Stones (still a long way off IMHO), or into a dinosaur act, then great - enjoy the music we've had and move on. If it tarnishes their legacy, then that is your own childishness. To let these events impact the way you feel about their catalogue of work is just crazy.

Let's hope tempers cool down over the next few weeks.

Signed, a monumentally disappointed, yet not particularly surprised fan.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:37 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:06 AM
I'm really dissapointed but I m a huuuuuge fan. The rest of the world probably loved the performance
Old 09-24-2016, 06:38 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Registered Dude View Post
I suspect we'll know more about the last few weeks of this band's mindset by next week.

Should be plenty of loose lips in Dublin for u240
I am really interested to hear just what happened. I tend to think that the band themselves are at serious odds over the readiness of the material.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:39 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Best decision of the year! By that I mean me going to be and not staying up to listen to the show

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 09-24-2016, 06:44 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

At least the crowd sounded like they enjoyed it

Old 09-24-2016, 07:00 AM   #12
Refugee

Well this makes Invisible seem like a masterstroke.

Probably the most pointless concert they have ever played. Not expecting any more from Dreamforce.

They aren't natural musicians, never have been, and this is catching up with them now. Time to shut it down.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:01 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I don't want to toot my own horn, because I'm extremely disappointed. But everything that happened is exactly what I said would happen, it's almost scary. From to Bono saying the album would be out in 2017, down to even the set list choices almost identically matches what i said. Many people on here disagreed with me, some even lashed out at me.

I went to bed knowing full well that I would wake up to this. This band just make poor decisions, it's that simple. I do fully believe they intended to release something this week, and that this was to be the kickoff for SOE. But in typical U2 fashion they got cold feet. But contracts were probably signed, and they had no option to cancel. I'd expect a slightly longer greatest hits set at Dreamforce, nothing else.

I admit, there was a small part of me that was hopeful yesterday that the band would prove me wrong.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:02 AM   #14
Refugee

Where Is The Video??!!

Missed the meltdown last night.

Is there really no video of their performance online anywhere??
Old 09-24-2016, 07:08 AM   #15
The Fly

Local Time: 01:06 PM
Someone said I was over reacting. I've now had almost 6 hours to digest. What I heard today was a legendary band giving a not that legendary performance. At times it was painful to listen. Will I buy (or stream) their next album? Sure. Will I go to another U2 gig? Probably. And only because of their legacy and the fact that they tend to have pretty awesome show. Nevertheless, U2's days of relevance are gone. They have become Rolling Stones. And I'm actually really sad because of it. I would even say that their 40th anniversary would be a perfect time to call it a day... quit when you're winning.