So the question is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

God Part III

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Have they done another Achtung Baby? :D

What's your thoughts? What albums surpass it?
Is it their best album ever?
How is it ranked according to you?

I think that the AB lyrics are better. More big themes, in songs like UTEOTW, One, Acrobat, Love Is Blindness... I don't see it in this album. (didn't listen to the leaks yet, so I can't judge on the music)

1. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
2. The Unforgettable Fire
3. The Joshua Tree

I spent about twelve hours resisting that, thinking that such placement was rash, but ... it's warranted. U2's albums do something indescribable to me, and what this album has done to me is beyond what any others have done.

And I really am not fussed at how it rates against Achtung Baby. That's about eighth or ninth for me on my ranking of U2 albums. For me, it's whether they've done another UF or JT, and the beauty about Hut Dab is that it has the best elements of both of those albums and nothing weak at all. Every single song can stand by itself. There isn't a weak track on this masterpiece.

TheFlyOnTheWall said:
I think that the AB lyrics are better. More big themes, in songs like UTEOTW, One, Acrobat, Love Is Blindness... I don't see it in this album. (didn't listen to the leaks yet, so I can't judge on the music)

Well music plays a big part in this new album. So you might wanna listen to the leaks ;)

H-Have
T-They
D-Done
A-Another
A-Achtung
B-Baby

Either noone got it or I have a weird sense of humour.

bono_man2002 said:
it needs a few more days to sink in for me....
I think its better than Achtung right now....

I don't think I'm quite ready to state that it's better than AB... But I think it is better than JT. That's saying something, because JT is just about perfection, in my eyes.

Yup I agree. Better than Joshua Tree but not as good as Achtung. That's not a bad thing at all though. AB is their all time masterpiece I think. This is a masterpiece too though.

Achtung has only one song that isn't incredible, while this has three songs that are just darn good, but not incredible. Of course that may change as time goes by.

Last edited:
almost

anyway, HTDAAB is great... but AB is still my favorite album

better, ask me again in one year :wink:

Last edited:
Way too early to judge. I'm geeked out right now that's for sure.
I know that the core tracks are comparable (MD, Sometimes, COBL etc). For me it will depend on how Crumbs, aMaaW and One Step Closer age. I like them right now. If they seep into my heart and stay there than yes.

p.s.- AB has one advantage--it was a brilliant reinvention of the U2 sound and style. In that sense it will always be more important.

starsgoblue said:
Matt...I love that you said, "geeked out" :laugh:

I thought I was the only one who still said that! :wink:

:huh: You mean there are only two people on earth still saying "geeked out"? No wonder people look at me funny.

Only 30 and I'm already uncool. :(

No, it's not another Achtung Baby... though it´s a great album..

HTDAAB is not as original, doesn´t have so many solos (and guitar play overall) and doesn't flow so elegantly as AB... but I guess you could say it's more emotional and passionate than AB... IMHO :)

I think it is way too early to compare it to this or that album. In hindsight it may be better or worse than we originally thought. I think it might be their best....but I'm totally "geeked out" right now!!:huh:

Last edited:
elevation said:
No, it's not another Achtung Baby... though it´s a great album..

HTDAAB is not as original, doesn´t have so many solos

:mad: What is it with you guys and "solos." One of the reasons I loved U2 in the first place was the relative absence of solos.
I'm 30 years old and remember the late seventies and early eighties with a great deal of horror. Long haired mustachiod dudes in sequin suits wanking away for 15 minutes. :uhoh:

Horrifying stuff really. I don't miss it.

Back
Top Bottom