INTERFERENCE.COM
U2 Fans, 'Zine, and More

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive




 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2001, 05:17 PM   #1
I serve MacPhisto
 
unforgettableFOXfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,053
Local Time: 04:34 AM
Society, why people piss me off... (profound)

Yesterday in computers class, I was listening to elevation on my headphones, the class was almost over, and the kids around me had turned off their rap, which mind you was VERY LOUD, to the point where I had to almost max out my volume so that it wouldnt contaminate my poor U2. Now, I unplugged my headphones after turning the volume down, but not so low that I couldnt hear it. I do so, bono comes out of the speakers, "Wooooo Ooo OH!" - the reaction from 3 people around me? "Turn that shit off", "Turn that garbage off", "What the fuck is that crap?".

This is the point of todays society? Where its all well and good to listen to what you want, but then not let someone else listen to what they want? Its these same people who were bashing my friend's Tchiakofsky and other classical music. I ask you, of all this rap, what will be around 300 years from now? I can almost garuntee you that none of it will be. BUT nonetheless, these retards have to bitch about how the music me and my friend listen to is crap. Well heres news for you, classical music is classical because its been around for SO FUCKING LONG. If it was so "crappy" we wouldnt be listening to it nowadays, because it wouldnt have lasted at all. Just like the new coke isnt around now, it was crap so people boycotted it and it dissapeared. If classical music was such crap, why would it have lasted this long? people would have ignored it and it would have dissapeared.

Same goes for rap. They sell out to the kids of today, the young and impressionable, selling poor values, sex, drugs, violence, things generally taboo to kids. Kids, in defiance, pick these things up and generally change their morals to be corrupt as those presented by the artists. So, Im sitting here, as they are total hypocrits, calling my music crappy, but not having fortitude enough to take criticisms without being complete morons 'well it just sucks, what the hell is that yelling? its dumb' hmmm correct me if im wrong, but what the hell sense does that make? Thats neither, a, a justification, or b, a good thing to say if you dont want me to explode at you. yelling = dumb. Allow me to put your rap back on for a minute. I can almost garuntee you, had I done this I could have easily pointed out the lack of music involved, let alone the whole of societys problems.

Being a rapper pretty much requires 3 things. 1, you are black. 2, you have money enough to get a recording session. 3, you have the ability to string together groups of phrases in such a way that it rhymes and makes you look significantly more intelligent, while at the same time including 10+ explicitives per minute and mixing in some aspect of sex and/or drugs and/or killing.

I know Im being brutally raw, and stereotypical. But in all seriousness, its these same kids, today, one asked another if he could borrow the guys paintball gun. The reason? because someone stole his $5 for pot and he wanted to shoot the guy in the face.

So prove me wrong. Prove me that rap does not instill poor morals into people.

I of course, being polite, and not wanting to face the brunt of their agression did not bitch at them. But in all seriousness, I was totally ready to explode at him, and yell until my voice was hoarse and my throat sore. The world is so full of such fucking ignorant retards that I dont even know how to deal with it. For those of you who believe in heaven/hell, god, etc. I ask you, terrorism, and acts like this going around in our daily lives, we being powerless to do jack shit about it... what is hell? Cuz life seems to be pretty hellish in itself.

I will add to my rant later perhaps. I need to reorganize my thoughts...

[This message has been edited by ~unforgettableFOXfire~ (edited 10-30-2001).]


__________________
unforgettableFOXfire is offline  
Old 10-30-2001, 05:24 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
Premium Gold Member
 
SicilianGoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Smiley Land ?
Posts: 4,462
Local Time: 02:34 AM
Blarg to them!!

GAO to those who do not understand.

RAP is over rated.

------------------
Some Days Are Slippy, Other Days Are Sloppy

Sicy's Website


__________________
SicilianGoddess is offline  
Old 10-30-2001, 05:27 PM   #3
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator
 
Bonochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cherry Lane
Posts: 40,818
Local Time: 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:
Being a rapper pretty much requires 3 things. 1, you are black. 2, you have money enough to get a recording session. 3, you have the ability to string together groups of phrases in such a way that it rhymes and makes you look significantly more intelligent, while at the same time including 10+ explicitives per minute and mixing in some aspect of sex and/or drugs and/or killing.
Not all rappers are black...there's Eminem, EverLast, Bubba Sparxxx...more too I'm sure, however I am not a HUGE rap fan, so I cannot think of many right now.

Notice I said not a HUGE rap fan. I am a fan though. I love OutKast...Missy Elliot...and, yes, I even listen to Eminem. Lots of others too. I've listened to a lot of rap growing up.

As far as instilling bad morals, I have always been an honor student...I don't do drugs...I'm responsible...yadda yadda yadda...so I guess rap didn't corrupt me.


Quote:
I know Im being brutally raw, and stereotypical.
I do agree with you there.



------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."


__________________
Bonochick is offline  
Old 10-30-2001, 05:37 PM   #4
I serve MacPhisto
 
unforgettableFOXfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,053
Local Time: 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick:
I do agree with you there.

It was the only way I could prove my point.

I was making a huge generalization, there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule. Plus youre a U2 fan, I said in the other post that U2 fans are generally of higher intelligence and/or maturity. It takes maturity to be able to discern that just because someone sings about something doesnt mean its good.

Anyways, continue discussing


__________________
unforgettableFOXfire is offline  
Old 10-30-2001, 05:47 PM   #5
War Child
 
baker6621's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Earth, why have borders?
Posts: 594
Local Time: 09:34 AM
Hey Foxy

I can relate to that kind of. This kid in spanish the other day is like "nice shirt" (I was wearing my ELEVATION shirt) and I'm like "yeah, i know". And he's like "no offense, but u2 sucks and your wearing a shirt from them..." or something like that. I was about to kick his ass verbally or if not physically. I didn't get to do either cuz we were in the middle of something. Tomorrow though, I'm wearing another U2 shirt and I can't wait to see what he says. The first thing I'm gonna say is "nice shirt" and make that fag shutup.

About Rap, I don't like it much. It's very catchy sometimes, so its tough not to like. I agree though, no real skill is needed, just be able to talk fast and at a constant rate. But everyone loves rap nowadays and there is more crap than ever on the radio...not enough good music. I agree with what you said, and I can't wait to show this kid. He's such an idiot...peace.

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".


__________________
baker6621 is offline  
Old 10-30-2001, 05:56 PM   #6
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
SkeeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,164
Local Time: 04:34 AM
Outkast is wicked!


__________________
SkeeK is offline  
Old 10-30-2001, 06:08 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
Premium Gold Member
 
kobayashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: the ether
Posts: 5,142
Local Time: 05:34 AM
hey it is not rap that is your enemy. it is the mindless individuals.
there are also some people who like U2 that are idiots and would say the same ignorant thing to rap fans about turning off their music.
a lot of rap music is garbage, but so is a lot of the music that is most closely related to U2.
listen to the roots or public enemy. those are rap groups that are truly representative of the movement before it was corrupted by sprite, nike and the nba among others.

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case


__________________
kobayashi is offline  
Old 10-30-2001, 06:15 PM   #8
I serve MacPhisto
 
unforgettableFOXfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,053
Local Time: 04:34 AM
Note how I said, people piss me off. I never said rap itself pissed me off. Artists should use more descretion when making albums that potentially influence millions of weak minded individuals. Its the ignorant, the stupid, and the weakminded that piss me off. Ignorance may be bliss for some, but its a pain in the ass for people like me.


__________________
unforgettableFOXfire is offline  
Old 10-30-2001, 06:23 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
Premium Gold Member
 
kobayashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: the ether
Posts: 5,142
Local Time: 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:
Note how I said, people piss me off. I never said rap itself pissed me off. Artists should use more descretion when making albums that potentially influence millions of weak minded individuals. Its the ignorant, the stupid, and the weakminded that piss me off. Ignorance may be bliss for some, but its a pain in the ass for people like me.
i apologize and agree with you that more caution should be used. however it is not surprising that care for the public is not utilized in this context-rap is big business, a lot of money to be made and there are repeated examples in our society of throwing caution to the wayside when the greenbacks appear.
one hundred!
two hundred!
three hundred!
four!!!



------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case


__________________
kobayashi is offline  
Old 10-30-2001, 06:38 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life
Premium Gold Member
 
HelloAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: new york city
Posts: 14,537
Local Time: 05:34 AM
The following is my opinion (ONLY) regarding FOX's rant.

When you're young, especially in high school, it is often hard to see the forest for the trees. And sometimes, it's often even harder to realize that the things that make you angry - such as people not being perceptive to your point of view, your music, etc - are not always worth the anger, just like the irritants are not always worth more than one milisecond of a thought.

Rap is the product and revolution of a large population of disenfranchised citizens. Those who arent looked at as viable candidates for a job, those who cannot get a second glance for college without sports, those who have been denied many rights guaranteed other classes of citizens. And while you're young and still live at home - it's hard to visualize the hardships many face when they don't have homes - or those who have track-housing, or goverment-subsidized housing. Poverty is hard to imagine in all its forms if one is never exposed to it.

Which brings me back to the power of rap. It gives voice to those who cannot voice their opinions without being silenced. It tells tales of inner city and racism so others know they are not alone. And while the most popular rap is very materialistic and misogynistic, there are poets out there - 2Pac, Biggie, DMX and even OutKast who are out there talking about real life - the lives that they live. This music is every uplifting to the youth that it speaks to.

U2 and rock music is not always pleasant to those who feel that rock is the white man's noise - and that the white man doesn't care. The poetry of The Cure is lost on a hard core DMX fan - inner city kids don't care about "A Letter to Elise" and all it's wonderment, when they are scared to walk down the block to school for fear they might get shot. Poetry will then give way to street poetry as voiced by Common and ?uestlove of the Roots...

I don't always agree with what Rap doles out to its fans - but, I'm not the intended audience. Sure, Marketing Execs directly market to Joe the Suburban next door, and sure, whites buy 65% of Rap, but I don't live the life depicted in Rap. Retards come in all shapes, sizes, edicts, and lifestyles.
I respect rap because I respect that it gives the intended audience hope - and even if us rock and/or U2 fans don't receive the intended message, it does a wonderful service to those that it affects positively.

I believe in musicial tolerance, and not being blind enough to call the rap fans "retards." U2, especially Bono, thru music or spoken word, has always preached this creed. We may never understand why rap has any other appeal other than "phat beats," but don't discount or criticize or get overtly angry at someone who might not like guitar-based rock music. Don't let the perception of hell in adolescence cloud your judgement of other people who are different from you - you never really know where they "are coming from."

This is all my .02, and as it's a fairly positive note, I hope it can only lead to positive discussion - not necessarily against me, - but about tolerance in general.

------------------
~~~All I got is a red guitar, some Boards and my youth.~~~


__________________
HelloAngel is offline  
Old 10-30-2001, 06:57 PM   #11
I serve MacPhisto
 
unforgettableFOXfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,053
Local Time: 04:34 AM
Thank you.

No, I know, see, it was avery very generalized statement. We must keep in mind, that while I understand that the whole point of rap is to express opinions of the opressed and whatnot, you have to mind that kids, going to one of the better highschools, in one of the better parts of town, talking about shooting someone in the face because he stole his drug money is NOT an opressive situation. Im sorry but that is just people being under poor influence. What this influence might be? I dont know, but if they dont listen to their parents, they dont listen to teachers, that leaves only the media and music to influence their lives.

I said it before, and I will reiterate now. Im not sick of the rappers, nor am I sick of the music. Im sick of the mindless idiots out there that take messages like this to heart and whos behaviour begins to reflect it.


__________________
unforgettableFOXfire is offline  
Old 10-30-2001, 07:37 PM   #12
I serve MacPhisto
 
z edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: the HORROR
Posts: 4,022
Local Time: 03:34 AM
I can lissten to rap, sometimes. It is for very short periods and i have to put up with it because 90% of my friends still listen to it and think i am a little different.

The problem here in oklahoma is that people are so close-minded and resistent to change. They like what they are told to like, and they all act like a bunch of little clones. All the guys wear ballcaps and listen to rap. Then you have a few like me that are their own person and give a fuck-less what anyone else thinks.

Yes i know i am 30 and should be well past all these stages. But you all should see clearly the child in me and that could explain why I act and look almost half my age. There again I am being defiant and going against the grain, while others frow receding hairlines and potbellies and graying.

I am sick of rap though, and boy bands too. Hell, all this pop shit(e) is so overdone it needs to die. The people here in cosmopolitan oklahoma will continue to like it as long as the shit(e) radio station tells them too.



__________________
z edge is offline  
Old 10-30-2001, 07:48 PM   #13
Acrobat
 
Zoocifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: On the sheer face of love
Posts: 387
Local Time: 03:34 AM
Rap sucks - I wish it would pack up it's bags and get the fuck out of the mainstream.

Do I have to remind you what those "talented" rap stars did to Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" ? I think not.

Amen Foxfire - keep the rage a-flowing.

~Zoo~

------------------
" They had the Vision, but we had the Television " - The Edge

" What Can I give back to God for the blessings he poured out ? "


__________________
Zoocifer is offline  
Old 10-30-2001, 09:37 PM   #14
I serve MacPhisto
 
unforgettableFOXfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,053
Local Time: 04:34 AM
Well I have a midterm tomorrow, and then I have to deal with those dumbasses second period... all I can say is they better not piss me off... I can garuntee you that the rage will keep on a-flowin though. Im always enraged about something... lol

Goodnight all


__________________
unforgettableFOXfire is offline  
Old 11-04-2001, 11:17 AM   #15
Banned
 
TheU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: SI, NY, USA
Posts: 1,189
Local Time: 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:
Yesterday in computers class, I was listening to elevation on my headphones, the class was almost over, and the kids around me had turned off their rap, which mind you was VERY LOUD, to the point where I had to almost max out my volume so that it wouldnt contaminate my poor U2. Now, I unplugged my headphones after turning the volume down, but not so low that I couldnt hear it. I do so, bono comes out of the speakers, "Wooooo Ooo OH!" - the reaction from 3 people around me? "Turn that shit off", "Turn that garbage off", "What the fuck is that crap?".

This is the point of todays society? Where its all well and good to listen to what you want, but then not let someone else listen to what they want? Its these same people who were bashing my friend's Tchiakofsky and other classical music. I ask you, of all this rap, what will be around 300 years from now? I can almost garuntee you that none of it will be. BUT nonetheless, these retards have to bitch about how the music me and my friend listen to is crap. Well heres news for you, classical music is classical because its been around for SO FUCKING LONG. If it was so "crappy" we wouldnt be listening to it nowadays, because it wouldnt have lasted at all. Just like the new coke isnt around now, it was crap so people boycotted it and it dissapeared. If classical music was such crap, why would it have lasted this long? people would have ignored it and it would have dissapeared.

Same goes for rap. They sell out to the kids of today, the young and impressionable, selling poor values, sex, drugs, violence, things generally taboo to kids. Kids, in defiance, pick these things up and generally change their morals to be corrupt as those presented by the artists. So, Im sitting here, as they are total hypocrits, calling my music crappy, but not having fortitude enough to take criticisms without being complete morons 'well it just sucks, what the hell is that yelling? its dumb' hmmm correct me if im wrong, but what the hell sense does that make? Thats neither, a, a justification, or b, a good thing to say if you dont want me to explode at you. yelling = dumb. Allow me to put your rap back on for a minute. I can almost garuntee you, had I done this I could have easily pointed out the lack of music involved, let alone the whole of societys problems.

Being a rapper pretty much requires 3 things. 1, you are black. 2, you have money enough to get a recording session. 3, you have the ability to string together groups of phrases in such a way that it rhymes and makes you look significantly more intelligent, while at the same time including 10+ explicitives per minute and mixing in some aspect of sex and/or drugs and/or killing.

I know Im being brutally raw, and stereotypical. But in all seriousness, its these same kids, today, one asked another if he could borrow the guys paintball gun. The reason? because someone stole his $5 for pot and he wanted to shoot the guy in the face.

So prove me wrong. Prove me that rap does not instill poor morals into people.

I of course, being polite, and not wanting to face the brunt of their agression did not bitch at them. But in all seriousness, I was totally ready to explode at him, and yell until my voice was hoarse and my throat sore. The world is so full of such fucking ignorant retards that I dont even know how to deal with it. For those of you who believe in heaven/hell, god, etc. I ask you, terrorism, and acts like this going around in our daily lives, we being powerless to do jack shit about it... what is hell? Cuz life seems to be pretty hellish in itself.

I will add to my rant later perhaps. I need to reorganize my thoughts...

[This message has been edited by ~unforgettableFOXfire~ (edited 10-30-2001).]

50 cents for using prior to notice.

CK


__________________
TheU2 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bono LA Times interview U2ITNOL Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 5 12-24-2001 10:26 AM
Band of the Year: Rock's Unbreakable Heart Salome Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 8 12-10-2001 02:02 AM
Some of the crowd and the Ice Palace security deserved to be shot execution style U2Gator Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 14 12-02-2001 03:53 PM
THE JOSHUA TREE REVISTED spanisheyes Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 12 11-29-2001 02:29 AM
LONG Story about Chicago 10/15 about People Get Ready Louis Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 21 10-18-2001 04:56 AM



Interference.com on Facebook


Download our Mobile App

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com

U2 News Delivered to your Email!

Stay up-to-date everything U2 right in your inbox!

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]