SOE 14: The Morning after Meltdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But I'm sure once the time comes U2's brute force promotion will kick in and not debuting anything last night won't even matter.

cause "u2's brute force promotion" did such a great job making NLOTH and SOI into huuuuuuge hits. they should definitely keep doing the same thing that hasn't worked at all the last two times.

This. I'm betting that we'll receive a "We've written new songs and we want to see where they'll take us" probably around next March when everyone is wondering where the heck the album is.

Guessing late 2018/early 2019 and the album is titled something completely different.

I was wondering about this. I could easily see them planning to spend an extra 1/2/3 months on polishing, editing, finishing etc, but because they like to tinker so much, they end up writing and recording entirely new stuff, which in turn needs to be polished, re-written, re-recorded with different arrangements, and takes them another year or two to finish. I.E. the entire process could start again. And if they did start writing new material, it would be with new concepts, meaning a new album.

I think it'll be really telling what happens in the next couple of months. If we hear they're still mixing, wrapping up, then great. If they're back in the studio, and talk about needing a change in direction, or your line about writing new songs and wanting to pursue them, then SoE is fucked.

If the rumours were true that they couldn't get final mixing done, and couldn't learn the songs live yet, then it's annoying if because of industry practice everything has to be delayed by 3-4 months into spring. If they only need another month of mixing, it would suck if the album could be done for December but has to go into February/March anyway. And it's all that extra spare time in which they have free-reign to mess around as much as they like, that is what runs the risk of them getting carried away and deciding to begin new studio sessions rather than complete what the have.

Last edited:
After watching some of the performances i have changed my opinion on several things; one of which is i am leaving America because America sucks. Also, U2 sucks and should retire. They don't just suck they are terrible and they suck. And they have no balls, probably because they are old and they are terrible and they suck.

And finally - i have cracked the ultimate code - finally. All has been revealed to me once again while some of you were sleeping. I know the true identity of the chosen one as well as the chosen ones who are out to stop them. It's not as easy as you think but it's out there in the fog with the drowning sun.

Yesterday i got out of a car, a little car that takes me about from here to there. In front of the places we would go, a hole in the wall with a nice patio on a breezy day, i couldn't decide which shoes to wear. I had old shoes and young shoes from which to choose. As i pondered this dilemna from my grand entrance, a flash in the sky followed by a massive thrust reaching into my chest cavity stopped my beating heart. Overhead a massive low flying red and blue triangular shaped craft was descending upon us.

A hundred feet off of the ground or so this star chaser seemed to hover like a giant patriotic concord from mars. I saw them in the windows looking down on me, their angular heads and dopey eyes staring directly at me. As they hovered the thrust was elevated and the afterburners sort of kicked in, setting fire to everything aft of them on the ground.

Suddenly i no longer cared which shoes i would wear as my destination was about to be cooked. I hopped back into the little car and we sped away from the city that was about to be ruins, sped away to the awful country side in hopes the giant triangles would not follow us. But of course they did. And there were several more of the low flying beasts that were igniting fires in their brisk wake.

We can only outrun them as long as we had clear road ahead of us to do so. Once we ran out of that....we are living on borrowed time. Taking chances, finding a new path, or trail, shaking it up, none of these things are what we do anymore. Sure it worked when we were kids fighting for crumbs, but today is a different world and we are so set in our shellfish ways. And our alien dreams. Set so that our dreams often make more sense than reality. And that only bugs me when i have to wake up.

Last edited:
This place has turned toxic, which is a massive shame

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well ... if the Tour continues in Q1 early Q2 2017 .. they better have SOE ready. If they continue the Tour with the iNNOCENCE setlist / concept that would be quite lame .. I can't (well I actually do) see that coming.

This place has turned toxic, which is a massive shame

It's always like this when U2 does odd things. They've had 8 years now of teasing quick follow up albums, working hard in the studio, and this time is different....all we seem to get is vacation photos from them.

I'd actually be less annoyed if they used social media to document their recording experience. Instead the perception is they really like art and food.

They are still my favorite band, but they are by far the most frustrating group to follow....

And it's starting to feel like their time as a band is done. They are so very close to Rolling Stones status

Well ... if the Tour continues in Q1 early Q2 2017 .. they better have SOE ready. If they continue the Tour with the iNNOCENCE setlist / concept that would be quite lame .. I can't (well I actually do) see that coming.

They won't tour without SOE

I've seen talk of U2 turning into a Rolling Stones-type band because of how slow they are at releasing new music, as well as the reliance on old hits at iHeart. And I can understand the frustration.

But I just wanted to acknowledge that they've repeatedly pushed back the next step of the I&E tour in order to work on new music. Considering the opposite was the case last time - where they tried to release new music during the 360 tour, but actions were clearly dictated by already set tour dates, and they ended up opening their shows with older tunes - they're actually doing better right now, even if we don't have new music yet. They've shown repeatedly this year that they're prioritising new music over touring old music.

I've seen talk of U2 turning into a Rolling Stones-type band because of how slow they are at releasing new music, as well as the reliance on old hits at iHeart. And I can understand the frustration.

But I just wanted to acknowledge that they've repeatedly pushed back the next step of the I&E tour in order to work on new music. Considering the opposite was the case last time - where they tried to release new music during the 360 tour, but actions were clearly dictated by already set tour dates, and they ended up opening their shows with older tunes - they're actually doing better right now, even if we don't have new music yet. They've shown repeatedly this year that they're prioritising new music over touring old music.

Spot on

I gotta be honest, I love how overtly political they are being right now. It's one thing to do that at the show, but another to blast out that specific clip across their social media channels.

Like I've said before I love u2 and nothing will change that I will always be a fan. I just get a tad anoyed when they claim to have an album soon (like Bono did right after the SOI release) or when they said that SOA was ready for release until one day Paul M said nope no SOA. It gets you excited then you have to wait 3-5 years more before It actually happens. If they just didn't say anything or tease us with that possibility I would be more than happy.

Last edited:
And in terms of letting the fans know of their progress, they keep us in the dark all then time. I understand they don't owe us nothing at all and it may sound very selfish of us to expect them to. But when you see so many bands giving all kinds of info on their album progress or for example when you see bands like rhcp release their studio session songs like they did in their second last album, u2 could easily do something like that as well and keep everyone happy. Instead we just get the odd bonoism like the next album is punk rock on Venus or we are waiting for God to enter the studio, I can understand why so many fans can be frustrated.

Last edited:
They also said that SOE would be out 18 months after SOI. We're on month 24.

As far as delays go, that really isn't too bad for U2. I'm thinking we see SOE first quarter of next year and then a tour. I think they're much further than most in here suspect, but there's something holding them back from releasing; either tour coordination, format, or something personal(I have a feeling Larry's not 100% on board these days).

Yeah idk anymore but knowing u2 SOE could certainly turn into an SOA situation and now the idea of an album in 2020 doesn't seem all the far fetched lol.

If they announce a tour leg next year without an album in tow, then I'll probably agree. But until then, I probably won't get too worked up about it. I've said it before, but SOI is only two years old, and by all accounts there are pretty strong hints that they want to finish SOE. At this point in the NLOTH wait, there were 2 or 3 different projects that were talked about and nothing was coming out of it. At least at this point, there's still an indication for one album being worked on and connected to the tour, which hasn't ended yet.

Mostly agree. I don't think anything will compare to the post-NLOTH wait, secrecy and constant talk of new music during that point. But we've had every indication that they're still working on new things during these past two years. I certainly don't expect them to work on music non-stop, since there's such a thing as "burn out" and listening to things with fresh ears and all that.

So does anyone know what U2 is contractually obligated to do now or in the next few years?

I realize contracts can be broken, re-negotiated, adjusted and such, but is U2 on the hook for an album or album(s) -- and is there any 'format' rules -- i.e. one album of greatest hits, two albums of new material?

It could help decipher what's next.

Even if SOE came out in fall of 17, it would still be the quickest turn around since Zooropa.

My favorite reaction to their Trump gunning is "I've always loved U2, but this...."

It's a good method of filtering. Their international fans (and their rational American fans) will probably love them even more.

So does anyone know what U2 is contractually obligated to do now or in the next few years?

I realize contracts can be broken, re-negotiated, adjusted and such, but is U2 on the hook for an album or album(s) -- and is there any 'format' rules -- i.e. one album of greatest hits, two albums of new material?

It could help decipher what's next.

Far as I understood it (and someone can correct me), they aren't on the hook for any albums, period.

They're only contracted to Live Nation for any tours they decide to undertake until...what was it, 2020? I forget.

Point being, they can release or not release anything they want, whenever they want.

I can understand why a lot of non u2 people despise Bono. I would be bloody pissed off as well if a foreigner comes into my country and tells me who I should vote for. Stick to the music Bono and enough with the preaching - most of us are over it.

I'll gladly tell Bono to piss off about America when America decides to piss off from the rest of us. The world needs more of what U2 does, and has done for the last 40 years. I hear it all the time: "Shut up and sing!" "Shut up and sing!" That's all that most people seem to want music to be these days; there's tones and words coming out of your mouth and there's music playing, but you're not actually saying anything. That pisses me off.

I'll gladly tell Bono to piss off about America when America decides to piss off from the rest of us. The world needs more of what U2 does, and has done for the last 40 years. I hear it all the time: "Shut up and sing!" "Shut up and sing!" That's all that most people seem to want music to be these days; there's tones and words coming out of your mouth and there's music playing, but you're not actually saying anything. That pisses me off.

You see the same thing with people telling athletes to "shut up and play" in response to protests regarding the anthem, racial injustice, etc. It's pretty easy to spot a pattern.

I agree with Bono! Trump getting elected not only effects the us but the whole world! He is a scary guy and I have no problem voicing my opinion even if I don't live in the USA! So I don't get this whole attitude you are not in the USA so butt out! And like mentioned here the USA gets involved in all kinds of world affairs so it's a two way road!

If they announce a tour leg next year without an album in tow, then I'll probably agree. But until then, I probably won't get too worked up about it. I've said it before, but SOI is only two years old, and by all accounts there are pretty strong hints that they want to finish SOE. At this point in the NLOTH wait, there were 2 or 3 different projects that were talked about and nothing was coming out of it. At least at this point, there's still an indication for one album being worked on and connected to the tour, which hasn't ended yet.

Mostly agree. I don't think anything will compare to the post-NLOTH wait, secrecy and constant talk of new music during that point. But we've had every indication that they're still working on new things during these past two years. I certainly don't expect them to work on music non-stop, since there's such a thing as "burn out" and listening to things with fresh ears and all that.
That is my hope but with U2 you just never know! I hope you are right and they don't get cold feet on SOE but the longer time passes the more chances for them to rework songs and or start over because they are not happy with the current songs. Time will tell I guess.

I made the horrible, horrible mistake of reading the comments when they posted the Desire clip on their Facebook page.

Funniest thing I read was that U2 was going to lose half their US fans over this.

LOLing forever.

cause "u2's brute force promotion" did such a great job making NLOTH and SOI into huuuuuuge hits. they should definitely keep doing the same thing that hasn't worked at all the last two times.

Well, they'll still promo. That's what they do.

Yeah, desire was pretty awesome. The rest nothing outstanding, all the crowd seemed to dig pride and one. Didn't watch elevation or ebw.

Question: Did they say at any time that the new album would be out this year?

I remember saying that the only way I would feel a little disappointed in them is if they didn't release an album this year. But now, post-meltdown I am looking back with a bit of doubt at what I led myself to believe as opposed to what information is actually out there.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

Bono, Charlie Rose interview :

Rose: Take Songs Of Experience. How many songs have you written?

Bono: We have 16 songs on the cooker. We have to boil it down to 10 or 12. We'd rather it be 10, but it'll probably be 12.

And later...

Rose: A couple points of business -- when is the album coming out? Songs Of Experience.

Bono: Only God and Edge know. [laughter]

Rose: But there will be a tour --

Bono: He's a perfectionist!

Rose: I know, but there will be a tour in 2017, yes?

Bono: Yes. Emmm ... yes. Yes, Charlie, there will be!

And this tweet with info from Joe O Herlihy

https://twitter.com/joe_ahorro/status/779576518620028928

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom