So when is it time to move on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VertigoGal said:

btw- i just noticed that the dude in your avatar looks just a tiny bit like the guy in you signature pic :hmm:

It should. The dude and the guy are one and the same. :)

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I think the way you feel about U2 is how I feel about REM these days. I haven't bought the last two CDs, and this use to be a band that I bought everything at the midnight sale. But I'm still a fan.

Me, too. I was even into them before their first record came out because a friend of mine had seen them in clubs and sent me a tape of unreleased material. I haven't bought their last two records either but I still went to see them last year and loved the show.

Anyway, I think it's cool that people who are fans of U2's older material but not the new stuff still post in here because it just goes to show how much they once meant to them and on some level, still do. I have no problem with people expressing their opinions. Sometimes it gets too negative around here for me so rather than be negative about the negativity I just don't come in here much. I'm still a huge U2 fan but I actually prefer talking about other artists these days. Maybe I'm just running out of things to say about U2.

Between the post above mine [edit: the post is no longer above mine, it's MattfromNYC's] and the first post, I feel like I'm intruding on somebody's personal conversations with their significant other about a breakup. :ohmy:

But I have to agree, U2 hasn't felt as... U2 as they used to. They feel too poised, too polished, too calculating now. And all I feel it really makes for is over-production. There was a rawness about every album until ATYCLB. Even the clothes they wear now (I know this is petty) look ultra-designer and really expensive, perfectly fit, whereas on the Popmart tour... well, you know. You could find those muscle shirts in a trashy souvenir shop.

I do like HTDAAB, I play it a lot, but I don't feel the deep connection I have with JT, AB, Zooropa, or Pop. It just sounds like a bunch of nice songs; there's nothing I want to play over and over and over again until my ears bleed like I do with Bad or Acrobat or IGWSHA, because they pierce me so much. Here's to hoping they don't overproduce and overthink this next album.

indra said:

So my question is, when is it time to move on? Or when does one become not a fan, or become a former fan?

I think my time has come. I am no longer waiting in great anticipation for what u2 are going to do next. I know I was up until the last album, even though ATYCLB was also disapointing. I used to get very excited about new snippets of songs, what was going on is the studio etc but I think that has left me now. No problems though I'm sure U2 have plenty of new fans that still wait with great anticipation for what they do next. I feel a bit sad about it having definetly lost the enthuiasm and even though I have seen the Vertigo tour it may well be the last tour I see. I feel as though there isn't that much U2 could do now to re-ignite the fire I once had for their new music. I hope the new fans have them same feelings I had up to a few years ago about the best band in the world.:wink:

Give it up it's not going to happen. I've tried, I'm still trying. It's hopeless.

biff said:

Michelle, what do you mean? Am I misreading you? Do you hate them now?

No, and I totally disagree with most of what Indra has said about them. I'm just saying once they are in your blood, giving them up (even the obsession for your own good) is hopeless~ ;)

U2Kitten said:

No, and I totally disagree with most of what Indra has said about them. I'm just saying once they are in your blood, giving them up (even the obsession for your own good) is hopeless~ ;)

Ah, I see. And I agree.

And by the way, how the hell are you?:D

The last two albums are excellent and if you give them a solid chance you will see they are still evolving. They are excellent in my opinion.

Now about the live shows- how in the world can you say you would not enjoy seeing them live anymore? I purposely have taken people to U2 shows that I knew were not fans and hands down evrytime they have converted. They are the best live act period there will ever be.

Back in 1987, JT was released. I disliked so many songs on it at the time - and I loved UF - that I would only listen to the first three songs from JT (which were also the three hits) and turn it off. It took me quite a while to discover (or rediscover) some additional gems on it (like "One Tree Hill"). But coming from a person who adored UF, you'd think I'd be estactic with JT. And indeed, I was thrilled with U2's success. However, I found that while I liked JT, I didn't love it. I listened to a lot of other music that year.

In 1997, I bought "Pop" and was initially enamored with it. Loved it - felt it was better than "Zooropa" and I really liked "Zooropa". But then the novelty of "new U2" wore off - fast. Within months, I was appreciating prior U2 works more. Recently, I discovered that "Pop" hasn't aged well with me at all. When I listen to it, I'm reminded of moments of my life from 1997, but in terms of song quality, it does little for me. It's probably the U2 album I now like least!

There are oceans of JT fans on this site. There are tons of "Pop" fans on this site. And while I still enjoy both albums quite a bit, neither album holds a special place in my heart. I found myself listening to other artists more.

You may feel the same way about ATYCLB and HTDAAB. I find it hard to comprehend you hating HTDAAB, but then, you may find it hard to understand why I don't "worship" JT. :shrug: I love both of U2's new albums. This seems to be the closest U2 has come to the sound I originally loved back in 1984. But clearly this sound isn't for everyone. So go listen to other music. Who knows, perhaps with the next album, you'll love U2 again - and maybe I won't. ;) But if not, does it really matter? U2 were a big part of your life for many years. People change. U2's sound has changed, your tastes have changed and clearly the two aren't merging. Nothing wrong with that. At least, Indra, you have the class and skills to succinctly state why you don't like the new work without finding the need to unnecessarily disparage U2, unlike certain members here.

* Edited to add that even though I felt JT was indeed the best album of the year - it wasn't, by far, my personal favorite U2 album. As such, I found myself enjoying other music more. However, with AB, U2 reignited my passion for them tremendously. Something similar may happen to you. Even though you may stray or put U2 aside for a while, you never know what a new album can do.

Last edited:
elevateandy said:
Now about the live shows- how in the world can you say you would not enjoy seeing them live anymore? I purposely have taken people to U2 shows that I knew were not fans and hands down evrytime they have converted. They are the best live act period there will ever be.

Oh. Pretty simple actually. I can't stand crowds and I hate huge venues. I haven't been in a venue that holds over 1200 people in well over a decade and even that filled is about my upper limit for crowd size.

As soon as U2 starts playing clubs again I'll think about seeing them. :) But since we all know that ain't gonna happen I put seeing them live out of my mind.

Last edited:
indra said:

Oh. Pretty simple actually. I can't stand crowds and I hate huge venues. I haven't been in a venue that holds over 1200 people in well over a decade and even that filled is about my upper limit for crowd size.

As soon as U2 starts playing clubs again I think about seeing them. :) But since we all know that ain't gonna happen I put seeing them live out of my mind.

they've been selling out crowds like that since... UF. wtf?

i think their music is better off IN a stadium. you feel more of the effect from ALL of the people and bono sure gets off on it. :wink:

i dunno. just a personal opinion.

what i meant to say.. was that their music and shows are too too powerful for a small club.

but of course... you wanna be in the best section.. while seeing them at a stadium. it can change things immensely... as everyone knows.

Oh God yes let's all cry about the bad things about U2, come on let it out.

All you former big fans, now casual fans, please hold hands and dance in a circle and post more threads with sweet reminiscence and gripes and nitpick about the band.

There we all had a good cry.

Now, when is it time to move on from this thread?

MattFromNYC said:
what i meant to say.. was that their music and shows are too too powerful for a small club.

but of course... you wanna be in the best section.. while seeing them at a stadium. it can change things immensely... as everyone knows.

It's not so much that as it is that I get creeped out in large crowds. So no matter how great the show is, I'm gonna be completely stressed in large crowds. I went to a few arena shows (never managed to see U2 though) years ago, but could never really enjoy them. So it would be pointless to go through the hassle and expense of getting a ticket to a show I could not enjoy.

Canadiens1160 said:
Oh God yes let's all cry about the bad things about U2, come on let it out.

All you former big fans, now casual fans, please hold hands and dance in a circle and post more threads with sweet reminiscence and gripes and nitpick about the band.

There we all had a good cry.

Now, when is it time to move on from this thread?

Feel free not to read or post here. There are 95,516 other threads on this site. Go play in those if you don't like this one. Thank you. :madspit:

Last edited:
VertigoGal said:

i knew it! :evil:

dont know why i put the evil smiley there...

i think this thread is quickly going downhill, but you tried:wink:

Steve's an evil smiley kinda guy...it's part of his charm. :yes: ;)

Good question.

I've though each Radiohead record from 2000 to now has been gobbledygook. So, you won't find me on a RH board complaining or leaving 1 shot lines after each bit of news.

The fact people can't let go of U2, and still hang around even though they hate and despise the band, is a good gauge of how brilliant they are.

Also, U2 fans are the most broad reaching of all bands, from uber-indie snobs to top 40 disciples. This place provides a real good cross-section of musical tastes. Something you won't find on a Bon Jovi OR Radiohead board.

MrBrau1 said:

Also, U2 fans are the most broad reaching of all bands, from uber-indie snobs to top 40 disciples. This place provides a real good cross-section of musical tastes. Something you won't find on a Bon Jovi OR Radiohead board.

That's a big part of the reason I'm on this board...there's a lot more than just U2 here, so if they aren't floating your boat, you can find someone who is (or at least something else to talk about).

indra said:

That's a big part of the reason I'm on this board...there's a lot more than just U2 here, so if they aren't floating your boat, you can find someone who is (or at least something else to talk about).

I'd read in another thread, you've never heard the song Zooropa. Well, here it is, 192 kbps MP3. :wink:

http://s37.y o u s e n d i t.com/d.aspx?id=1NQXYAYWEDJ600NZSCFXK1TCBP

When is it time to move on?

It's different for different people.
Apparently for some it's when it hurts your own self-image.

If you cried "sell out" at some certain time.

I am talking about you.

I am talking about me when I was 16. Things are different now.
Have you gotten the clue yet?

MrBrau1 said:

I'd read in another thread, you've never heard the song Zooropa. Well, here it is, 192 kbps MP3. :wink:

Thanks! :)

Downloading now.... My pc is mindnumbingly slow, but it's getting there.

Me too, re: Zooropa.

And me too, re: not being a big fan of REM anymore. They're still my second favorite band, but there's a biiiiig gap between U2 and them. The gap widened quite a bit after the last two albums. But I still really enjoy enjoying their other albums, so there you go.

For years, while my love for U2 has stayed the same, the "obsessive" level of my fandom participation has wavered in their "off" years. There was a huge gap between when I registered on Interference and when I started posting with any frequency.

Based on my past experiences, I fully expect my obsession to die down a bit again after the tour, and I'll probably post less here, but that's what I do.

Hm, I guess that isn't really about moving on from U2, just moving on (and coming back) from Interference. So uh ... yeah. Never mind. It's late and I just got back from a holiday picnic.

:wink:

corianderstem said:
Me too, re: Zooropa.

And me too, re: not being a big fan of REM anymore. They're still my second favorite band, but there's a biiiiig gap between U2 and them. The gap widened quite a bit after the last two albums. But I still really enjoy enjoying their other albums, so there you go.

For years, while my love for U2 has stayed the same, the "obsessive" level of my fandom participation has wavered in their "off" years. There was a huge gap between when I registered on Interference and when I started posting with any frequency.

Based on my past experiences, I fully expect my obsession to die down a bit again after the tour, and I'll probably post less here, but that's what I do.

Hm, I guess that isn't really about moving on from U2, just moving on (and coming back) from Interference. So uh ... yeah. Never mind. It's late and I just got back from a holiday picnic.

:wink:

I fell off the REM boat a while back. But very easily jumped back on when I updated my cassette versions of "Life's Rick Pageant", and "Reckoning." I also rediscovered "New Adventures In High Fi." It was also far to easy to forget how perfect "Automatic ForThe People" is. They're so ace.

U2DMfan said:
I had to laugh when Indra said she hasnt heard Zooropa.
I am supposed to beleive that?

Well I have heard it now, thanks to MrBrau1. (I could get used to this song. :) I'll give it several more listens.)

You can believe whatever you want, I generally don't torture those who's belief doesn't match mine (well...occasionally, but that's just for fun :wink: ). But I haven't heard it before tonight. My heyday as a U2 fan was in the 80's and during most of the 90's I didn't have a clue what they were doing, and I've heard very little of their work from that period.

Back
Top Bottom