Society, why people piss me off... (profound)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate rap.
It is crap.
That was a rhyme.
Ain't I sublime?!

Well 80s, that was half an hour well spent!!
wink.gif

Originally posted by DrTeeth:
Well 80s, that was half an hour well spent!!
wink.gif
Half an hour? Naw, that took 10 seconds. Give me an hour, and I'll write something the length of the Canterbury Tales!!

There's rap... and then there's rap...

I started listening to more rap this year... But not your illiterate, sex-drugs-and-money rap...

I bought CDs that actually had something intelligent and positive to say:

A Tribe Called Quest (jazzy)
Common (Native Tongue)
Blacke Eyed Peas
Jurassic 5 (old school revival, i highly recommend them)
Public Enemy (classic)
Biz Markie (another classic, ok, he's just fun and chill)

All I can say is that I like to broaden my horizons... and I'm not trying to say that I'm a white man trying to be a brother, or a brother trying to be a U2 fanatic... All I'm saying is that I'm interested in hearing what any intelligent artists have to say.

--------

Your skin is white, but you think you're a brother
Some days are better than others.

I see everyone's point here--I do enjoy some rap. What pisses me off are the losers who try and pretend that they're black, or that they're ghetto b/c they listen to it. We have guys (in my former high school) that would blast it and act all tough and huge...similarly, we had idiots listening to 'gino beats' (think of dance music with the bass turned waaaaaay up)...blasting this crap throughout the town. I just want someone to listen to something of quality for once, not necessarily U2, just, MUSIC!

Personally, i'm indifferent to rap most of the time. Neither yay neither boo about it.

Like you said, Jeremy, it's sad how some children and young teens take media or music/movies to be their idols the wrong way and do violent things afterwards. I think that, if a person is prone to being intolerant, violent...he will be that way with or without outside influences. Even though those can help to trigger it.

On the other hand, rap is IMO a lot about attitude and just posing as a "bad boy". I don't think rappers really mean what they say in their songs. Also, i think making music is better than ending up on the streets (in case of rappers) anytime.

Having said that, i liked Lauryn Hill's songs from her solo CD. It has positive messages, Lauryn has a beautiful, soulful voice (my favorite song is "Everything is everything"). Try it out sometime!
I think Will Smith has this nice groovy/funky style and doesn't use cursing unlike most rappers (neither does Lauryn Hill). At least that's my impression from his vides on MTV.

ps: As for those guys calling U2's music crap, who cares?
You have your own music taste, and they have their own.

pps: I was just making a tape out of various music and it turns out i like a few (not all) of Lauryn's songs: Ex-factor, Everything is everything, Miseducation of L. Hill, Can't take my eyes off of you and Tell him.

------------------
"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge

"Something inside said this could be everything in your life." - Bono

"U2 as a band does things nobody one else can. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

"Adam believed in the band before anyone did." - Bono

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 11-06-2001).]

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:

Half an hour? Naw, that took 10 seconds. Give me an hour, and I'll write something the length of the Canterbury Tales!!

Your time starts... NOW!!

Back
Top Bottom