So, the 200 greatest albums ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMelon said:

:| Pink Floyd never experimented with their sound to the extent that Radiohead did.

Uh...no. :|

Radiohead started out as typical brit pop (Pablo Honey), moved into alternative rock (The Bends, OK Computer), fiddled around with strange synth sounds for two albums (Kid A, Amnesiac), and then went back to the alternative rock sound (HTTT).

Pink Floyd started out as a psychedelic pop/rock band (The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, A Saucerful Of Secrets), moved into avant-garde experimentation (More, Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother), into a tamer sort of art rock/beginnings of prog rock (Meddle, Obscured By Clouds), progressive rock (Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals), a mixture between progressive rock and generic rock (The Wall, The Final Cut), 80s cheese (A Momentary Lapse Of Reason) and finally back to a more prog sound (The Division Bell).

I love Radiohead to pieces, but to say that they experimented more with their sound than Pink Floyd is bloody absurd.

GibsonGirl said:

into a tamer sort of art rock/beginnings of prog rock (Meddle, Obscured By Clouds), progressive rock (Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals), a mixture between progressive rock and generic rock (The Wall, The Final Cut), 80s cheese (A Momentary Lapse Of Reason) and finally back to a more prog sound (The Division Bell).

I don't hear much difference at all in those. :huh: It was more like simple progression. :shrug:

I don't even consider Syd Barrett Floyd to be the same band that made Dark Side anyway (and that's not just because I find Syd Barrett Floyd to be sonic wankery defined...but because it was written by a different man, with no Gilmour...it's like calling Squeeze an experimental Velvets album :lol: ).

So that leaves More through Atom Heart Mother, which I will concede were very experimental albums. On the other hand, I can listen to Cymbaline and then listen to songs from Obscured By Clouds and it isn't even remotely jarring. Listen to Airbag or Street Spirit and then listen to anything at all from Kid A and it's more than slightly shocking.

Also, Pink Floyd recorded 13 albums, and Radiohead has only recorded 6. It's not quite fair to compare them yet.

Also:

LemonMelon said:

Listen to Airbag or Street Spirit and then listen to anything at all from Kid A and it's more than slightly shocking.

Listen to Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict and then listen to Hey You. Shocking, no?

And when you say that Syd Barrett Floyd wasn't the same band that made Dark Side Of The Moon, what about A Saucerful Of Secrets? David Gilmour played on that album, which is an extension of the psychedelic rock sound on Piper. Let There Be More Light and Corporal Clegg could have EASILY fit on Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and Syd had nothing to do with either of them.

Seriously, LemonMelon, Pink Floyd were no less experimental than Radiohead. The only reason why Radiohead seem to be more experimental to you is because they have fewer albums. The fact that Pink Floyd spaced their experimentations out over more albums doesn't mean anything, it just means that they dwelled on one sound for a little longer before trying something different.

And if you don't hear huge differences between albums like Dark Side Of The Moon, Animals, The Final Cut and A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, well...I'm sorry, you can't have listened to them all that closely.

GibsonGirl said:

Seriously, LemonMelon, Pink Floyd were no less experimental than Radiohead. The only reason why Radiohead seem to be more experimental to you is because they have fewer albums. The fact that Pink Floyd spaced their experimentations out over more albums doesn't mean anything, it just means that they dwelled on one sound for a little longer before trying something different.

:hmm: You're right. That must be it.

Let's wait until Radiohead release another 7 albums before we dust this conversation off again. :ohmy:

AB > JT

I never understood why critics liked ATYCLB so much. With the exception of a few tracks, it's an awfully mediocre album. I don't think 00s U2 is bad (because I like HTDAAB...mostly) but I think that it should go AB > JT > War.

25-40 of that list is just terrifying to me, but Bat Out of Hell is on there :happy: but not even So by Peter Gabriel is on there :cry:

and, $.02, AB>UF>JT>ATYCLB

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom