Society, why people piss me off... (profound)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unforgettableFOXfire

I serve MacPhisto
Yesterday in computers class, I was listening to elevation on my headphones, the class was almost over, and the kids around me had turned off their rap, which mind you was VERY LOUD, to the point where I had to almost max out my volume so that it wouldnt contaminate my poor U2. Now, I unplugged my headphones after turning the volume down, but not so low that I couldnt hear it. I do so, bono comes out of the speakers, "Wooooo Ooo OH!" - the reaction from 3 people around me? "Turn that shit off", "Turn that garbage off", "What the fuck is that crap?".

This is the point of todays society? Where its all well and good to listen to what you want, but then not let someone else listen to what they want? Its these same people who were bashing my friend's Tchiakofsky and other classical music. I ask you, of all this rap, what will be around 300 years from now? I can almost garuntee you that none of it will be. BUT nonetheless, these retards have to bitch about how the music me and my friend listen to is crap. Well heres news for you, classical music is classical because its been around for SO FUCKING LONG. If it was so "crappy" we wouldnt be listening to it nowadays, because it wouldnt have lasted at all. Just like the new coke isnt around now, it was crap so people boycotted it and it dissapeared. If classical music was such crap, why would it have lasted this long? people would have ignored it and it would have dissapeared.

Same goes for rap. They sell out to the kids of today, the young and impressionable, selling poor values, sex, drugs, violence, things generally taboo to kids. Kids, in defiance, pick these things up and generally change their morals to be corrupt as those presented by the artists. So, Im sitting here, as they are total hypocrits, calling my music crappy, but not having fortitude enough to take criticisms without being complete morons 'well it just sucks, what the hell is that yelling? its dumb' hmmm correct me if im wrong, but what the hell sense does that make? Thats neither, a, a justification, or b, a good thing to say if you dont want me to explode at you. yelling = dumb. Allow me to put your rap back on for a minute. I can almost garuntee you, had I done this I could have easily pointed out the lack of music involved, let alone the whole of societys problems.

Being a rapper pretty much requires 3 things. 1, you are black. 2, you have money enough to get a recording session. 3, you have the ability to string together groups of phrases in such a way that it rhymes and makes you look significantly more intelligent, while at the same time including 10+ explicitives per minute and mixing in some aspect of sex and/or drugs and/or killing.

I know Im being brutally raw, and stereotypical. But in all seriousness, its these same kids, today, one asked another if he could borrow the guys paintball gun. The reason? because someone stole his $5 for pot and he wanted to shoot the guy in the face.

So prove me wrong. Prove me that rap does not instill poor morals into people.

I of course, being polite, and not wanting to face the brunt of their agression did not bitch at them. But in all seriousness, I was totally ready to explode at him, and yell until my voice was hoarse and my throat sore. The world is so full of such fucking ignorant retards that I dont even know how to deal with it. For those of you who believe in heaven/hell, god, etc. I ask you, terrorism, and acts like this going around in our daily lives, we being powerless to do jack shit about it... what is hell? Cuz life seems to be pretty hellish in itself.

I will add to my rant later perhaps. I need to reorganize my thoughts...

[This message has been edited by ~unforgettableFOXfire~ (edited 10-30-2001).]

Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:
Being a rapper pretty much requires 3 things. 1, you are black. 2, you have money enough to get a recording session. 3, you have the ability to string together groups of phrases in such a way that it rhymes and makes you look significantly more intelligent, while at the same time including 10+ explicitives per minute and mixing in some aspect of sex and/or drugs and/or killing.

Not all rappers are black...there's Eminem, EverLast, Bubba Sparxxx...more too I'm sure, however I am not a HUGE rap fan, so I cannot think of many right now.

Notice I said not a HUGE rap fan. I am a fan though. I love OutKast...Missy Elliot...and, yes, I even listen to Eminem. Lots of others too. I've listened to a lot of rap growing up.

As far as instilling bad morals, I have always been an honor student...I don't do drugs...I'm responsible...yadda yadda yadda...so I guess rap didn't corrupt me.

I know Im being brutally raw, and stereotypical.

I do agree with you there.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Originally posted by Bonochick:
I do agree with you there.

It was the only way I could prove my point.

I was making a huge generalization, there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule. Plus youre a U2 fan, I said in the other post that U2 fans are generally of higher intelligence and/or maturity. It takes maturity to be able to discern that just because someone sings about something doesnt mean its good.

Anyways, continue discussing

Hey Foxy

I can relate to that kind of. This kid in spanish the other day is like "nice shirt" (I was wearing my ELEVATION shirt) and I'm like "yeah, i know". And he's like "no offense, but u2 sucks and your wearing a shirt from them..." or something like that. I was about to kick his ass verbally or if not physically. I didn't get to do either cuz we were in the middle of something. Tomorrow though, I'm wearing another U2 shirt and I can't wait to see what he says. The first thing I'm gonna say is "nice shirt" and make that fag shutup.

About Rap, I don't like it much. It's very catchy sometimes, so its tough not to like. I agree though, no real skill is needed, just be able to talk fast and at a constant rate. But everyone loves rap nowadays and there is more crap than ever on the radio...not enough good music. I agree with what you said, and I can't wait to show this kid. He's such an idiot...peace.

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

hey it is not rap that is your enemy. it is the mindless individuals.
there are also some people who like U2 that are idiots and would say the same ignorant thing to rap fans about turning off their music.
a lot of rap music is garbage, but so is a lot of the music that is most closely related to U2.
listen to the roots or public enemy. those are rap groups that are truly representative of the movement before it was corrupted by sprite, nike and the nba among others.

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

Note how I said, people piss me off. I never said rap itself pissed me off. Artists should use more descretion when making albums that potentially influence millions of weak minded individuals. Its the ignorant, the stupid, and the weakminded that piss me off. Ignorance may be bliss for some, but its a pain in the ass for people like me.

Note how I said, people piss me off. I never said rap itself pissed me off. Artists should use more descretion when making albums that potentially influence millions of weak minded individuals. Its the ignorant, the stupid, and the weakminded that piss me off. Ignorance may be bliss for some, but its a pain in the ass for people like me.

i apologize and agree with you that more caution should be used. however it is not surprising that care for the public is not utilized in this context-rap is big business, a lot of money to be made and there are repeated examples in our society of throwing caution to the wayside when the greenbacks appear.
one hundred!
two hundred!
three hundred!
four!!!

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

The following is my opinion (ONLY) regarding FOX's rant.

When you're young, especially in high school, it is often hard to see the forest for the trees. And sometimes, it's often even harder to realize that the things that make you angry - such as people not being perceptive to your point of view, your music, etc - are not always worth the anger, just like the irritants are not always worth more than one milisecond of a thought.

Rap is the product and revolution of a large population of disenfranchised citizens. Those who arent looked at as viable candidates for a job, those who cannot get a second glance for college without sports, those who have been denied many rights guaranteed other classes of citizens. And while you're young and still live at home - it's hard to visualize the hardships many face when they don't have homes - or those who have track-housing, or goverment-subsidized housing. Poverty is hard to imagine in all its forms if one is never exposed to it.

Which brings me back to the power of rap. It gives voice to those who cannot voice their opinions without being silenced. It tells tales of inner city and racism so others know they are not alone. And while the most popular rap is very materialistic and misogynistic, there are poets out there - 2Pac, Biggie, DMX and even OutKast who are out there talking about real life - the lives that they live. This music is every uplifting to the youth that it speaks to.

U2 and rock music is not always pleasant to those who feel that rock is the white man's noise - and that the white man doesn't care. The poetry of The Cure is lost on a hard core DMX fan - inner city kids don't care about "A Letter to Elise" and all it's wonderment, when they are scared to walk down the block to school for fear they might get shot. Poetry will then give way to street poetry as voiced by Common and ?uestlove of the Roots...

I don't always agree with what Rap doles out to its fans - but, I'm not the intended audience. Sure, Marketing Execs directly market to Joe the Suburban next door, and sure, whites buy 65% of Rap, but I don't live the life depicted in Rap. Retards come in all shapes, sizes, edicts, and lifestyles.
I respect rap because I respect that it gives the intended audience hope - and even if us rock and/or U2 fans don't receive the intended message, it does a wonderful service to those that it affects positively.

I believe in musicial tolerance, and not being blind enough to call the rap fans "retards." U2, especially Bono, thru music or spoken word, has always preached this creed. We may never understand why rap has any other appeal other than "phat beats," but don't discount or criticize or get overtly angry at someone who might not like guitar-based rock music. Don't let the perception of hell in adolescence cloud your judgement of other people who are different from you - you never really know where they "are coming from."

This is all my .02, and as it's a fairly positive note, I hope it can only lead to positive discussion - not necessarily against me, - but about tolerance in general.

------------------
~~~All I got is a red guitar, some Boards and my youth.~~~

Thank you.

No, I know, see, it was avery very generalized statement. We must keep in mind, that while I understand that the whole point of rap is to express opinions of the opressed and whatnot, you have to mind that kids, going to one of the better highschools, in one of the better parts of town, talking about shooting someone in the face because he stole his drug money is NOT an opressive situation. Im sorry but that is just people being under poor influence. What this influence might be? I dont know, but if they dont listen to their parents, they dont listen to teachers, that leaves only the media and music to influence their lives.

I said it before, and I will reiterate now. Im not sick of the rappers, nor am I sick of the music. Im sick of the mindless idiots out there that take messages like this to heart and whos behaviour begins to reflect it.

I can lissten to rap, sometimes. It is for very short periods and i have to put up with it because 90% of my friends still listen to it and think i am a little different.

The problem here in oklahoma is that people are so close-minded and resistent to change. They like what they are told to like, and they all act like a bunch of little clones. All the guys wear ballcaps and listen to rap. Then you have a few like me that are their own person and give a fuck-less what anyone else thinks.

Yes i know i am 30 and should be well past all these stages. But you all should see clearly the child in me and that could explain why I act and look almost half my age. There again I am being defiant and going against the grain, while others frow receding hairlines and potbellies and graying.

I am sick of rap though, and boy bands too. Hell, all this pop shit(e) is so overdone it needs to die. The people here in cosmopolitan oklahoma will continue to like it as long as the shit(e) radio station tells them too.

Rap sucks - I wish it would pack up it's bags and get the fuck out of the mainstream.

Do I have to remind you what those "talented" rap stars did to Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" ? I think not.

Amen Foxfire - keep the rage a-flowing.

~Zoo~

------------------
" They had the Vision, but we had the Television " - The Edge

" What Can I give back to God for the blessings he poured out ? "

Well I have a midterm tomorrow, and then I have to deal with those dumbasses second period... all I can say is they better not piss me off... I can garuntee you that the rage will keep on a-flowin though. Im always enraged about something... lol

Goodnight all

Yesterday in computers class, I was listening to elevation on my headphones, the class was almost over, and the kids around me had turned off their rap, which mind you was VERY LOUD, to the point where I had to almost max out my volume so that it wouldnt contaminate my poor U2. Now, I unplugged my headphones after turning the volume down, but not so low that I couldnt hear it. I do so, bono comes out of the speakers, "Wooooo Ooo OH!" - the reaction from 3 people around me? "Turn that shit off", "Turn that garbage off", "What the fuck is that crap?".

This is the point of todays society? Where its all well and good to listen to what you want, but then not let someone else listen to what they want? Its these same people who were bashing my friend's Tchiakofsky and other classical music. I ask you, of all this rap, what will be around 300 years from now? I can almost garuntee you that none of it will be. BUT nonetheless, these retards have to bitch about how the music me and my friend listen to is crap. Well heres news for you, classical music is classical because its been around for SO FUCKING LONG. If it was so "crappy" we wouldnt be listening to it nowadays, because it wouldnt have lasted at all. Just like the new coke isnt around now, it was crap so people boycotted it and it dissapeared. If classical music was such crap, why would it have lasted this long? people would have ignored it and it would have dissapeared.

Same goes for rap. They sell out to the kids of today, the young and impressionable, selling poor values, sex, drugs, violence, things generally taboo to kids. Kids, in defiance, pick these things up and generally change their morals to be corrupt as those presented by the artists. So, Im sitting here, as they are total hypocrits, calling my music crappy, but not having fortitude enough to take criticisms without being complete morons 'well it just sucks, what the hell is that yelling? its dumb' hmmm correct me if im wrong, but what the hell sense does that make? Thats neither, a, a justification, or b, a good thing to say if you dont want me to explode at you. yelling = dumb. Allow me to put your rap back on for a minute. I can almost garuntee you, had I done this I could have easily pointed out the lack of music involved, let alone the whole of societys problems.

I know Im being brutally raw, and stereotypical. But in all seriousness, its these same kids, today, one asked another if he could borrow the guys paintball gun. The reason? because someone stole his $5 for pot and he wanted to shoot the guy in the face.

So prove me wrong. Prove me that rap does not instill poor morals into people.

I of course, being polite, and not wanting to face the brunt of their agression did not bitch at them. But in all seriousness, I was totally ready to explode at him, and yell until my voice was hoarse and my throat sore. The world is so full of such fucking ignorant retards that I dont even know how to deal with it. For those of you who believe in heaven/hell, god, etc. I ask you, terrorism, and acts like this going around in our daily lives, we being powerless to do jack shit about it... what is hell? Cuz life seems to be pretty hellish in itself.

I will add to my rant later perhaps. I need to reorganize my thoughts...

[This message has been edited by ~unforgettableFOXfire~ (edited 10-30-2001).]

50 cents for using
icon31.gif
prior to notice.

CK

Yeeesh! having read that I just have no faith in my generation.

I come from the UK where 8 years ago two 10 yr old boys abducted a toddler from a shopping mall and took it to a railroad where they subjected it to acts of torture which ended in the murder of a 3 year old boy. When questioned the murderers said they'd just watched a movie called Childs Play and they were renacting the killing of Chuckie because the kid looked like him.

You really can't underestimate the influence of violence on kids too young to draw the line between reality and fiction.

You know I once read about an album where God turned some fallen rappers on to U2... Wait, here's the promo poster. (I had to lighten the mood just a tad in here)
u2rap.jpg

Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon:
I do think it varies, though.

True - I don't mean everyone is so easily influenced! It just worries me that people can actually take things like rap music and movies seriously. So Solid Crew played a gig near me and it ended in a gunfight! Yeesh - I'll be sticking to U2 gigs!

Originally posted by TheU2:

50 cents for using
icon31.gif
prior to notice.

CK

Dear CK:

It has come to our attention that you are
claiming the copyright for the
icon31.gif
smiley and that you have been charging for its usage. This is now in dispute. The true owner of the smiley has contacted our agency. We feel you have violated our client's copyright. Therefore, we will be contacting you regarding legal action. We will be suing for the sum of $100 million for copyright violations and an additional $25 million for the emotional trauma suffered by our client. We suggest you obtain legal counsel.

Originally posted by doctorwho:
Dear CK:

It has come to our attention that you are
claiming the copyright for the
icon31.gif
smiley and that you have been charging for its usage. This is now in dispute. The true owner of the smiley has contacted our agency. We feel you have violated our client's copyright. Therefore, we will be contacting you regarding legal action. We will be suing for the sum of $100 million for copyright violations and an additional $25 million for the emotional trauma suffered by our client. We suggest you obtain legal counsel.

Can this be a class-action lawsuit?
biggrin.gif

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by doctorwho:

We are looking into a class-action suit regarding the fraudulent charges Mr. CK has placed on his "customers." We will be in contact.

MT has been retained for legal services. Bring it on!!

CK

Ignorance may be bliss for some, but its a pain in the ass for people like me.

If ignorance were bliss, more people would be smiling!!

I like some early rap, i.e. {M.C.} Hammer, and some that is incorporated with catchy background music. But in general, I'm not a rap fan.

Fox, I was teased when I was growing up, for liking Elvis! I didn't tell any of them when I became a Roy Orbison fan. I graduated in 1981, and I didn't hear of U2 until after I graduated.

The heck with those other people who tease you about U2. They can listen to whatever they want, and you just continue to listen to U2.

------------------
"You're dangerous...'cause you're honest"

[This message has been edited by MysteryGirl (edited 11-04-2001).]

I'm rather leaning toward Foxxie on this one. The only rap that I ever HEAR around my neighborhood is the EXTREMELY LOUD THUMPING AND BUMPING coming from people's CARS as they drive through my (what once was) quiet neighborhood at all hours of the day and night (3 AM is a typical time - WTF are these people trying to prove by cranking their speakers up to "11" with their windows down at this time of night anyway??? Buncha inconsiderate a**holes.)

(*George Costanza: we're living in a society here!!!)*

There is VERY little rap I like at all...I think the majority of it is nihilistic, angry, violent and downright frightening. The lyrics I've heard coming out of peoples' cars at the grocery store, the mall, etc. literally scare the sh*t out of me. There's NO good coming from this stuff. I KNOW this stuff influences the way people think and act in society, because I can see it in my own neighborhood.

I have TRIED very hard to listen, understand and like the stuff. I can't do it. But it's in the mainstream now and there, SADLY, it remains. The stuff simply SUCKS.
mad.gif

Originally posted by Discoteque:
I'm rather leaning toward Foxxie on this one. The only rap that I ever HEAR around my neighborhood is the EXTREMELY LOUD THUMPING AND BUMPING coming from people's CARS as they drive through my (what once was) quiet neighborhood at all hours of the day and night (3 AM is a typical time - WTF are these people trying to prove by cranking their speakers up to "11" with their windows down at this time of night anyway??? Buncha inconsiderate a**holes.)

(*George Costanza: we're living in a society here!!!)*

There is VERY little rap I like at all...I think the majority of it is nihilistic, angry, violent and downright frightening. The lyrics I've heard coming out of peoples' cars at the grocery store, the mall, etc. literally scare the sh*t out of me. There's NO good coming from this stuff. I KNOW this stuff influences the way people think and act in society, because I can see it in my own neighborhood.

I have TRIED very hard to listen, understand and like the stuff. I can't do it. But it's in the mainstream now and there, SADLY, it remains. The stuff simply SUCKS.
mad.gif

If I ever figure out how to post pictures on here, I'll post my cartoon that depicts a car with the booming speakers, falling apart in the middle of an intersection, with tires, nuts and bolts flying in all directions!!
biggrin.gif

That "U2 tribute thing cracked me up!!!

------------------
"You're dangerous...'cause you're honest"

LISTEN TO THIS YA ALL, three years ago i was in school and had ira writen on my bag and also wrote HOLD ME THRILL ME KISS ME KILL ME, and this dud asks me that i wanted to did and i laughed and this other guy who was in my class who looks like a skate border says no you dummy its a song and i was like write on dude(was surprised he knew.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

hey i also do make fun of people who like dress like rappers and listen to rap. when ever a person like this crosses me i say to who ever is in my company yoyo(like a brother
smile.gif
. yoyoy aint no thang like a chicken wing and alot of different shit. so dont mind the fools.i have a huge sign on the back of my car that reads ZOOTV.aint no fool gona mess with me or my u2.we need mor3e people like me.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

Sorry you feel so badly foxfire.
It's all about tolerance IMHO.Good luck 2 U musiclover.

[This message has been edited by cass (edited 11-04-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom