So the "mother of all rock tunes" is Vertigo...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2One

War Child
from U2.com

Bono: ‘It started out life as a song called “Native Son” and it sounded great if a little earnest and a little predictable from us. Then we were having some fun with this riff that Edge had up his sleeve from a year previous - when he was calling it “Full Metal Jacket” - we were just playing around with it and that’s when it turned into “Vertigo”, almost beat poetry, light vers

comments???

Vertigo definitely feels like early U2 (albeit, more sophisticated). More than one casual fan has mentioned this to me in the past week (some are liking it better than anything released in the last 10 years).

Maybe what Bono meant by 'the mother of all rock tunes' was that it was a nod back to their roots?

I didn't buy Bono's description not for a minute. The guy IS one big exaggeration. Don't listen to him.

dude, does no one realize that Full Metal Jacket was called the mother of all whatevers, NOT Vertigo?? Vertigo is only the end product of the song development progress, so calling saying Bono intends Vertigo to be the mother... is jsut inaccurate

I love this song, my kids love this song, my wife is warming up to it, so it must be good!!!

You know it's the closest that U2 will ever get to a "feel good" Pop/Rock song. Sure the lyrics are a bit deeper than that, but it's a fun song none-the-less.

im with Lancemc- 'full metal jacket' was a different piece that evolved into 'vertigo'. im really hoping we get 'native son' and 'FMJ' as the b-sides to vertigo down the road so we know what the 'mother' sounds like.

if you think about, it IS the mother to vertigo....think about it. maybe bono wasn't so off on what he said :wink:

I somehow think Bono was just exagerating. If FMJ really was the mother of all rock tunes why would they trash it for Vertigo?

Bono was just exagerating.

shart1780 said:
I somehow think Bono was just exagerating. If FMJ really was the mother of all rock tunes why would they trash it for Vertigo?

Bono was just exagerating.

I'm sure he was exagerating, but FMJ could have been and probably WAS a lot more rockin then Vertigo, but it probably wouldn't have fit the ablum then, or somebody in the badn wasnt' happy with the results. Just look at She's Gonna Blow your House Down from the Achtung Baby outtakes, that's the mother of all rock songs, and that didn't make the album...go figure.

Lancemc said:

Just look at She's Gonna Blow your House Down from the Achtung Baby outtakes, that's the mother of all rock songs, and that didn't make the album...go figure.

I think its amazing they haven't used the riff from that song in some form yet..its so powerful and memorable!

Lancemc said:

I'm sure he was exagerating, but FMJ could have been and probably WAS a lot more rockin then Vertigo, but it probably wouldn't have fit the ablum then, or somebody in the badn wasnt' happy with the results. Just look at She's Gonna Blow your House Down from the Achtung Baby outtakes, that's the mother of all rock songs, and that didn't make the album...go figure.

It's cool, but definitely not the mother of all rock songs.

This quote confirms that Native Son and Full Metal Jacket were two DIFFERENT songs, and they merged into ONE song to create Vertigo. Native Son was a more fully developed song, and Full Metal Jacket was just a riff, and that's probably why it just had a provisional title.

Lancemc said:

All Because of You = She's gonna blow your House down

Same music....different lyrics......

wow, whatever ...I love bono. truly madly deeply. you'd think i could stay awake long enough to reallyfeel writing the sentence, since I woke up to say it, but damned if I'm not nodding off.

If they didn't do anything with the High as a Kite\Salome stuff from AB outtakes, i'm gonna be pissed. Also, 'Take Today' and 'Heaven and Hell' had unlimited potential. These songs could have been absolute masterpieces, they were brilliant from the demo's.

Take Today became North And South Of The River, if I remember correctly.

FMJ may never have been a full track, just a 'riff' 'idea' 'tune'..whatever you want to call it. Native Son was a more complete song but after incorporating the FMJ 'idea' it eventually became Vertigo.

North and South of the River is NOTHING compared to Take Today. Take Today is a masterpiece, and I can't see any real similarities to North and South of the River.....

AussieU2fanman said:
North and South of the River is NOTHING compared to Take Today. Take Today is a masterpiece, and I can't see any real similarities to North and South of the River.....

If "Take Today" is SUCH a masterpiece, I'm sure they either worked it into another song or its on this album, or future material i.e. B-sides or another record.

If not then maybe it really wasn't a masterpiece. To each his own I guess.

AussieU2fanman said:

The only time U2 played NASOTR live they used the horns from Take Today. Note for note.

Also, I think you can link Heaven And Hell to Your Blue Room. They sound quite similar.

C ya!

Marty

djerdap said:
I didn't buy Bono's description not for a minute. The guy IS one big exaggeration. Don't listen to him.
:hmm:

why do you listen to u2 then?

Flying FuManchu said:
I thought the Edge said that several songs came out of Full Metal Jacket/ Native Son. Sort of how Lady With Spinning Head had riffs from The Fly and Ultraviolet.

I agree.

and by the way, is that Scott Stapp as your Avatar????:ohmy:

Probably a good lesson for you newer U2 fans. Bono is and always has been about hyperbole.

When he said the "mother of all rock tunes" did you actually expect the MOTHER OF ALL ROCK TUNES? A little naive don't you think What he probably meant is "it's a really cool rock tune" and you put it thru the Bono hyperbole filter and you get what you get.

He's always said stuff like this.

I think So Cruel evolved from Take Today and Heaven and Hell.
I've listened to the Achtung Outtakes alot in the last 6 months and I can tell you I keep hearing something similar in Vertigo...

Back
Top Bottom