So what would POP sound like with all the remixed songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Auxtung Beibi

Babyface
So here's the tracklisting of a more "polished" POP:

1. Discotheque (New Mix)
2. Do You Feel Loved
3. Mofo
4. IGWSHA (Single Mix)
5. SATS (New Mix)
6. Last Night on Earth (Single Mix)
7. Miami
8. Playboy Mansion
9. Velvet Dress
10. Please (Single Mix)
11. Wake Up Dead Man

First, am I missing any "revisionist" mixes; that is, single mixes substantially different from the original?

Second, what's your take on this? I mean, usually I don't consider radio or single mixes the most loyal expression of the artist's vision, but POP seems like a special case due to the haste with which it was produced. If POP sounded like the above playlist, would it lose some of its rawness?

You forgot Gone (New Mix). :p

I think that with the new mixes I would not like POP as much. I love the originals of Discotheque and Gone. Staring at the Sun is a little improved but not too much. The single mix of Please is superior though. The single mix of Last Night on Earth isn't that much different from the original. Just a different break down and slightly different effects in the beginning. Overall I think POP is better the way it was than if it instead had the new mixes. I do think that If God Will Send His Angels and Miami definately need new mixes. Those are two songs I feel disappointed by on the original. Especially Miami which was totally awesome live.

No way! Pop is better the way it was. I prefer the old Discotheque and the old Gone. I like the new Gone though, the orchestration and music's become more clear and so has Bono's voice.

I need to listen to the new SATS mix. Can someone gimme the link to the site or the actual file?....please!!!!

Nice signature by the way, Achtung Zooropa. Isnt Orgazmo simply hilarious?

Auxtung Beibi said:
So here's the tracklisting of a more "polished" POP:

1. Discotheque (New Mix)
2. Do You Feel Loved
3. Mofo
4. IGWSHA (Single Mix)
5. SATS (New Mix)
6. Last Night on Earth (Single Mix)
7. Miami
8. Playboy Mansion
9. Velvet Dress
10. Please (Single Mix)
11. Wake Up Dead Man

First, am I missing any "revisionist" mixes; that is, single mixes substantially different from the original?

Second, what's your take on this? I mean, usually I don't consider radio or single mixes the most loyal expression of the artist's vision, but POP seems like a special case due to the haste with which it was produced. If POP sounded like the above playlist, would it lose some of its rawness?

1. the original of disco is far better
2. n/a(dyfl)
3. n/a(mofo)
4. eh.....either way, not a great tune to begin with(igwsha)
5. original is better(lnoe)
6. same as above(sats)
7. what I just said(gone)
8. n/a(miami)
9. this song sucks no matter what (playboy)
10. perfect (velvet dress)
11. original better(please)
12. n/a

my verdict: remixes:down:

POP's imperfections were its strength. The unfinished nature of the songs gives a very exhaustive and dense listening, which is why it works. So I think as a Best Of single compilation it doesnt matter how much they change the songs, cause in the bigger picture it always adds value for money...but I wouldn't be quite happy if they decided to put these new mixes on POP and re-release the entire album even in a non commercial capacity.

i'll have to listen to it like this to see if i like it or not. the remixes may be better than the originals (i don't know either way, i haven't listened to the new mixes enough), but the songs may not mesh the way the originals did on pop.

I'm burning a new version of POP as soon as I get the BEST of 1990-2000.
Goodbye old Discotheque at long last!!!

One of my few hopes that came true about the new Best Of was the new mix of GONE. The studio version sans Edge's backing vocals (as added in the live version) was always weird to hear.

I lov POP TARTS

It will sound awful .
But i will have nothing against " boys " , if they would release special edition like Velvet Underground did with " Load " album , i mean two discs , one original , one full of remixes , alternate versions and b-sides , justice Peace and everybody 's happy !!!!!
Am I a genious or what ????? :censored: :censored: :sexywink:

Se7en said:
the new mix of discotheque would stick out like a sore thumb. the others would work well though, i suspect. :crazy:
that's what i was thinking.

i tried to do this once with another album. it had so many alternative mixes, so i put my favourite on instead of the album mix. it sounded good, **but** it was because the remixes were true to the song. they were either a shortened or longer version of it, really.

but then i tried it with another album, where some songs were literally reworked and re-recorded. it sounded bad. the songs were all great, but they didn't mesh like the album tracks.

so in closing, i think if we were talking about substitutions for say, an album track with a single mix, it would be fine. but a reworked song, or a remix that sounds radically different from the original isn't a good idea.

Well..

I had a post about "reconstructing POP" - apparently the moderators closed it for no reason. Thanks for starting the thread again. What I'd really be interested about is if some POP haters will change their minds after this "reconstructed POP" album featuring all the revisions, completions and reworkings. To an extent, I would also like to add Velvet Dress as another reworked POP song as their live arrangement was totally different from the studio version -it had no Chris Isaak spoken-word crooning and did not have the guitar solo. U2 did try that crooning with guitar solo version in Popmart opening night but soon reworked it to be more simple and straight to the point. So POP bashers, do these new mixes change your mind? Or at least do these new mixes make you hate POP less?

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Back
Top Bottom