So wait... this really happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
im glad they did it, the last thing i want to see on a music dvd is ugly people

StlElevation said:
diamond was that at the 6/6 or 6/8 show?

6-6 was boston 2 the show w all the hububula, and protesters and ppl that are now bitching about the presale.:wink:

6/9-boston 4 was the show w me and bono.:)

db9

Last edited:
I remember that controversy on wire. No matter why they did it, it wasn't nice. Having suffered long hours in GA lines, I have to say NO ONE should lose their earned spot. It's too hard to hold your place and if you do, you deserve it, no matter how many times you've seen the show or how ugly you are. They came up with this stuff that no spot was guaranteed, sure, then why did people camp, sometimes overnight, to get the good spot? If it was all luck nobody would bother. You EARN it and it's hard work. I'm glad to know this was the only time this was done, though there were a couple times where the wrong doors being opened let people way back beat those in front (first Atlanta and Phoenix come to mind)

oliveu2cm said:
My opinion and others who were also there and cut in line differ, and some of the people with different opinions than me I really respect. But, I just have to say, that part of the reason U2 brought in others who hadn't been waiting as long, in my understanding, is that they wanted new faces. At this point in the tour there were people who would leave the show early just to get in line for the next night's show. U2 wanted fresh people, new energy, new faces up front. They probably wanted new stimulation for the show, new challenges to create a high energy.

Obviously things backfired and it upset a lot of fans. Maybe I was naive back then but, even though I was cut in line too, I got over it after 5 minutes. :shrug: But like I said, other people have different opinions and I really respect some of them, so take what you want from it all. All I know is this issue is a huge can of worms. Careful opening it. ;)

Thank you Oliveu2cm.

IMO, this is a very nasty rumor.

Yes, fans that were not in the very front of the line were allowed to go in. But, sorry, I didn't think these were the best looking people in the world. I feel this was the rationalization given to those who felt slighted. Ironically, two of the people complaining the loudest were two very attractive women - and they same women had gone from show to show to show to show to show... In other words, these people were U2's equivalent of a "Deadhead" (Gratfeul Dead follower) - but far worse. A "Deadhead" enjoyed the music, the people, the tour, the experience, and yes, the drugs :wink: of being in the crowd at a Grateful Dead concert. In contrast, these U2 fans felt that the ONLY spot they deserved was right up in front by the stage. Nothing else would do. I want to emphasize the word "deserved" - these fans felt that they truly had the right to this spot every single concert. No one dare get in the way. In fact, those in front of the stage got to know each other well - some always stood by Adam's side, some by Edge's side, etc. So they'd watch out for each other. But no one else dare get that position by the stage and no one esle dare get into their little clique.

I'm not saying this out of bitterness or spite, it's the truth. I chatted with these people - online too. And they truly believe this. In contrast, I loved just being IN the heart. I didn't want a spot by the tip of the heart or by the stage. I liked walking around in the heart and chatting. I wasn't this bizarre fanatic who had to have only one spot.

So when these people didn't get that spot, they revolted. Being in the heart wasn't "good enough" for them (despite the fact that only a scant 300 people each concert got into the heart). No, they deserved that spot by the stage. They didn't get it and they rebelled.

Some may say it's fair - they were the first in line and deserved that spot. Bull. First, as I wrote, these people followed U2 around - they were in that spot almost every show. It's little wonder why U2 wanted to see different faces. Second, standing in line guaranteed NOTHING! It was a fan decision to stand in line to try to get into the heart. But no venue, no concert said that standing in line guaranteed you a spot in the heart, much less by the stage or tip. Their tickets guaranteed them GA spots and they got it. By being early in line, they got in the heart.

So, IMO, these were really spoiled nasty fans - the worst type - that ruined the DVD and the concert experience for many with their selfishness.

U2's management certainly screwed up with the whole U2.com thing, but I don't slight them here. And having seen the Boston DVD, I know that the "best looking" people weren't chosen for the heart or the tip. I know people who are on the DVD at the tip and, sorry, sweet and kind, but not "models". So I don't believe this story of picking "good looking" people at all. It's just bitterness from some selfish fans.

U2Kitten said:
I remember that controversy on wire. No matter why they did it, it wasn't nice. Having suffered long hours in GA lines, I have to say NO ONE should lose their earned spot. It's too hard to hold your place and if you do, you deserve it, no matter how many times you've seen the show or how ugly you are. They came up with this stuff that no spot was guaranteed, sure, then why did people camp, sometimes overnight, to get the good spot? If it was all luck nobody would bother. You EARN it and it's hard work. I'm glad to know this was the only time this was done, though there were a couple times where the wrong doors being opened let people way back beat those in front (first Atlanta and Phoenix come to mind)

See, I disagree.

I waited outside all day too. But not for one moment did I actually think that I "deserved" a spot or that I "earned" it. In contrast, I hoped that by waiting in line, it would give me the chance to be in the heart and close to U2. It worked, but I never felt I "earned" it. Nor did I feel that it was "hard work". Sorry, but I guess my concert experience was vastly different than yours.

Hence, all the more reason why I felt those whining fans had no right to complain. At no time did waiting in line guarantee you anything. You can say it all you want, but it means nothing.

I will agree, though, that it was probably a mistake U2 or their management did this and fortunate it only happened once. U2's fans complain and they complain loudly. ;)

As I wasn't there, obviously I can't say much about what happened in Boston.

But in regards to lines, it is conventional wisdom in every day life that when you queue up and wait in line for something, you go in after the people in front of you. Just like in taxi cab lines in airports, and just like in nightclub lines. It's reasonable to get upset if you have been waiting for hours to get into something only to have other people who didn't wait go in ahead of you.

Take me for instance, I waited 10 hours outside in Las Vegas before an Elevation show. Had the venue security let the stragglers in first, there would have been serious problems. That's the issue with general admission - first come, first served. That's why people wait in line for so long - so that they can get into the desired position close to the stage. I dunno... maybe that's just me. :shrug: I don't see it as whining, I see it as the understood purpose of waiting in a line.

For this tour, I don't care enough to wait in lines anymore and deal with that drama. I almost got trampled in the Atlanta GA riots and felt my lungs dry out in Las Vegas waiting for the doors to open.

diamond said:

no.
u got the story all wrong.

makes me chuckle.

i was tackled and Bono sprang me free.

read a first time u2 concert's goer's diary-

The fan reached out to Bono, wordlessly asking for his help. The singer stripped himself of his guitar and chucked it at a stage hand. He covered the distance between the center of the stage and the right corner in a fraction of a second. He pushed off one security guard and then another. He shouted something, but with the din of the screaming crowd and Edge's lead guitar, I didn't hear what he said. One security guard or two persisted in forcibly removing the fan. Bono pulled an arm back, hand all fisted up. He was livid. Security let the fan go and the man got up and went with Bono to the center of the stage. The crowd was ecstatic. It was like a victory for fans everywhere. The fan picked Bono up and swung him around (he towered over the little frontman by a good four to six inches). Then, the fan took a lap around the heart and disappeared into the crowd once more as Bono and U2 finished up the show.

thx for the laugh.

peace,

db9
:)

I was joking around.... forgot the smiley :)

... I remember the incident and remember it being something of a "story of the night" on Interference.

doctorwho said:

. I liked walking around in the heart and chatting. I wasn't this bizarre fanatic who had to have only one spot.

I agree w this.
I kinda have a hard time staying in one spot too.:sexywink:

Lastly-
General Admission means general admission w/no assigned seating.

period.

If your 3 feet for one hour and ppl shift and bump around and the wind up 10 feet from the stage as the tide changes, that's life in 'general admission', deal with it, and please plez shut the fu#k up.

I wonder how many of these whiners would last at a
Sex Pistols,
Clash
or
Ramones show that had general admission?:hmm:
Bands that Bono loved, Bono himself had bumped around in the G.A. section of their shows I suppose in years past. .:)

peace,

Db9
:wink:

Last edited:
I heard it was all for the television appearance, they wanted some 'good looking' faces to be at the bottom of the heart.

doctorwho said:

U2's management certainly screwed up with the whole U2.com thing, but I don't slight them here. And having seen the Boston DVD, I know that the "best looking" people weren't chosen for the heart or the tip. I know people who are on the DVD at the tip and, sorry, sweet and kind, but not "models". So I don't believe this story of picking "good looking" people at all. It's just bitterness from some selfish fans.

Maybe U2 fans are generally ugly people and thats the best people they could pick out at the time.

I agree with U2Kitten... with that said, those psycho deadhead-esque (no offense) fans were overly dramatic & IMO need to prioritize a little.

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:

I was joking around.... forgot the smiley :)

... I remember the incident and remember it being something of a "story of the night" on Interference.

cool brother.:wink:
db9

Matthew_Page2000 said:
The angle from U2 fans at the show: We waited in line all night and U2 security cut the pretty people in front of us.
The band just wanted the pretty people in the heart for the camera's to pick up for the HBO special.

The angle from Bono and U2: It had nothing to do with the show coincidentally being filmed for HBO and a DVD. The same thirty people kept appearing in the Heart in front of the stage at every single show and the band just wanted to give other fans a shot at the heart.

The odd coincidence: The night they filmed for the DVD was the only night they moved pretty people up in line on the whole tour. Apparently the only time the band cared about new faces and new energy was when the cameras were rolling. How...interesting.

Also odd that they only cared about allowing the pretty, young fans a shot at the heart.

But U2 has always wanted to be the biggest band in the world. To manage that they have to be willing to play the game, and this is a prime example of that.

diamond said:
Dave_BONO_01.jpg

Bono said I could only stay on stage with him for only a little bit cuz I didn't rank too high on the pretty meter:angry:

db9

Either you're huge, or Bono's a really short little devil! :ohmy:

(Sorry, I don't really get into all the vital statistics stuff, so I have no clue.)

HelloAngel said:
As I wasn't there, obviously I can't say much about what happened in Boston.

But in regards to lines, it is conventional wisdom in every day life that when you queue up and wait in line for something, you go in after the people in front of you.

Exactly. People got in the heart because they were first in line.

That said, those fans shouldn't have to take it out on the band and spoil the show for others.

indra said:

Also odd that they only cared about allowing the pretty, young fans a shot at the heart.

But U2 has always wanted to be the biggest band in the world. To manage that they have to be willing to play the game, and this is a prime example of that.

WRONG!

They didn't allow "only the pretty young fans a shot at the heart"! I said it before and I'll say it again - all those whining fans WERE IN THE HEART!

The difference is that they weren't right up by their "reserved" spot by the stage. In other words, they felt just being in the heart wasn't good enough for them - these fans wanted to be right in front of Bono or Edge or Adam as they had been for the past 30+ shows. The one time U2 said "enough - let's see new faces" these spoiled fans became irate and sat down in the heart.

Sorry, but this still ticks me off to this day! These fans are spoiled and make me sick.

Now, was it right for U2 to select fans? Why not? At no time did waiting in line guarantee anyone a spot in the heart, much less by the stage. So again, I see nothing wrong here. The fans who waited still got into the heart. And, from my perspective, it wasn't just "pretty people".

To add, from what I read from stories of the accounts, the people that were 'handpicked' were often also quite to the front of the queue. So they probably would have made the heart anyway (like those not getting to the front got into the heart). Sure, there were people down the line who suddenly got a major promotion.

I guess U2 were tired of people yawning for hearing Out Of Control for the 5th time since Edge didn't play the second note different from the 4th time.

:shrug:

doctorwho said:

- all those whining fans WERE IN THE HEART!

U2 fans are the biggest whiners on the planet. There are actually quite a few people, in the Tour Forum, bitching because they got 2 GA, and now they can't get anymore GA for the same show in the general sale. They wanted 4 GA tickets, and poor them they only got 2.

How is it possible to be able to get to the front of the heart at show after show in city after city? Yeah, I know you've gotta be dedicated and camp out for the GA doors to open but how do you constantly get the most in-demand tickets for every show in every city?

Gawd, I'm a piker as far as fandom goes.

HelloAngel said:

But in regards to lines, it is conventional wisdom in every day life that when you queue up and wait in line for something, you go in after the people in front of you. Just like in taxi cab lines in airports, and just like in nightclub lines. It's reasonable to get upset if you have been waiting for hours to get into something only to have other people who didn't wait go in ahead of you.

This isn't relevant but I'm bored so anyway........ queuing is "conventional wisdom" in European based cultures. Its not so in many other parts of the world. Even when people appear to be forming a queue it still isn't a queue as when the bus arrives its every person for him/herself.

doctorwho said:

See, I disagree.

I waited outside all day too. But not for one moment did I actually think that I "deserved" a spot or that I "earned" it. In contrast, I hoped that by waiting in line, it would give me the chance to be in the heart and close to U2. It worked, but I never felt I "earned" it. Nor did I feel that it was "hard work". Sorry, but I guess my concert experience was vastly different than yours.

:huh: Sure is stupid to spend hours on a cold dirty sidewalk if there is no payoff. I'm not whining for myself, it didn't happen to me. I'm just saying having been through some long rough GA experiences I pity anyone who didn't get the spot they were trying for. If those who wait don't 'deserve' the spot why even have GA lines? Why even sit there? :shrug: It's like saying, well I'm going to work 8 hours, but you don't have to pay me :crack:

Every Elevation show was under the same policy: you get in line and wait, and it's first come first serve for the best available spot of your choice. If that was not to be the case, the fans should have been alerted early in the day so they wouldn't waste their time. Some people even missed school or work to make the heart.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom