So what do you all think the album will sound like ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EvolutionMonkey

Acrobat
Rumours aside, in your hearts of hearts ( if you have more than one heart :ohmy: ) how do you think it will sound ? Do you think it will be stripped down punk rock like the initial opinions were or ATYCLB with a harder edge ? or could it be slow to medium distortion rock like Achtung Baby ? So what is your guess ?

My verdict is if it is more or less the same as Atyclb then it will be a disappointment and that would be the first u2 disappointment for me cause i liked atyclb but i don't want another, i would however be happy with another JT or AB. :drool: Having said that i have no clue what it will sound like because they always like to add stuff so stripped down might be out the window. :shrug:

Last edited:
It's not gonna be another ATYCLB, AB or JT.
The new album will bright itself... and it's gonna be a masterpiece.

... I hope.

I think "War meets Achtung Baby" talk might be a good description: more guitars (Bono and Edge both said this), faster paced songs (Edge) yet still song oriented. With Edge talking about wanting to "explore what a guitar can sound like in a rock band" it probably means new sounds/effects.

Kind of like Electrical storm demo version, but with more punch and drive.

Last edited:
It's been described by some sources (close to the band, of course :p ) as "space garage"...

... so, I started thinking "Holy Joe (Garage Mix)"... and definitely... I want to hear it NOW!!!!

space garage eh? punk rock from venus eh? exploring all the possabilities of what a guitar can sound like eh?

hmmmmmmmm... :hmm:

edge_tom.jpg

with audioslave talking about how they're recording their joshua tree, perhaps u2 is recording their audioslave/rage... hmmm...

Last edited:
I imagine it'll be akin to the new mixes of Gone and Discoteque in terms of guitar sound. :hmm:
Holy Joe's probably a safe bet as well. That's what I think when I hear "space garage."

There's something lurking in the back of my mind saying "AB" and not because that's my initials.

I don't really want another AB...i'd be very happy with another Zooropa though...Zooropa crossed with UF/JT would me my dream album. It's not going to happen, but I can dream...

U2girl said:

Kind of like Electrical storm demo version, but with more punch and drive.

But that's what i'm freaked out about, not that i didn't like Electrical Storm but if there was an entire album of songs in the vein of ES then I would be hugely disappointed. :( Having said that I loved the 4:16 version of Electrical Storm, I think it was the one that came on the radio before the official release.

Axver said:
There's something lurking in the back of my mind saying "AB" and not because that's my initials.

Well that's what i'm thinking too, AB guitar sounding but the songs will be faster, personally i want slow songs like Love is Blindness and One and i'm sure they will throw a couple on but we can only pray they will have the passion of those songs.:angel:

victor_f said:
It's not gonna be another ATYCLB, AB or JT.
The new album will bright itself... and it's gonna be a masterpiece.

... I hope.

I certainly hope it will be a masterpiece as well and if it's a whole different sound from thier previous albums (like many think) then it's amazing to think that they have some new sound for us and we're clueless as to what it is. :)

When I hear the word garage rock or space rock i think of remixes like Holy Joe like Rastat and Dorian Gray were saying but i'm not sure if an album of remixing sounding music is a good idea it could become POP 2 to the general public. :ohmy: remember we love U2 no matter what album but Joe Public is what U2 seems to care a lot about because they will make this album succsessful or not successful in terms of record sales and that's very important to U2.

[badtaste]i'm hoping the new album sounds like nickleback and creed!!!!![/badtaste]

Everyone keeps blending their older albums to make a new recipe for the new album...

Isn't it possible it'll sound like something U2 has never done before?

ZigZag said:
Everyone keeps blending their older albums to make a new recipe for the new album...

Isn't it possible it'll sound like something U2 has never done before?

That's what I mean...
Well said.

It will follow ATYCLB. I think U2 are well beyond the "experimental" days of UF, Zooropa, Passengers and Pop. They'll go for great songs. Shouldn't that be enough at this point?

I think it's going to be a combination of War, Achtung Baby, ATYCLB and something else. Aggressive, raw but still with some experimentations and a few slow moments and songs here and there. Hopefully there will be more up-tempo songs, definitely more guitar driven songs and I also think The Edge is not going to be the one who is going to shine the brightest here, I really think that Larry's drums will be very strong on the final mixes. Larry has always been a rock n' roll drummer and I love his playing, if these songs come out as angry then I think that a lot will have to do with Larry. Bono should do a lot of screaming too and as much as I like the kind of personal lyrics from ATYCLB I prefer the lyrics from Achtung Baby and Pop where stories are told and cool lines are thrown around. But I think the lyrics will be more personal. I wish the lyrics were more like Bullet The Blue Sky, Last Night On Earth, The Fly and Until The End Of The World. That?s how I like them.

I wish the lyrics were more like Bullet The Blue Sky, Last Night On Earth, The Fly and Until The End Of The World. That?s how I like them. - well put. i'd like some more lyrics like that. AB lyrics, guitars similar to AB, but heavier, R&H singing style, and War drums....Me Gusta !!

Numb1075 said:
I wish the lyrics were more like Bullet The Blue Sky, Last Night On Earth, The Fly and Until The End Of The World. That?s how I like them. - well put. i'd like some more lyrics like that. AB lyrics, guitars similar to AB, but heavier, R&H singing style, and War drums....Me Gusta !!

Oh my God! You just described the perfect album. That?s definitely how I want it too.

A heavier Achtung Baby would kick major ass, more songs like The Fly and Until the End Of The World but as I said more up-tempo and less mid-tempo stuff.

The R&H vocals are in my opinion the best vocals Bono has ever recorded, Desire, When Love Comes To Town, the amazing screaming part on Hawkmoon 269, the even better shouting and screaming on All Along the Watchtower, Angel Of Harlem, Silver And Gold all have a real rock n' roll feel thanks to Bono's vocals. If Bono at least try to sound like that it would be awesome.

I always thought that Larry's best job was on War, his drums are very powerful and aggressive and I think that?s how he is going to sound on the new record, I?m really waiting to see him playing the new songs.

I think you and I have similar tastes Numb1075! :up:

I really hope that Bono doesn't over emphasize the falsetto and or raspy singing. Listened to the Corrs/ Bono duet on Summer Wine (I think its the song title)... Bono sounds great when there is that contrast of highs and lows (mostly lows). When Bono sings low tones it sounds great. The falsetto can geta annoying and causes people to not take you seriously.

I can't deny that I love AB. I also wonder if there can only be one AB in the band's fate and if that's the way it should be. Classic albums (any albums for that matter) or just any forays into music should not be repeated, I never thought that was what U2 is about so I'm kind of siding with the people that say it will be like nothing U2 has done before. Except of course it will still be completely U2. If that makes any sense.

Either way, if we're going to get all historical I've been listening to October lately and I've fallen so deeply for it I seriously wouldn't mind that sound to influence the new album. The whole idea of scrapping an album together in a short amount of time is fantastic. It's raw and gorgeous and I think on few albums does Bono sound better. Maybe its just me. And hey it took me a long and twisted distance to get here.

But I guess the quick fix can't really happen given that it seems they've been working on this album for quite a while.

Whatever, we'll see what we'll get I suppose.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom