SOE 14: The Morning after Meltdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my god, that's awesome.

Looks like they just learned they have fans who support Trump. I'd be bummed out, too.

I agree with Bono! Trump getting elected not only effects the us but the whole world! He is a scary guy and I have no problem voicing my opinion even if I don't live in the USA! So I don't get this whole attitude you are not in the USA so butt out! And like mentioned here the USA gets involved in all kinds of world affairs so it's a two way road!

I'll first say that anyone who votes for Trump is a fool and a racist and will be responsible for a possible extinction-level event should he be elected (I don't think he will be). And of course everyone can have an opinion about anything they want, and a country as seemingly all-powerful in all aspects of human endeavor -- good and bad and otherwise -- is going to draw lots of strong opinions, especially as it does not have the luxury of being a small country that can easily opt out of any sort of responsibility in global affairs.

My issue isn't so much people weighing in, but it would be nice if people on the outside realized better that domestic politics, culture, history, regionalism, etc., are all quite complex and difficult to understand even when you live here, and likely impossible from the outside. It's not so much you can't have an opinion, but it would be nice if there were some tempering of let ME tell YOU what's wrong with YOUR COUNTRY. That's going to be 1) incomplete, and, 2) inspire a "who the fuck do you think you are?" reaction in a lot of people.

I'll first say that anyone who votes for Trump is a fool and a racist and will be responsible for a possible extinction-level event should he be elected (I don't think he will be). And of course everyone can have an opinion about anything they want, and a country as seemingly all-powerful in all aspects of human endeavor -- good and bad and otherwise -- is going to draw lots of strong opinions, especially as it does not have the luxury of being a small country that can easily opt out of any sort of responsibility in global affairs.

My issue isn't so much people weighing in, but it would be nice if people on the outside realized better that domestic politics, culture, history, regionalism, etc., are all quite complex and difficult to understand even when you live here, and likely impossible from the outside. It's not so much you can't have an opinion, but it would be nice if there were some tempering of let ME tell YOU what's wrong with YOUR COUNTRY. That's going to be 1) incomplete, and, 2) inspire a "who the fuck do you think you are?" reaction in a lot of people.

We are deplorable

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Make America Great Again!......... although it never has been great.

anyone who votes for Trump is a fool and a racist

dude, come on. cut this shit out.

It's not so much you can't have an opinion, but it would be nice if there were some tempering of let ME tell YOU what's wrong with YOUR COUNTRY. That's going to be 1) incomplete, and, 2) inspire a "who the fuck do you think you are?" reaction in a lot of people.

it's hilariously ironic when an american gets upset about outsiders meddling in their country's affairs or offering unfounded criticism about their country. i take it you've never lived in a foreign place that's a hot vacation spot for american tourists.

Last edited:
Recently visited my parents in Scotland and they're keen on Trump, I quickly put them in their place! The guy is an absolute disaster waiting to happen! Hillary has her flaws too but please America WAKEY WAKEY! Don't elect that doughnut!

Haha! Love that vid.

Have you guys seen this yet? Adam skype to the Cleveland party
https://www.periscope.tv/w/1ZkKzWeMgogGv

I'm surprised this thread hasn't erupted into another meltdown yet over this.

- Adam basically confirms Songs of Ascent is still in the pipeline, coming to us after SOE.
- Confirms the tour will resume next year, and seemed to indicate it'd be pretty widespread.
- Doesn't confirm nor deny SOE in 2017, just kind of laughs and says "each album takes longer than the last one", and that he "doesn't like the gaps"

Overall, very great to hear from him. He seems more direct than the other members would be (minus Larry, who wouldn't have done that interview in the first place).

Have you guys seen this yet? Adam skype to the Cleveland party
https://www.periscope.tv/w/1ZkKzWeMgogGv

Very cool! Thanks!! I've got a lazy Sunday ahead so I've watched a bit and wrote down some interesting nuggets:

-In the opening seconds Adam Clayton says the next album is "definitely Songs of Experience". So that may put some of the rampant speculation lately at ease..

-Dave Fanning asked if they're thinking of taking the next tour outdoors and Adam says they're waiting to see the reaction to these songs but he thinks in his heart the next tour is an indoor tour.

-Interestingly he also mentions Songs of Ascent is still a project in the works (but down the line) and thinks that those eventual songs will have them return to stadiums/outdoor gigs. Later on he says it is indeed in the pipeline and they will return to it at some point.

-Dave: "Any fights in the studio lately?" Adam: "No everyone's been getting along well. The usual musical fights, and what to have for dinner, etc but everyone's getting on"

-Dave asked about the Rick Rubin sessions from a few years back (around NLOTH) with a supposed full album done that never surfaced. He asked if parts of that might surface ahead or if they might be reused in the next release. Adam said parts of it might exist but we won't hear it in that form. They might take a riff or idea from it but if they were ever to record with Rick Rubin again, they would start from scratch.

-SOE feels like the end of a cycle for them. They don't think they'll be this intense in the future and after this cycle "it's wide open for us." Said something like in 4-5 years who knows where that might take them.

-They do want to continue the i+e tour around the world to parts they haven't been. Want to incorporate the SOE songs and hit a bunch more cities. They talked about 2017 as if it was certain. Adam said it'll be the same sort of production as we've seen but with new songs and in new cities.

-Dave asked about the gap between albums and said "the last cycle took 5.5 years between albums. The Beatles were only around for 7!" Adam and the crowd cracked up and he said "We obviously feel it's too long, it's just what seems to happen. Each record seems to take longer than the last."

-Dave grilled him at the end about hearing nothing new in 2016 while the band previously suggested it. "We were supposed to get something, we got NOTHING" and Adam nervously laughed and said "There is no certainty in life." End interview.

tl;dr: SOE is indeed the next album. SOA still in the pipeline, albeit years ahead. i+e tour likely staying indoors and seemingly continuing in 2017 in more cities/countries with same production plus SOE songs (so.. album beforehand?).

1) That birthday video is hilarious.

2) Those comments from Adam are promising. 2017 SOE with a big tour seems very likely to me. Bummer about it being pushed to 2016 but this is U2 after all.

3) Very interesting that he mentions Songs of Ascent being alive... honestly was not expecting that one. But I liked his comment about "it's wide open for us" ... that feels like what they should be doing from here on out. There shouldn't be some big pressure to make your album some huge, perfect event. If you have a collection of songs, slap them together and blast them out to your fans... I know that's something Adam has alluded to before and I'd love to see them go that way after SOE has made its rounds.

Last edited:
Jesus, I can't believe Songs of Ascent is still a thing. And the way he was talking I don't even want to contemplate how many years it will be until that.

If SOA is as described, my bet is that it's finished sitting on a shelf and they just didn't know what to do with it since it wasn't really the type of album they could tour. Now, who knows if they took any pieces of it for SOI or SOE. But ideally if they didn't take from it too much they could just release it after the tour to wrap up the trilogy and tide fans over during the long gap to the next one...

I wonder if God is Jimmy Iovine and how much his opinions on songs mean to Bono and Edge.

If SOA is as described, my bet is that it's finished sitting on a shelf and they just didn't know what to do with it since it wasn't really the type of album they could tour. Now, who knows if they took any pieces of it for SOI or SOE. But ideally if they didn't take from it too much they could just release it after the tour to wrap up the trilogy and tide fans over during the long gap to the next one...

Did Adam suggest that SOA songs might take them back into an outdoor/stadium-like environment? Sort of sounds odd if it was supposed to be a more ambient/ethereal accompaniment to the NLOTH album.

This. I'm betting that we'll receive a "We've written new songs and we want to see where they'll take us" probably around next March when everyone is wondering where the heck the album is.

Guessing late 2018/early 2019 and the album is titled something completely different.

THEN I'll proudly melt down.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom